Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What not to do in Japan 2013/2/4 06:01
um, hello. Next year, i'm going on a trip to japan, so i wonder what i shouldn't do there. because i know that japanese people are really polite ect.

by skottis  

Re: What not to do in Japan 2013/2/4 11:04
There is a good starting point here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e622.html
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What not to do in Japan 2013/2/4 19:28
Have fun and don't worry too much, foreigners (especially tourists) get endless leeway.

I can only think of two things you should remember:
1. No tipping.
2. Try not to be loud.
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: What not to do in Japan 2013/2/4 20:42
Also don't eat food on urban public transport (long distance is usually fine, but make an effort for it not to be smelly food even then).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What not to do in Japan 2013/2/5 17:13
thank you so much! now i know a little more about it.
by skottis rate this post as useful

Re: What not to do in Japan 2013/2/5 18:43
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: What not to do in Japan 2013/2/6 07:02
being loud and obnoxious is the #1 complaint i have against foreigners visiting japan

#2 take off your shoes if you go into a changing room in a department store or clothing shop - same goes for certain izakaya, if they have a wall of small lockers by the entrance then you have to take off your shoes before entering the place

#3 bring cash and don't expect to be able to pay by card - some places accept cards but it's still relatively rare especially in restaurants / drinking establishments or older/small shops

#4 try not to get in the way during rush hour at stations, if you're searching for your train at the ticket computer don't hog the computer while people behind you are waiting etc..

by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread