Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will an EU Samsung Galaxy S3 work in Japan? 2013/1/31 01:05
Hello,

I am just wondering if somebody is able to assist me in this here.

I plan to visit Japan for 2 weeks in April and I wondering if will I be able to use my phone in some form.

I have read that SoftBank has a 3G operated at on 2.1 GHz while I see in my phone specs my phone is capable on 2Ghz. Reading on some random sites I got the hint that it will work... but I would not mind to be clear on this before I get a surprise...

Also if it works.. could anyone tell me what would be the best option for me? I think I am thinking to buy a prepaid card with internet mainly only for google maps, and translate, so not for large amount of data and almost no talk.

Thank you for your kind help.
by szilasz (guest)  

Re: Will an EU Samsung Galaxy S3 work in Japan? 2013/1/31 10:28
I plan to visit Japan for 2 weeks in April and I wondering if will I be able to use my phone in some form.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is capable of operating on both 3G and 4G networks in Japan. Which you use depends on the carrier agreements with your phone company, but virtually all carriers support overseas voice and data roaming (usually at considerable cost to you). The other option would be to rent a data only internet connection like a personal hotspot (cheaper but still expensive), use public wifi (cheapest but not ubiquitous coverage), or get a prepaid sim for your phone (cheap, but no voice and requires an unlocked phone).

Also if it works.. could anyone tell me what would be the best option for me? I think I am thinking to buy a prepaid card with internet mainly only for google maps, and translate, so not for large amount of data and almost no talk.

One of the b-mobile visitors card sounds ideal for your usage. Note that calling would have to be done through a voip app like skype.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Will an EU Samsung Galaxy S3 work in Japan? 2013/1/31 22:33
Thank you very much for the answer!

It was more than helpfull. I also have to say that this is indeed sounds perfect fo my needs.

At least now I can rest relaxd about this item as well.

Thank you again!
by Laszlo Szilagyi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread