Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

iPhone contract? 2013/2/13 06:48
I know, another dreaded iPhone post!

I will be working in Japan for 1+ year and would like to rent or get a contract for an iPhone. Many of my current connections in Japan gave up smartphones for cheaper options, but I do not want to do that. I enjoy my internet, apps, and texting.

Most posts I have found are for short-term rentals of iPhones or for SIM cards for iPhones people already own. I do not own an iPhone that will work in Japan and will need this iPhone for over a year so a short-term rental would not work.

Are there long-term rentals or prepaid iPhones and if so how expensive is it?

Would getting a contract iPhone be more cost effective?
by maryJANE (guest)  

Re: iPhone contract? 2013/2/13 12:57
Are there long-term rentals or prepaid iPhones and if so how expensive is it?

No prepaid iphones, and rentals are very expensive.

Would getting a contract iPhone be more cost effective?

Only if you'll be here the full 26 month period. Otherwise they won't even sell you the phone.

I would instead consider purchasing an unlocked iphone and use it with prepaid service such as b-mobile:

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/lineup.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone contract? 2013/2/13 23:34
Thank you yllwsmrf! I viewed the English website and it said that you will not be able to send or receive texts. Texting is one of my main concerns. :/ Maybe other information is listed on the Japanese website?
by maryJANE (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone contract? 2013/2/14 10:52
SMS will not work (and no one really uses sms anyway) but you should be able to use email and imessages just fine with a data only plan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread