Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 32

1 2
next

Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/7 21:54
I am planning another Japan trip the end of next month and the first 2 weeks of September. I will be driving from Sapporo to Cape Kamui, and then following the coastline to Matsumae , Hakkodate and keep following the coastline to Tomakkomai as far as Erimo before returning to Sapporo via routes 336, 236 and 274. I have 15 to 20 days for this trip. Would really appreciate any advice regarding places to stay, to visit and anything not to miss a long these routes.
by shinji (guest)  

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/8 09:00
I have 15 to 20 days for this trip.

With these days you can be more ambitious to go north to Wakkanai (and Rishiri and Rebun) and Shiretoko. Have you already done these places? Even if yes, you can go there again, since they are the most beautiful places in Hokkaido. Or do you have specific interest in the southern area in Hokkaido?
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/8 09:06
by Acia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/8 12:37
@frog1954
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, we spent 20 days last year and did center and north as well as the two islands. I completely agree that those places are beautiful, I would not hesitate to revisit.
We have not been to the southern areas, hence the plan. Looks like those areas are not that popular; very limited info found so far, especially accommodations.
We do not have a specific interest in mind; merely try to relax, enjoy the visit and absorb what possible along the way, hence the allocation of those days.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/8 12:48
@ Acia
Thank you for the link. Lots of information and really useful.
Checking distances and times needed for those places we are visiting, possibly we have allocated a wee bit more days than necessary.

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/8 16:05
I see. I like Kamui misaki, but honestly if you did Rebun before, you might skip it because it resembles Rebun, but without floating Rishiri. How about drive south to visit lake Shikotu, lake Toya, Niseko and then Onuma? Then visit Hakodate and even Esan. These are volcanic area which is somewhat different from northern Hokkaido.

If you still have time, you can drop car at Hakodate and then take flight to Sapporo and then to northern or eastern Hokkaido.

Did you have good view from Rebun? If the weather was not good for you last visit, could you give it a try once more?

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/8 21:39

@frog1954

Again, thank you for the information.
Kamui Misaki does remind me of Rebunto. However, as I have ample time, I will add this to my itinerary.
I have visited both lake Shikotsu as well as Toyako. Stayed one night each several years ago in lovely onsen hotels. Would plan to do the same this time. Could you recommend nice onsen hotels in both places and any other nice onsens in southern Hokkaido? We love onsens.
We are travelling south to Matsumae before Hakodate, so we will visit Esan and Onuma park.
As for Rebunto, we visited twice, once in late June 2016 the second was late July last year. Interestingly, the June's weather was sunny and clear; we probably got lucky. However, the July visit was virtually a disappointment. The whole three days was foggy. Visibility was poor, but we managed to hike to the Rebun falls. It was rather challenging hike due to the soggy ground and having to walk across a few streams (with no bridges). We got wet and arrived at the falls almost high tides with high waves pounding toward us. There was no one else but two of us. A very scary moment.

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/10 17:41
Could you recommend nice onsen hotels in both places and any other nice onsens in southern Hokkaido? We love onsens.

Though I am a Japanese I think you might have more experience in Hokkaido than me :). I have stayed at Marukoma Onsen Ryokan which has a nice Roten Buro.

http://www.marukoma.co.jp/onsen.html

If you go to Kamui Misaki (which would be nicer if the weather is fine than foggy Rebun-to, of course), there should be some nice Ryokan along the road. As for onsen, most of them have no, but there are some public onsen places. I once stayed at Nagomi no Yado Iida, but Unjoya seems to have more favorable reviews.

http://www.yado-iida.com
http://primenet2010.biz/unjyoya/

Though I have not stayed, but Ginkon-yu seems to be very nice.

http://www.rvch.net/ginkonyu-yakumo-hokkaido/

Goshiki onsen in Niseko looks great.

http://goshiki-onsen.com

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/12 00:57

@frog1954,

Again, thank you for those onsens recommendation. They all have very positive reviews.
I read one review about one of the guesthouses, it said only received Japanese, no foreigners. Unfortunately, I forgot which one, and could not locate that review anymore.
I will try to visit at least two if not three of them, Ginkonyu looks very interesting!

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/12 10:43

@frog1954,

Found the review:
“ú–{l‚¾‚¯‘ØÝ‚·‚邱‚Æ‚ª‚Å‚«‚é“XŽå‚ÌŒ¾—t‚É“–˜f‚µ‚Ü‚µ‚½B
ŠCŠÝ‰ˆ‚¢‚Ì“¹˜HŠÕÂÈꊂɗˆŒŽ‰Æ‘°—·s‚ÅÏ’O‚ÌŽv‚¢o‚ðì‚肽‚¢’¼Ú–K–₵‚Ä—\–ñ‚ð—v¿‚µ‚½‚ªAŠO‘l‚Í‘ØÝ‚·‚邱‚Æ‚ª‚Å‚«‚È‚¢‚Æ‚µ‚Ü‚·B‚ª‚Á‚©‚肵‚Ü‚µ‚½Bƒz[ƒ€ƒy[ƒW‚ÉŠO‘l‚Í‘ØÝ‚·‚邱‚Æ‚ª‚Å‚«‚È‚¢‚Æ‚¢‚¤’Ê’m‚ð•K‚¸‚µ‚ĉº‚³‚¢

