Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Knives as gift 2013/2/6 20:11
Hello,

I was looking for some small thank you gifts to bring to Japan. Foodstuffs (especially chocolate) are out due to temperature changes and size and having them in my backpack for weeks.

So I decided on some Swiss Army Knives. Are those ok? In some cultures it is considered bad luck and I couldn't really find anything about Japan (only for marriages)

I am aware of the law that limits the blades to 5,5 cm. They are just below that.

Thanks for any answers.
by fatgermanbloke  

Re: Knives as gift 2013/2/7 09:24
unless the person has a definite probable need / use for those knives i would get something else.

knives are really pretty uncommon in japan for most people, and as you mentioned there are many times where a knife gift means bad luck (cutting the ties)

i'd suggest something else if you're from switzerland, perhaps a reasonbly priced watch or something along those lines. or a fondue making set.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

"cut anything except friendship" 2013/2/7 17:04
As suggested, army knives just aren't practical here in Japana and can even lack responsibility if there is no one who can teach the receiver to handle the knife properly.

That said, I've been given a pair of scissors from China with the phrase, "These scissors can cut anything except friendship." There are many ways to send cutting tools.

But do avoid cutting tools if this is for something like weddings or contracts.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Knives as gift 2013/2/7 19:19
So I decided on some Swiss Army Knives. Are those ok? In some cultures it is considered bad luck and I couldn't really find anything about Japan (only for marriages)

I often give knives as gifts in Japan, and I think they have been well received. In fact the last was a small aluminum classic swiss army knife which I gave my brother in law for his birthday. Of course just make sure its person and age appropriate, but other than that I usually tape a few 1 yen coins to the package and explain how in the US it is folklore to exchange money when giving knifes to counter the "cutting ties" superstition

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sectionfront/life/food-feedback-pe...

I am aware of the law that limits the blades to 5,5 cm. They are just below that.

Sounds good. Small penknives really are nice to have around and I like having several around in convenient places around the house. They really do make nice gifts.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Knives as gift 2013/2/7 19:27
As suggested, army knives just aren't practical here in Japana and can even lack responsibility if there is no one who can teach the receiver to handle the knife properly.

I think you're getting swiss army knives and army knives mixed up. Swiss army knives are the small red plastic handled penknives that are more toys than weapons. Definitely a godsend with some of the impossible plastic packaging that you are sure to encounter.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_10?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83...

by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Knives as gift 2013/2/7 19:41
...and explain how in the US it is folklore to exchange money when giving knifes to counter the "cutting ties" superstition...

This what many European have long been doing..they likely brought the tradition to the USA.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Knives as gift 2013/2/7 20:05
Yes, those are the small multifunctional swiss army knives. A small blade, scissors, nail file, pen , toothpick and USB stick.

Nothing compared to army knives of other countries with a 16cm blade or anything.

And no, it doesn't have to be from Switzerland. Those just came to mind. I live near Solingen in Germany and that is also known worldwide for the knives. But those are always longer and just giving a single knife seems unpractical.

by fatgermanbloke rate this post as useful

Re: Knives as gift 2013/2/7 21:58
yllwsmrf,

Thanks for the clarification. Then I suppose they're quite commonly used in Japan as well.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread