Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/8 08:56
We're doing some wedding preparation in a hotel, but I only booked it under my name as a regular booking.

There'll be a model, hair and makeup artist, designer and 1 assistant using the room.

I was wondering if there are usually any other things that need to be done with the hotel for this sort of thing?

Or is it fine as it is?
by Saus (guest)  

Re: Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/8 10:29
I assume the hotel does not have any problems with such a thing, as long as they do not stay overnight and make a big mess.

But why don't you ask the hotel directly? I guess their feedback is a lot more precise and helpful than ours...
by asdf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/8 10:32
Lots of hotels have a policy not to allow anybody but the registered guests into the guest rooms. So, you better inquire with the specific hotel in advance.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/8 11:38
I checked into one of the major hotels in Tokyo.

It was a booking for two but when I checked in I was by myself and the person behind the counter changed my room to a single unbeknownst to me.

As my Fiance and I made our way to the room, like any hotel, I noted their surveillance camera's. Inside the room the phone rang and the person behind the counter asked me if I was alone.

It was eventually sorted.

by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/8 13:31
You better tell the hotel ASAP what you are planning to do!
Don't people have any common sense anymore?
It is bad enough that you rented a room as one at first, without thinking to tell them that there would be 2 of you!

You are going to freak them out when they see a whole bunch of people, that aren't guests of the hotel, going into you room with bags etc....

Would you be able to do that in your home town??
by Donald (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/8 15:38
Donald...calm down :)

I can invite as many friends as I want into my hotelroom in my homecountry as long as they do not sleep over
by asdf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/8 16:24
Many hotels in Japan specifically request that you entertain guests in the lobby rather than your room. Not sure if this applies to the OP's hotel but its worth a check. Bottom line, ask your hotel what their policy is. They may consider what you plan to do to be commercial in nature and in violation of their policies.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2012/5/8 17:29
You are going to freak them out when they see a whole bunch of people, that aren't guests of the hotel, going into you room with bags etc....

Would you be able to do that in your home town??

Yes, that's perfectly normal where I'm from! I have been to many weddings where everyone gets ready in the Bride's hotel room, including makeup artists, photographers, and all the bridesmaids being in the room at once. There is certainly no extra charge for this and you don't have to let the hotel know in advance.

It is also fairly common to book a room as a single person and then have an extra guest stay over in the room. Hotels here usually charge per room, not per person, so I also know people who crash on the couch, the floor, etc.

To be honest, it always feels "unusual" booking in Japan where you usually pay per guest instead of per room.

Anyway, back to the original topic, just ask the hotel directly.

by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/8 17:50
There'll be a model, hair and makeup artist, designer and 1 assistant using the room.

Is this for a photo shoot or a real wedding? I ask because I recall you asking questions about doing photo shoots and hiring models before.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/10 09:05

Besides permission at front office management, there is a matter of space- most hotel rooms are meant only as lodgings.

Do verify size of room.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/13 09:20
To GC3 and ASDF, I don't want to hijack this thread But, what you do in your country is your business, japan has there rules and regulations , just live by them.
by AusMex rate this post as useful

Re: Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/13 15:17
In the USA, it is customary to use a hotel room for the wedding preparation for all involved even though all don't overnight in the hotel.
Check into Grand Hill Hotel Ichigaya. It is a wedding hotel has its own chapel & a classic convertible car to shuttle a very short distance the newly weds between the hotel & the chapel.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/5/13 16:43
To GC3 and ASDF, I don't want to hijack this thread But, what you do in your country is your business, japan has there rules and regulations , just live by them.

You might want to go and re-read this thread, as I haven't said anything to contradict that at all. I was just commenting to Donald about his shock and horror, especially his "Would you be able to do that in your home town??" (Yes!). I even said "Anyway, back to the original topic, just ask the hotel directly."

Hope this helps!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Using a hotel room for wedding prep as it is? 2012/5/13 17:36
In Japan, I would say it depends on the hotel.

If it's a hotel where wedding banquets are normally held, and if you are holding a banquet there, there will be a dressing room near the banquet hall. And if there are some family members or the couple staying over, the hotel wouldn't mind people coming in to greet or get dressed or whatsoever.

I just hope it's not any small business hotel or simply "accommodation," where, as suggested by someone else, normally they ask you to refrain from bringing in other guests to your room.

I'm also wondering if Saus means a real wedding or a photo session.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread