Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

US passport for Child 2021/5/21 16:50
Hi,
So I (US citizen) have been divorced for over one year. My child's (half-jpn)birth was not registered at the us embassy. My situation is complicated as is, but short answer, NO i do not see them anymore.

If my kid needs a US passport at some point in the far future:
What would I need to prepare for them?
I checked the embassy website and because of dual-nationality they would need some forms to prove relation to me.
If my kid doesnt get a passport would they still be able to enter Japan like a regular Japanese national or is this not allowed?

it sounds like if he doesnt get one he can never come to the states... I hope thats not the case.
by asker (guest)  

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/22 04:35
I'm a bit confused and maybe I'm misreading something but, are you asking if it's possible for your child to enter the US without a US passport? Enter Japan "like a regular Japanese national" without a US passport? Could you clarify please? Where is your child now? As a Japanese national why do you think they would have trouble entering Japan? Also you do not need a US passport to enter the US.

Basically if you want to get a US passport for your child but your situation is that complicated that it cannot be done via the usual channels then you need to speak to either the Department of State (they deal with passports) and/or the US embassy in Japan and do exactly what they tell you you need to do. 100% they will have all the information you need.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/22 07:35
In the far future, your child will have to choose one nationality or the other. Japan does not allow dual nationals. But currently, they seem to be Japanese and do not hold US citizenship (not registered), although they might be entitled to it.
And as for your other comments, @Liz covered the point about your very confused understanding of passports. Most people entering the USA do not have US passports.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/22 15:11

If your child was not registered with the US Embassy/Consulate in Japan, he/she is only in the Japanese parentfs gKosekih (family register), I assume? That means the child has Japanese nationality but not American citizenship. I donft know how old the child is, but please check with the US Embassy/Consulates Services in Japan about this issue.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/24 15:38
Thanks for the replies.
1.) My kid is 4 years old, and lives in Japan with mother(Japanese) has full custody. I am moving back to US in a few months.
2.) I am confused because the embassy website says if a japanese national has a us parent, by law they require a passport to enter.

Full Japanese need ESTA to enter US for travel (I know because my ex had to do this as a tourist).
But my child is half. Yes its on the Koseki and I am listed as remark. My concern is if they choose US nationality when they are not a minor, they will need some kind of proof of US Citizenship to do so.

Its ok if you dont have concrete answers, I tried to report their birth and get passport on my side but it seems not possible. But not being able to get one forever is wrong.
by asker (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/24 15:51
It is important that you do something to recognize him as your son of a US citizen. US law states that a child born, outside the US, to a US mother has the right to be a US citizen. However, a child born outside the US, who has a US citizen father must do "something" [I do not know what that is right now] [see: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-consider...].

This is the child's right. He may want to claim US citizenship in the future. You are being a good father. Do not give up.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/24 17:26
Thanks John,
I was really losing faith here. I'll try my best to find a way.

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/24 17:54
@LIZ
I apologize but after re-reading my initial post I made a typo there.
The correct one is:
"If my kid doesnt get a US passport would they still be able to enter the USA like a regular Japanese national or is this not allowed? "

The issue is my Japanese son, years from now, if he decides to travel for whatever reason from Japan to the US, can he do so with one(JP) passport? and if he needs me to get a US passport and/or prove he is related to me to claim citizenship what can I do to prepare?

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/24 19:48
If your son doesn't get a US passport, he will still need one to go to America. His mother will then have to get him a Japanese passport. Japanese are allowed to enter the US on a visa-waiver program, therefore he just needs to show up at the airport to be allowed in.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/24 21:38
That doesnt make sense at all. He still needs a US passport to go in. But then you said he is on a visa-waiver agreement so he can go in with only JP passport.

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/24 21:44
He needs ga passporth to travel to another country. (I believe the earlier poster meant ga passporth when they wrote ghe still needs oneh to travel.)

The way things are, it looks like he can only get Japanese passport, based on his entry on the motherfs gKosekih (family register). He can travel to the US with just the Japanese passport, just like his mother would. Of course the duration will be limited, unless they obtain some longer term visa for the US.

On the other hand, if he wants to have a US passport based on his father being an American, it looks like the process required for that has not been taken yet. Please check with the consulate services what YOU as the father needs to do in order for your child to keep his eligibility for a US passport, meaning for him to be recognized as an American. That process is nothing Ifm familiar with.

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/24 21:54
I hope you find some useful information through the URL provided by gJohnh earlier. You could contact the US Embassy/Consulate Services in Japan directly to ask as well. Best wishes.

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/25 07:24
Your non-referenced statement is imprecise regarding a passport as they would get and travel on a Japanese passport. The idea that a child of a US father needs a US passport to enter the USA is illogical (and there would be no way for US immigration to determine that just on presentation at the border.
As for process, the first search result on the US consulate web site took me here:
https://jp.usembassy.gov/services/citizenship-services/birth/online-cr...
My reading of the requirements is that both you and the child need to attend for an in-person interview.

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/25 15:04
I also have read that page before. There are some circumstances where appearing in-person are non applicable (for example if the US parent passes away, or in asker's case Im guessing they lose contact and the son tries to seek him out, or the child is born out of wed-loc).

To asker,
In this case it looks like rather than worrying about this now, it will depend solely on your son's future actions and decisions about his nationality. As earlier stated he eventually has a choice but at this point it will be his to make and the best thing is to wait. The forms on the embassy's website are a bit vague but ask them and they can help guide you in the right direction.

I honestly dont think they check at the airport for two passports if youre mixed. Maybe if he says he is a US citizen by blood they will have reason to.
by ToroZushi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/25 15:14
Furthermore asker, you are presented with two problems. 1. Is that you need to report the birth abroad which is the link JapanCustom posted. It sounds like this is the bigger problem because you will not be in Japan. 2. Is the US passport.

At the moment you will only be able to report birth abroad. The passport application depends on the one actually applying for it(your child).
by ToroZushi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: US passport for Child 2021/5/25 16:41
Agree with the above. Basically since you did state that you are talking about the "far future", it's very possible that the procedures for this, documents required, etc. will be different in 10-15 years so any information you have today may or may not be applicable when it actually comes to your child getting a US passport.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: US passport for Child 2021/6/6 21:04
@JapanCustomTours
"Your non-referenced statement is imprecise regarding a passport as they would get and travel on a Japanese passport. The idea that a child of a US father needs a US passport to enter the USA is illogical"

https://jp.usembassy.gov/services/frequently-asked-questions/#q70c
Question: Can my dual citizen child go to the U.S. using his/her Japanese passport? Which passport should my dual-citizen child use to enter/exit Japan and U.S.?

Answer: By law, U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Your child does not need and should not register for ESTA. Dual citizens should carry both valid passports (U.S. and Japan) at all times when traveling to/from the U.S. The dual citizen must present the Japanese passport when going through Japanese immigration and the U.S. passport at U.S. immigration. The only time your child presents both passports at the same time will be at the airline counter in Japan.

is this clearly referenced enough?

Re: US passport for Child 2021/6/6 22:29
Asker,

The confusion comes from the fact that you are not aware that your child gcurrentlyh is NOT a US citizen.

Surely enough, when his birth is registered with the US authorities and he IS recognized as a US citizen, thereby eligible for a US passport, then the above reference would apply to him.

Currently we are talking about the procedure for your child to be recognized as a US citizen in the first place. Please understand this.

Re: US passport for Child 2021/6/7 09:22
Being officially an US citizen and biologically US child aren't same.

Is that clearly referenced enough?
by www (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: US passport for Child 2021/6/7 09:32
is this clearly referenced enough?
Much better.
BUT, as the pp stated, and you yourself have confirmed, your son IS NOT recoginised a US citizen currently. So the answer you referenced is not applicable.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread