Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to talk to Japanese shop people? 2013/1/6 05:13
Hi all! The last time I was on this forum, I was about to depart to Japan in high school for a month. Well, now I am returning to Japan for a full semester, 5 years later! I've forgotten a few things, so I hope someone here can help me out. :)

When you go into a Japanese shop, the store people will often bow and say ''Irasshaimase'' when you enter and ''Arigatou Gozaimasu'' when you leave - if I remember correctly. When I last went to Japan (5 years ago), I always responded to the store people, spoke in keigo - as best as I could - and when I left, I bowed and said ''Arigatou Gozaimasu''. I had gone shopping with my host sister and her friend - and again it was 5 years ago, so I may have remembered incorrectly, but they were definitely not as polite or engaging to the store people as I was: for example they didn't respond to ''Irasshaimase'' or ''Arigatou Gozaimasu''.

So here's the thing, I realise I am kind of like this in the States as well. I always say ''Thank you'' a lot to the store people and always respond to them when they welcome you - if they do welcome you, such as in stores like Hollister or Abercrombie, but when I go shopping with my American friends, they don't bother with all that.

So my question is, how exactly do I speak to shop people? (This may be more of a personal quirk sort of thing as well, so please keep this in mind.) Should I speak in keigo (formal conjugation)? I don't remember if my host sister strictly stuck to keigo.... Also, do I need to constantly bow and respond to their Welcomes and Thank you's?

Thanks!
by Ranguvar (guest)  

Re: How to talk to Japanese shop people? 2013/1/6 11:00
No need to respond each time you go in or leave. It is just the mandatory courtesy for welcoming shoppers. You can ask where/what item you are looking for when welcomed.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to talk to Japanese shop people? 2013/1/6 11:29
It's mandatory for the shop people to great you in the manner they do and it's ok to just ignore them when they do it.

I'm from the states too and I'm just like you when it comes to store workers. I always respond and say thank you over here and when I first arrived in Japan during my trip I would give a smile to the store workers who would welcome me and say thank you when leaving, but then I soon realized that it really doesn't matter.

I went shopping with my host-mother frequently and quickly found out that a store worker will welcome you multiple times (most times for me was about 12) and it's ok to just keep on walking.

If you want to respond and say thank you when your all done shopping that's fine too of course, but you don't need to feel obligated to do it =]
by xbutterxcupx rate this post as useful

Re: How to talk to Japanese shop people? 2013/1/6 15:14
I often make a bow slightly like nod only,
or with saying "doumo" lightly.

Of course, I ignore them when I walk through in the department store or streets that have shops standing close together. It's just touting.

About Keigo, when I want to speak store people, I use polite Japanese but not strictly. It's Teineigo.
"sumimasen", "onegaishimasu", "-shite moraemasuka?", "arigatou gozaimashita", "gochisousama deshita" and so on.
But never bow deeply, just bow slightly like nod with smile.

BTW, I heard they speak very friendly each other in many girl's shops.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: How to talk to Japanese shop people? 2013/1/7 16:59
I have this issue as well: and I am definitely not the person to answer this question at all, but I just can't walk past people welcoming me, company orders or not, or fail to respond to the welcome in restaurants, so I always just smile and say "duomo".
I was counselled by Australian family living in Osaka to NOT say "arigatou gozaimasu" ever in stores or restaurants as it was too much for the social level...I don't cope with that advice very well, but have persisted at east with "duomo" at every opportunity...maybe I am incorrect, but at least I feel more polite, and have not insulted anyone. I hope.
When not with said family I do revert to the "arigatou gozaimasu"...hope I'm not causing offence.....
Also, I have learned the Osaka dialect "ookini" for thank you...always gets a smile!!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: How to talk to Japanese shop people? 2013/1/7 17:11
The following is my personal habit, at a shop where I am walking in for the first time (meaning, I am not an acquaitance yet with any of the store staff). Things would be different of course if I am a regular customer.

- I nod in the general direction of the welcoming staff and make eye contact ("I heard/see you, will ask if I need help") if I hear "irasshaimase."

- Upon leaving a shop, if I just browsed and not talked with anyone/not bought anything, I might nod toward the staff or at most say "doumo." I've talked with/asked question of the store staff, I might say a light "arigatou" or "doumo." If I bought something and the store staff has been very helpful, I might say "arigatou gozaimashita" in an upbeat tone as they hand me the merchandise (which they often do in boutiques in department stores) at the entrance/exit of the store.

I don't think I've ever really "bowed" to a store staff, only nodded :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to talk to Japanese shop people? 2013/1/7 17:19
AK : you make me feel SO much better: I really could not cope with not acknowledging good service with "arigatou gozaimasu".....now I am confused between gozaimasu and gozaimashita...understand past tense...just confused re application: age-challenged Aussie...... :-(
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: How to talk to Japanese shop people? 2013/1/7 18:35
fmj,

Well when I think about it, if I want to put in the meaning of "Thank you for having done this for me," thanking them for something specific they DID for me on that visit to the store, the past form, "-ta" kicks in in my mind, I guess :)

BTW, I was checking myself to see what I say at the supermarket today - where I'm not acquainted with any of the staff - I asked a lady at the fresh produce counter to weigh something for me, and as she handed me the merchandise (to be paid later at the cashier) she said "Arigatou gozaimashita ("for making that purchase," thus -ta form on her part as well), and I automatically said "Arigatou."

I kinda see what your acquaintance family wanted to say to you - but it's not really a "social level" thing, it's more of store staff vs. customer/guest, that a guest going polite all the way might sound too humble or modest, it gives the store staff feeling of "oh please you don't have to be this polite to us this much otherwise we have to bow even lower!" kind of impression :)

When I leave a restaurant happily, either with good food or with good service or with both, I do say "Gochisou sama deshita!" :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread