Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

restaurants - tip after gratuity 2012/8/8 17:44
ok, I know this question is going to sound stoopid...

A restaurant we're going to has a set menu and set price. The price includes tax and gratuity.

I expect this meal to be extraordinary/exceptional. The kind of meal that *deserves* a tip.

I have no idea how much gratuity is built into the price. Based on the price, I can't foresee myself giving an *additional* tip.

Would this be rude? Or would the majority of the restaurant's customers just pay the set fee?
by ausmomo  

Re: restaurants - tip after gratuity 2012/8/8 18:54
You don't leave tips in Japan. You should be fine just paying the bill.
by zmoviemaker (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: restaurants - tip after gratuity 2012/8/8 19:40
To gift direct cash is very rude in Japan.
So special envelope as tip bag called "pochi-bukuro" sold in any stationery store.
http://goo.gl/rz0gw
It often addressed "¡Žu(sunshi)" means "with compliments".
In Kyoto, such manner is highly-developed in the distant past.

Of course, Japanese don't give tip generally, except ultrahigh grade restaurants or traditional ryokans and so on.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: restaurants - tip after gratuity 2012/8/8 19:51
@Of course, Japanese don't give tip generally, except ultrahigh grade restaurants

Ah, this is my concern. The restaurant is ultra high grade.
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

Re: restaurants - tip after gratuity 2012/8/9 00:24
For me it would completely depend on what percentage gratuity is already included in the bill.

Do you know what the percentage is? Is it lower than you would normally tip? If so, I wouldn't leave any further tip. But it if it less than what you would normally tip and the food and service are excellent you can always leave a little extra.
by snooch (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: restaurants - tip after gratuity 2012/8/9 05:25
Don't be fixated on the idea of tipping.
There are occasions tipping is done customarily among Japanese. Unlike in western country, you don't show the money with the attitude that you are giving the tip. Very offensive gesture.
You are a foreigner & if you don't know how to do properly, you action will not be appreciated anyway so forget about it.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: restaurants - tip after gratuity 2012/8/9 07:17
Very high end restaurants include up to 20% service charge. There is absolutely no need to tip.

When you're in a top notch ryokan, you'll give ~5,000 yen to your personal server at the beginning of your stay. As someone said, put it in a small envelope or wrap it with tissue paper if you don't have one.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread