Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Asked to model on the street? 2012/7/17 21:20
I was walking across the street that separates the station from the shopping area and major department stores when I'm approached by a guy with a pamphlet that politely explanes that he wants me to hair model for his saloon.
As I politely do not refuse immediately (I'd say I've been quite curious for a minute) I'm introduced to another man and a lady. After more explanations, I'm showed some examples, they both hand me their business cards and the pamphlet before I leave.
Now, I've checked the cards, and they seem legit: the internet adress of the hair saloon is correct, the place actually exists, and so does the the agency from the other guy's card. Both of the cards feature the adress, mobile mail, mobile, fax and telephone, plus the hair saloon site is actually advertizing for model.
Forgeting all modesty, it is true that I might be model material: almost in every conversation I had with locals (even shop assistants) they managed to slip in compliments on my looks. (long brown hair, blue eyes, bronzed, slim but not especially tall lol) This is why I am actually concerned, I don't want to go anywhere near serious with this, but I AM quite curious and If this is not a scam I'l very much like to do it.
But I've heard that is not new stuff that girls are approached by fake agencies only to be abused or blackmailed.

What should I do? They mailed me.
by Padme (guest)  

Re: Asked to model on the street? 2012/7/18 12:29
I do not know about the salon in question. What I do know is that it is not uncommon for hair salons to seek models.

It is not modeling in the classic sense. Salons often want 'models' to practice new styles on. You mentioned too that you have long hair which makes you a great candidate as stylists (and especially apprentices) are keen to give someone with long 'virgin' hair a whole new look.

Hope this helps.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asked to model on the street? 2012/7/19 03:04
Hi Padme

According to my survey,
In Japan, there are currently about 1,000 hair salons searching for hair models. Not all hair salons can search for hair models, but only qualified (officially reliable) hair salons can do it.

The reason why they are searching for good hair models is to learn how to trim human hair well. That is, the hair salon thought that you were a good "human guinea pig." Usually, in this case, novice stylists working there trim your hair first and then their boss (experienced stylist) advise them what should be modified.

There is a benefit also for you: You don't have to spend any money for hair trimming.
It's a kind of voluntary job for helping novice employees.

Note: your hair-style photos will be later inserted in an unknown fashion magazine as a part of an article advertising the hair salon. As far as I know, it is highly unlikely that your voluntary job will change into a money-making job in the near future.
by dosanko100 rate this post as useful

Re: Asked to model on the street? 2012/7/19 12:08
Not to suggest this is the case for you, but if its specifically hair models they're looking for, your looks are a lot less relevant than your hair. I've been a hair model in the UK before, because I have a LOT of hair and stylists love to mess with it, and I really don't get compliments on my looks at all because frankly I am pretty plain. But my hair is the kind stylists like to run their hands through and effuse about, go figure.

You won't necessarily get styled by juniors - I was a model for a senior stylist and she did some pretty fun things in the way of colour and cut on mine - and for free, obviously. Bear in mind however, there is an element of "you get what you're given" with this deal. If you have any DO NOTs you will have to state them clearly at the start - for instance, I had a (good) day job in an office, so I had to bear that in mind and so did the stylist - nothing too avant garde :)

If you're up for it though, it's a great way to have some expensive stuff done to your hair for free. I had highlights, semi-permanent colours and a few different styles over time.
by UK Traveller (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asked to model on the street? 2014/8/18 12:36
Hi I too was asked in Harajuku to be a model.

They gave me a business card and I also went to their office.. Kinda legit..

But one thing that bothers me is they asked me for 40k Yen as a membership fee and after that everything is free..

Is this one of those scam agencies?
anyone with the same experience?
by ジョン (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asked to model on the street? 2014/8/18 13:08
Sounds like a scam. 40k yen and then everything else is free? Shouldn't you, the model, be the one getting paid? Definitely wouldn't trust them.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asked to model on the street? 2014/8/18 13:30
Do you live there or are you on a Temporary Visitor Status? If it's the latter, then you can't do it for money.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Asked to model on the street? 2014/8/18 16:42
Thanks for the fast reply..

I'm currently got a working visa..
by ジョン (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asked to model on the street? 2014/8/18 17:07
If it is for a hair salon, they must have asked you to be a "haircut model." (1) Sometimes they approach people with good-looking hair, or not-well-taken-care-of-hair, and let new hairdressers give you a haircut, of course with more experienced hairdressers as suprervisors, and give you a free haircut, for the newcomers' practice. (2) Or sometimes when they spot hair-style model material, they might approach people to be given a haircut and then be taken photos of to be used for their advertisement posters, for example.

In either case, UNLESS they ask you for any registration fee or something, it should be fine. And somehow (2) might be what it was, from the sound of it. Then it is no problem, I'd say. (Again if they are offering to pay, whether you are in Japan on a resident status that allows paid work would be a bit of an issue.)

It is rather cases like ジョン faced (the post at 2014/8/18 12:36) asking them to be a "model," meaning "fashion model," signing up with a modeling agency, that sometimes is a scam and leads to problems.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Asked to model on the street? 2014/8/18 22:05
It's typical aspect of as so called "Catch Sales". A catch sales is prohibited in Tokyo, not sure in other region. Girls are pleased with the approach and then go, the guy asks you to make a contract for modelling courses.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Asked to model on the street? 2014/8/19 22:35
I'm not sure if this is the case, but as far as I know, it's very common for hair salons to ask pedestrians to be "hair-cut models."

In fact, I've been asked many times, not at fancy places like Harajuku, but at my nearest express train station bus stop. I don't even think they're looking for pretty people. I even get the impression that I get asked when my hair hasn't been trimmed for a while.

It also makes perfect sense that they ask various types of people, because they need to become experienced with various types of hair of all races, quality and styles.

If you're interested, I'd say why not do it. Meanwhile, it might help to ask if you can bring a friend along just to take a look while you're having your hair cut or modeled or whatnot. You'd feel more secure with a "witness."

One of the downsides can be that you might get a sloppy haircut by a beginner. But you can always go elsewhere later to get it cut shorter and better. Hair will grow.

Anyway, what you need to ask them is what precisely you need to do for them and what your options are.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asked to model on the street? 2014/8/20 02:03
I say do it... its free right. you may get lucky and become a Japanese model super star.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread