Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fireworks end march/ april 2012/9/18 03:28
Hi guys,

I've got plans to go back to Japan next spring. On my to-see list is also a Hanabi.

I know the fireworks are usually in the summer months, when I'm at home again. But perhaps you guys know of something I haven't found yet.

I'm at least visiting Kyoto/Tokyo/ Kanto around end of March - halfway april (hoping to find great hanami).
But the trip is not fully decided, so if there is hanabi in that time, somewhere, I might consider visiting that place / region.

Thanks in advance!
Rebecca
by flugelh0rn  

Re: Fireworks end march/april 2012/9/18 15:15
I'm unsure, but I heard there is great hanabi tournament at Huis Ten Bosch in Nagasaki.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_NYV7u1JA4
http://www.huistenbosch.co.jp/event/hanabi2012/index.html

In Japan, hanabi have relations with Buddhist memorial service,
and Japanese love the sense of the seasons,
so there are few big hanabi festivals during the season other than summer, I think...
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Fireworks end march/ april 2012/9/19 19:48
Hi Japaneseboy,

thanks for the info! We will see if we can fit this in our schedule.

I will also continue to look for other festivals, thanks for the tip about Buddhist memorial services.

With kind regards, Rebecca
by flugelh0rn rate this post as useful

Re: Fireworks end march/ april 2012/9/19 23:52
Not exactly fireworks as you might be thinking of them but there is an INCREDIBLE festival that takes place in early April in Gifu City (near Nagoya) called the Tejikara Hi Matsuri (Fire Festival). What sets the Tejikara Fire Festival apart and creates an amazing spectacle is that instead of shooting into the sky, fireworks are directed to rain down upon the half naked participants, showering them with red hot sparks as they whirl and dance around the shrine grounds. It's an amazing sight and since you're in the area and if the dates work for you (April 13th next year), I really recommend it!

http://nippon-kichi.jp/article_list.do;jsessionid=60428B57816D919AC45639D8CE1754AE?p=2495&ml_lang=en
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fireworks end march/ april 2012/9/19 23:53
You'll need to copy and paste that entire link above...

Re: Fireworks end march/ april 2012/9/23 23:20
Thanks Saru Bob,that festival looks like something special! I feel thats worth a trip to Gifu :)
Rebecca

Re: Fireworks end march/ april 2013/9/26 16:27
Hi all,
Thanks to the brilliant tip by Saru Bob, I visited the Tejikara Hi Matsuri, and it was INCREDIBLE indeed!
I planned my trip around to be in Gifu at that time (which was nice to visit as well) and absolutely enjoyed the festival.
I can recommend it!

Thanks Saru Bob!

Re: Fireworks end march/ april 2013/11/13 19:34
Hi Rebecca

I'm glad you got a chance to see it!

reply to this thread