Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/10/10 23:23
I was wondering what (non-Japanese) food Japanese people love. I hear all about large foreign restaurants but what kind of foreign food do Japanese people cook in everyday life?
by StarGirl96  

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/10/11 11:26
Generally, when they say foreign cuisine, in 85% it will mean Italian food. So I guess the answer is spaghetti.
by himcia rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/10/11 12:19
I see spaghetti a lot on hotel room service, I didnt know that they cooked it at home. The popular home western foods (which are actually japanese takes on western food) is hambagu (sp?) [which is really nice] and curry [also nicer than indian curry IMO]. The introduction of curry to Japan is really interesting, it was essentially fed to the sailors in their navy as a way to bulk them up because they werent keen on beef [this was the late 19th century] then spread to the port towns etc, now it is a very common home cooked meal. I'm not sure where the hamburger came from. For recipes, get on to youtube and watch "cooking with dog". Francis the poodle is quite talented, particularly give he doesnt have thumbs.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/10/11 17:40
Don't forget Chinese!
Cooking Chinese is too natural, so maybe we pass over that.
Now at last, Ramen and Yaki-Gyoza are quite Japanized.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL16DC1929F9C2D96C
(from "cooking with dog" Lazy Pious said.)

And the followings are some examples of many popular Japanese foreign foods like California Roll in U.S.

TenshinHan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSXoSa5H2to
Ome(lette)-rice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTf5EgVY5uU
Napolitan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ia2kEaq1d0
Hamburg Steak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gyjsgj_uok
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/10/12 02:15
Dont forget that most "foreign" food will have been adapted to Japanese tastes. So for instance Japanese curry may be less spicy than you are used to & Pizza may well have mayonnaise on it. As a response to Lazy Pious, I was always told that the strong spices of curry could disguise the taste of meat that was well past its best. Hence the use by the British Navy :)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/10/12 06:23
Gooday Stan. I watched a doco - Begin Japanology about Curry. The story was that the japanese sailors were too slight of build and they wanted to bulk them up. but at the time the Japanese diet had very little beef etc. They managed to introduce curry essentially as a way to get the sailors to eat beef which was foreign to them. Curry shops then started to appear around the ports in Tokyo, then a huge curry emporium was built in Osaka in I think the beginning of the last century - it spread from there. It was really interesting and you might be able to get it from d-addicts. I'm a great fan of japanese curry it is sweeter than indian curry, but I wont use the japanese curry roux blocks because they are full of things that you really dont want inside your body.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/11/2 12:26
I was talking more along the line of what type of 'western' food they like and is easy to buy in Japan. Curry comes from India.
by StarGirl96 rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/11/2 13:30
Curry comes from India.

Curry was initially considered a "western food" in Japan as it was popularized here by the British.

Check out this page for a list of foreign restaurants popular in Japan:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2036.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/11/3 00:54
Everyday foreign food cooking home is pasta. No doubt about it. You will find many Italian restaurants on the streets here. But if you take Italian to such restaurants, they will shout 'hey, this is not Italian!' just like I would shout 'hey, this is not sushi!' at a French sushi bar in Paris.

Curry and Chinese are the same things.

We don't cook hunburgers home, but Mac and KFC may be another call. They are pretty much like the origin as many say they are better than those in US.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/11/3 01:42
We don't cook hunburgers home, but Mac and KFC may be another call.
They are pretty much like the origin as many say they are better than those in US.

Umm...?
Surely I have heard someone said so.
http://youtu.be/pRAXEZMCMtg?hd=1&t=23s
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/11/3 04:01
I'd say curry as well. It's not western but that's not what you originally asked as in the title of this thread.
by Justin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/11/3 21:30
I don't cook. I'm an average Japanese guy. This is the list of things I've been eating out for dinner this week.

Tonkatsu set (*Japanese) (Sun). Turkish doner kebab and Corn-Mayo Pizza etc at Gusto family restaurant (Mon). Thai yellow curry and Vietnamese Nem (Tue). Chinese-Japanese Ramen, Gyoza, and fried rice set (Gyoza no Osho) (Wed). Indian vegetable Thali set (Thu). A quick hot soba at the station then fried yysters (Kaki-fry) set (*Japanese) (Fri). A quick Sushi-go-round (*Japanese) (Sat). I intend to go to a Yakitori place tomorrow (or perhaps even after I finish posting this...)

For lunch, I've been eating sandwiches at Doutor Coffee or at the office canteen (soba, udon, and Hamburg steak set, etc). I've also eaten katsu-curry for lunch today. Tomato cream spaghetti with shrimps at Pronto I think on Tuesday or Monday for lunch.

Not a healthy diet, I know.

by Average Japanese lone guy's diet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/11/3 23:51
Wow... you eat out a lot...
by StarGirl96 rate this post as useful

Re: Popular foreign food in Japan 2012/11/4 12:20
Hi,

I will add something which are not mentioned here.

Egg: Fried egg (目玉焼き), scrambled egg(スクランブルエッグ), and omelette(オムレツ). They are popular in Japan at breakfast.

Bread: Bread is called as パン which comes from Portuguese word pão. Most Japanese people do not bake bread at home, they buy it from supermarket or a bakery. As you may know Japanese eat many rice, but now we also eat many breads.

Macaroni: Of course, macaroni is a kind of a pasta, but in a sense it is accepted more deeply in Japanese food culture than spaghetti. It is used as a part of salad, soup and macaroni gratin (somewhat resembles macaroni and cheese maybe).

Salad: I think Japanese cuisine have little tradition of eating raw vegetables. But today we eat many raw vegetables as salad. If you stay at a upper-middle class hotels in Japan, they will serve vegetable salad in the breakfast buffet.

Meat: Beef, pork and chicken are new to Japanese cuisine. Even though Japanese food using these are not familiar to western people, they are made with the influence of the western culture. Hamberg steak is one of them, and I would like to add stews using beef, pork or chicken. Of course, yakitori is also under the influence of the western culture.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread