Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

carrying around a towel 2012/6/23 22:56
I will be visiting Japan in early september, and I know it is usually pretty hot and humid around that time in Tokyo. I normally sweat a lot in the heat. Would it be rude for me to carrying around a small towel? Thanks in advance.
by john (guest)  

Re: carrying around a towel 2012/6/24 08:40
Where I live - in the very hot Japanese countryside - almost everybody walks around with a towel in summer. Many wrap it even permanently around their neck as shown on the following picture:
http://img5.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ybi/1/71/4f/byd02445/folder/306881/img_3...

I don't think the permanent wrapping is considered fashionable in Tokyo, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: carrying around a towel 2012/6/24 11:03
As Uji says, it would actually be very Japanese of you to carry around a small towel. It's a great idea, and much better than dripping with sweat. Basically everyone from junior high school girls to office workers in suits does in summer- you'll fit right in!
by Sra (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: carrying around a towel 2012/6/25 07:41
a handkerchief is one thing, everyone has one.

a white towel however is the mark of old guys and old ladies from the countryside - don't wear a towel around your neck in tokyo or people will laugh at you!
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: carrying around a towel 2012/6/25 08:00
Can't see Uji's picture =(
by maurom rate this post as useful

Re: carrying around a towel 2012/6/25 08:29
You should carry one for not only for sweat but for drying hand after rest stops. No rest rooms has paper towels nor air dryers to dry your hands(except at few high end hotel, department or restaurant rest rooms). I usually have a small but thick towel(handkerchief is too thin) in my pocket instead of Japanese style thin & long one(usually free give away) carrying around my neck in the city.
Make sure to wash & dry well at night as it gets musty smell very easily.
Also get free tissue packs(even though low quality) giving away on the street or at train stations.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: carrying around a towel 2012/6/25 08:56
No rest rooms has paper towels nor air dryers to dry your hands(except at few high end hotel, department or restaurant rest rooms).

Just to add, things have improved considerably over the last few years to this regard, and you'll now find air dryers in most newer public restrooms. Older restrooms (such as in the subway stations, many parks, etc.) however, will still not have dryers so it is a good idea to carry around a small handkerchief.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: carrying around a towel 2012/6/25 10:58
Thanks everyone! I think I will carry a small towel and just put it in my backpack.
by john (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: carrying around a towel 2012/6/25 11:32
The fabrics in Japan are amazing. Advise that you get a chill towel to wipe or chill scarf to tie round neck-it is trendy (and cooling) either inside or outside shirts.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: carrying around a towel 2012/6/27 08:03
I use a cute small towel for such heat. It is not a problem to carry and use one. It is much better than having sweat on your face!
by hirosumi rate this post as useful

Re: carrying around a towel 2012/7/10 13:04
I think what many Japanese use to wipe sweat is identical in appearance to what I would call a face cloth or face flannel used to scrub your face. Only difference is the way it is used, you carry in around with you in your pocket to wipe sweat rather than to wash your face in the bathroom.
A small towel sounds a bit too large. What the Japanese use is square and facecloth sized (about the same size or smaller than a handkerchief), that is why it fits in your pocket rather than in a bag.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread