Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

iPhone 5s shutter sound 2013/12/10 12:19
Hello!

I recently got the iPhone 5s and have been trying to get the "shutter sound" that sounds when you take a picture to silence itself since. On my 4s, if you muted the phone, it muted the noise, but I've been hearing that in Japan, the shutter sound cannot be disabled no matter what you do (aside from jailbreaking the phone).

Does anyone know why this is? The shutter sound interferes with any music I'm listening to whenever I want to take a picture, has gotten me in trouble when taking pictures of notes that I can't keep up with in class, and draws strange looks when I screenshot accidentally, etc.

Also, when I return to the US and switch to an American wireless company (aka change the SIM card), will I be able to silence the sound like I could before?

Thanks in advance guys!
by NipponGurlie (guest)  

Re: iPhone 5s 2013/12/10 14:47

The shutter sound is mandatory in phones sold in Japan, because SOME Japanese men have a fetish of taking secret pictures of women, especially their underpants. This has led to a booming app industry to silence the sound. Those apps are a little dodgy in legal sense though.

The shutter silencing may not be available even if you take the phone to another country and change the carrier, because it is hard coded into the phone firmware. Maybe the technicians can load a new non-Japanese firmware to the phone??
by K0DAMA rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone 5s 2013/12/11 13:01
Grr, how annoying. I guess there's nothing to do but to get used to it.

Thanks for answering! =)
by NipponGurlie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone 5s 2013/12/11 17:27
Not need jailbreaking
just download camera apps(free/iOS6 works).

Find yourself from this list.
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/genre/ios-xie-zhen-bideo/id6008?mt=8

No hints but iPhone can find ez :D
by Ninjaaa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone 5s 2013/12/12 06:07
You could just take video and make a screen shot from that.

Just play the video back and hold down the button at the top and the home button...although to be fair...I've never done this with my iPhone 5...only the 4S...
by SSJ Jup81 rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone 5s 2013/12/12 12:01
Also, when I return to the US and switch to an American wireless company (aka change the SIM card), will I be able to silence the sound like I could before?

No, its in the phone's firmware, and not related to the sim card. FYI, unless you are using a docomo iphone you might find it difficult to unlock your phone for use in the US.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone 5s 2013/12/13 12:27
Activate the RInger/Silence switch on the upper left side of the phone. Make sure to turn it back on when you're done.
by atifn79 rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone 5s 2013/12/13 15:56
No, that will have no effect on a Japanese iphone, hence the question.

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2013/12/14 19:05
@SSJ Jup81

Taking video also makes a noise when it starts. It's just a different one. And if I'm listening to music, then it'll still cut out on the song until I'm done taking video. Also, taking screenshots sets off the shutter noise as well (and cuts out on music). Thanks for the suggestion, but it's basically the same as taking a noisy picture, just with one extra step that's also noisy. :)

@yllwsmrf

The phone is from Softbank. =/ Do you know why they're hard to unlock?

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2013/12/15 03:36
I thought that the sound would play through the earphones so no one but you would hear it,

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2013/12/15 22:14
Activate the ringer/silence switch does work

By atifn79
by chweehar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2013/12/16 20:33
@SSJ Jup81

I just tried taking a picture with my headphones plugged in, and you can still hear the noise outside of them.

@chweehar

Silencing the phone does not work to silence the noises made by taking pictures or videos. Not sure about previous versions of the iPhone released in the Japan, but this is the case for the iPhone 5s. I keep the switch tuned to "silence" all the time, and the shutter sound and any alarm ringtones are the only noises which make it through (and only the shutter sound is annoying lol).

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2013/12/17 10:49
Cover the speaker with tape?
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2013/12/17 17:46
I meant when doing video.

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2013/12/18 11:04
The phone is from Softbank. =/ Do you know why they're hard to unlock?

Softbank doesn't sanction carrier unlocks for the iphone. Other than that you can unlock via other means, with the usual headaches that they involve (especially regarding ios upgrades)

Activate the ringer/silence switch does work

@atfn79
I wish someone would tell my Japanese iphones that... none of them seemed to have gotten the message.

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2013/12/22 21:49
i gave my phone another try again, it does work by turning on the silence switch, and mine is a i5.
by chweehar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2013/12/28 16:04
@SSJ Jup81

Just checked, and it looks like video acts the same way. You can hear the start and stop "dings" outside of the headphones.

@chweehar

That might work for your iPhone 5, but it doesn't work for my 5s or any of the other 5s's, 5's, or 4s's I've seen my Japanese friends using since I got here. Maybe you got lucky and purchased a phone that was accidentally shipped with settings for a different country or something.

-----

Thanks for your help everybody, but it looks like there's no simple fix for this other than those dodgy apps. The interruption to music still bugs me (they could at least pause it for a second instead of letting it run silently in the background), but I'm slowly getting used to it, so I think I'll give up lol.

Thank you for all your input!

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2013/12/31 03:19
i gave my phone another try again, it does work by turning on the silence switch, and mine is a i5.

Iphones are different depending on what country they are bought in. That your silence switch turns off the shutter sound only means that you do not have a Japanese iphone. What country did you purchase your phone in?

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2014/1/2 17:06
I bought my from Australia, may be you are right it depend where one bought it.
by chweehar rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone 5s shutter sound 2014/1/2 21:09
third party camera apps get rid of it. I have one called camera pro fx
by takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread