Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drinking Sake in an Onsen 2012/11/24 11:31
Hi,

I've been to various onsen in Japan. But I've not experienced drinking sake in one, as drinking in an onsen is not allowed. I've seen shows where people drink sake in a onsen while looking at beautiful scenery.

Is this really possible? If so please inform. Thank you.

Regards,
Joshua
by Joshua Hugh  

Re: Drinking Sake in an Onsen 2012/11/24 13:00
Because so many people these days don't take responsibility for their actions and always blame or even sue others when something bad happens to them, many onsen forbid drinking while bathing or at least advise not to drink and bathe.

I can think of two baths that do not only allow drinking, but even sell or provide it right next to the pool:
- Takimotokan in Noboribetsu
- Yatsusankan in Hida-Furukawa (this does not seem a 100% natural onsen, though)

I have encountered people bringing their own drinks to some other baths, but I am sure that this is against the regulation of many baths.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Drinking Sake in an Onsen 2012/11/24 23:38
Thank you for the information. I plan to bring a friend to Hokkaido in July so this really helps.

Could you please clarify what "not 100% natural onsen" means?

Thank you,
Joshua
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Drinking Sake in an Onsen 2012/11/25 10:23
I made a mistake. The Yatsusankan's water seems to have natural onsen water, as well.

Only their private baths do not seem to be onsen, but just regular water. But the public pools are fed by a natural onsen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Drinking Sake in an Onsen 2012/11/25 10:50
Be warned alcohol goes around your body quickly soaking in warm onsen water. You may faint from heat stroke(I've seen it), stagger, slip, etc.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Drinking Sake in an Onsen 2012/12/7 01:35
It's fine to drink in open onsen, ie, ones not owned by a hotel. For example, the river onsen at Yubaraonsen.
by Cheese (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Drinking Sake in an Onsen 2012/12/10 16:57
Get a room with a private onsen in the room. Here is a ryokan in Noboribetsu (one of themost famous onsen in Hokkaido) . After the movie is done click on the room type DW and click on the rightmost thumbnail. I would think something like this will suffice. Of course, you can use the large public bath in addition to this private onsen.

http://www.takinoya.co.jp/roomtype/
by Harry Takeuchi rate this post as useful

Re: Drinking Sake in an Onsen 2012/12/10 20:58
My friend... that private bath looks above my budget...
Does the public bath allow drinking?
by Joshua Hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread