Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Unattended luggage 2012/7/25 08:14
I have read in many (across Japan) cycling journals that it's quite the norm to leave one's luggage (in this case bicycle panniers) unattended for hours. Usually, cycling travelers will lock up their bikes and go by their business (be it sight-seeing, shopping etc) taking with them only their valuables and documents, and leaving all the rest (camping gear, clothes, etc) in the panniers on the bike. Apparently, nobody has stolen anything from them in their absence.

Would you feel comfortable doing the same?
by SEA monster  

Re: Unattended luggage 2012/7/25 10:43
No, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that without using some sort of locking system like a pacsafe. There are relatively few thefts in Japan, but things do get stolen from time to time and its better to be safe than sorry.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Unattended luggage 2012/7/25 10:47
Also consider that unattended luggage, especially around tourist areas, will be viewed more suspiciously these days. There is always the chance that your bike and luggage will be impounded (especially if you are parked illegally).

Re: Unattended luggage 2012/7/25 12:18
Yes, sure theft and other petty crimes occur at a much lower rate in Japan than other countries but in the end common sense prevails.

I personally leave clothing, shopping, etc. stuff in my bike all the time and have never had anything stolen. But I have had my bike vandalized (kicked over and detachable light stolen).

90% of the time everything will be fine but it sucks if you find yourself in the other 10%.
by ...CMK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unattended luggage 2012/7/27 00:45
No, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that without using some sort of locking system like a pacsafe.

I've considered the pacsafe netting fitted over some nylon rain cover, but this thing is fairly heavy (in the appropriate size). Already my Kryptonite lock & cable weight is giving me a headache. I wish I wouldn't have to take this route, but I understand my headache would get so much more severe, should somebody temper with my stuff.

But I have had my bike vandalized (kicked over and detachable light stolen).

You mean I'd better dress down all "detachables" every time I leave the bike?
by SEA monster rate this post as useful

Re: Unattended luggage 2012/7/27 09:08
You mean I'd better dress down all "detachables" every time I leave the bike?

Most people won't touch your unattended bike, but most is not all, so I would remove or lock down anything that you couldn't do without should it be stolen.

... 2012/7/27 09:23
Can you elaborate on your plan/schedule? Where are you cycling from and to? Where do you plan spending each night? Do you plan on camping each night in a different city?
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Unattended luggage 2012/7/27 11:33
Can you elaborate on your plan/schedule? Where are you cycling from and to? Where do you plan spending each night? Do you plan on camping each night in a different city?

I plan to cycle the length of Japan (on a self-supported solo tour) in 90 days. It was supposed to be an autumn affair (starting in Hokkaido and heading south), but that's now highly unlikely due to some private issues. Therefore, I had to reschedule the trip to spring 2013 and reverse the direction (starting in Kyushu and heading north).

I am still inventorying and evaluating the places/things I would like to visit/experience and the routes/schedule that would take me there. Actually, I took a few steps back in the process, as I had realized I didn't want to be making these decisions without understanding some of the (historical and societal) context. The 3000 something pages on the subject that now sit on my table should help me in this regard. When I am done with those, I will be arranging my schedule prefecture by prefecture and posting it for an opinion on the board.

Camping will be my primary accommodation (about 80% of the time) throughout the entire trip. I have identified a surprising number of free or very inexpensive campsites and rider houses across Japan. I will try to utilize them as much as possible. However, it's more than likely that I will often have to stealth-camp along the way. Since I am fairly unobtrusive and undemanding, I have no problem with it.

But l also would like to experience a genuine Japanese hospitality, staying in ryokan, minshuku, and shukubo establishments. One night in a capsule hotel would be enough to tell the tale, I think. I still have to figure out some budget hotel accommodation for Tokyo and Osaka. I will have to plan this very carefully and leave a sufficient time reserve between these bookings, in case something hampers my schedule. And on bike, it can be thousand of things.

So far, I have identified several places (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, a couple of places in Hokkaido and Shikoku) where I would like to stay for longer than one day (and explore the area without the luggage on my bike or on foot). I am sure I will decide on two or three more spots, before I am done planning. But for the majority of my stays, it will be one night accommodation.

:-)

... 2012/7/27 12:51
Sounds good!

I assume you know this website, but just posting it in case you don't.
http://www.japancycling.org/v2/

Maybe ask them what the best option is for your gear.

Enjoy your cycling!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Unattended luggage 2012/7/28 15:11
Not to be picky but your trip can't last 90 days, as the arrival day and the departure day need to be subtracted from that.
Also I am not sure it is a good idea to show-up at the airport on the very last day of the temporary visa..

As one that has been unable to fly on a scheduled day several times due to overbooking I wouldn't take a chance...
by Red rabitt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unattended luggage 2012/7/29 08:09
I assume you know this website, but just posting it in case you don't.

You assume correctly, but thank you anyway.

Not to be picky but your trip can't last 90 days, as the arrival day and the departure day need to be subtracted from that.

I agree. The stated 90 days duration was a figure of speech. The actual length of my trip will be determined by the availability and price consideration of the return flight. It won't make any difference, if the trip lasts 84 or 87 days. I think I will be exhausted and disoriented just the same.

But l also would like to experience a genuine Japanese hospitality, staying in ryokan, minshuku, and shukubo establishments.

Upon closer inspection, I think I will pass on the temple lodging experience. The rates per night are - ungodly!

reply to this thread