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/12 10:54
If you go Kamui-misaki area, stop-by around Niseko.
The area is original for Japan. More mixed culture since it's developed as ski resort in winter.
Many migrants. So there are more activities you are familiar with and nice restaurants around such as Milk Kobo.
https://goo.gl/maps/gTqBMENzLdK2

Lake Toya has great Onsens.
My favourite is Kohantei.
Single pot on top of the building has the marvellous view.
https://goo.gl/maps/Yo7YaWedTUP2

If you have a chance to go Furano.
There are many nice Onsens on mountains.
https://goo.gl/maps/CofFiVoxidB2

Siretoko is far, but worth going there.
There are Onsen rivers running.
And the falls and cascades are all Hot spring at Kamui Wakka.
https://goo.gl/maps/jeApMUCbeN12

I used campervan on the whole trip,
So I could sleep anywhere. So we stayed at hotels when we find good ones.
And otherwise, we stayed at tourism site or Michi-no-Eki near there.
We really like the way we travelled.
https://www.arigatocampervan.com/

The hotel we really like was at Nukabira area.
It was very cozy traditional Japanese Onsen Ryokan.
https://goo.gl/maps/vVhpeCpwzr12

Enjoy your trip!!
by Ergo5 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/12 11:46
Found the review:
“ú–{l‚¾‚¯‘ØÝ‚·‚邱‚Æ‚ª‚Å‚«‚é“XŽå‚ÌŒ¾—t‚É“–˜f‚µ‚Ü‚µ‚½B
ŠCŠÝ‰ˆ‚¢‚Ì“¹˜HŠÕÂÈꊂɗˆŒŽ‰Æ‘°—·s‚ÅÏ’O‚ÌŽv‚¢o‚ðì‚肽‚¢’¼Ú–K–₵‚Ä—\–ñ‚ð—v¿‚µ‚½‚ªAŠO‘l‚Í‘ØÝ‚·‚邱‚Æ‚ª‚Å‚«‚È‚¢‚Æ‚µ‚Ü‚·B‚ª‚Á‚©‚肵‚Ü‚µ‚½Bƒz[ƒ€ƒy[ƒW‚ÉŠO‘l‚Í‘ØÝ‚·‚邱‚Æ‚ª‚Å‚«‚È‚¢‚Æ‚¢‚¤’Ê’m‚ð•K‚¸‚µ‚ĉº‚³‚¢

I also saw this review but can't find it at present. But I remember other foreigner (perhaps, as judged by the name) posted a favorable review. So this might be some misunderstanding due to language barrier. Their website seems to tell that you need reservation only by telephone, and this Ryokan seems to be very popular so the stuff might think that this person requested to stay on the day and the stuff just said no and he/she can't understand foreign language. This ryokan's website have English, Chinese and Korean translation (just by using google translate) so I don't believe they just refuse foreign tourists. But of course they are not able to communicate in foreign language, so there should be difficulties. Further this Ryokan is very popular so there might be no vacancy on your day of travel. Other ryokans such as Ginkonyu seems to have no English booking connection, so if you are interested, please contact me via JapanGuide's "contact this user" option.

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/14 00:29

So this might be some misunderstanding due to language barrier.

I was assuming so, but still feeling odd, as the person who wrote the review seems to have a good "grasp" of Japanese language, and in the review, it was mentioned that the "notice" was in the guesthouse's website. Putting this aside, we might base ourselves in Niseko a few days, and do a day trip to Kamui Misaki , Shakotan areas.
Thank you for your kind offer, our itinerary is currently still incomplete, once finalised, I will try to contact you for a reservation. Again, many thanks.

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/14 01:07
@ Ergo5,

Thank you for all the recommendations. We will stay a few days in Niseko, and possibly doing day trips to the neighbouring areas.
We might revisit Toyako, and will check Kohantei for more details.
I have visited the Shiretoko as well as the famous Kamuiwakkayu Falls. I can not disagree with you if those places are beautiful. This coming trip we mainly try to concentrate on the southern part of Hokkaido.
A campervan is fun, unfortunately, with a language barrier and old age, we do not have the courage to try.
I have never visited Nukabira, the closet we have been to is Lake Shikaribetsu. I will surely like to visit the area, maybe not this time. Again, many thanks.

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/14 19:51

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/15 18:34

@frog1954
Bikuni-kanko looks a very nice ryokan, however, we are now not likely to stay overnight in that area. We have decided to stay in Niseko and make a day trip to the areas.
By the way, I have contacted the Ginkoyu, and currently arranging a reservation for September.
Their email address is: ginkonyu@ginkonyu.com
Thank you again for your willingness to assist, much appreciated.

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/15 18:36
Dear shinji, that's nice to hear. Enjoy your drive trip!

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/17 11:33
Share Hotel Hakoba in Hakodate is fantastic. We visited in June and had 2 twin rooms for a very reasonable price. They have both private rooms and hostel facilities. Very nice rooms and great location a block from the bay!
by Vaneso (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/18 13:26

@ Vaneso

Thank you for the recommendation. Will check it out later.

Re: Hokkaido road trip activity and stay ideas 2018/7/25 15:37
As you know, cars run left lanes in Japan. I believe going clockwise is better to see the sea. There are at least Apoi GeoPark, Cape Chikkyu and Swan bridge, Esan at the east of Hakodate, and Blue Cave near Kikonai. Blue Caves are also in Shakotan Peninsula. Matsumae Castle is unique in Hokkaido. Yonokawa Onsen would be a must in Hakodate.
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 32

1 2
next

reply to this thread