Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 107 of 233: Posts 2121 - 2140 of 4650
prev
1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... 233
next

Addicted, too! 2010/1/31 04:45
I too get Japanese food whenever I can. Even though we live in a small town (pop. 8,500) in W. Wash. State, we have a couple of teriyaki places that have excellent Sushi chefs and excellent yakisoba. There are a couple more good Japanese restaurants in the Olympia area, which is about 30 miles away....or to Tacoma (an additional 25-30 miles). We rarely go up into Seattle. When my son and I go to Seattle, it's usually for a Mariner's game; then we take advantage of going to Uwajimaya's and "absorb" a bit of Japan! But when we get back home, boy are we tired! (Worth it, though!!)
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Japanese food 2010/2/1 00:35
When I was a GI in Yokohama I was afraid to try raw fish, much to the consternation of my Japanese friends who used to ply me with expensive dishes. During my tour in Okinawa I learned to love sushi and sashimi, and have been eating them whenever I get the chance, although I still canft abide sea slug. However, it is hard to find a good sushi bar in this area. The best sashimi I ever had was News Yearfs Eve 1979, on a beach in Northern Okinawa; the centerpiece was a huge red fish that was so fresh that it would shimmer when you sliced a piece off it, and the dipping sauce was out of this world. The sake was good too! I donft know why my Japanese friends put up with me, I wasnft exactly the gugly American,h I was probably his second cousin; but I was the only gaijin invited to the New Yearfs Eve party.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Japanese food 2010/2/1 10:35
During my time in Yokohama (68-69) I pretty much stuck with soba, tempura and yakitori. Bayside Courts, where I lived, & the Army Printing & Publication Center in Kawasaki, where I worked, both had American food available. Once in a while, however, I had sashimi. I did like sake if it was chilled.
by Joe G. (guest) rate this post as useful

Uwajimaya 2010/2/2 01:33
Uwajimaya is first or second on my must-see list whenever wife and I visit # 1 son in Seattle.
Next on the list is a mandatory stop at Duke's Clam Chowder Emporium. 25 different kinds of clam chowder, plus Pilsner Urquell on tap !
If that's not heaven, you can see it from there.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

25 clam chowders? 2010/2/3 04:43
In the east we seem to just have two that I'm aware of: Manhattan clam chowder, New England clam chowder. What are some others, Eric?

As for the Uwajimaya - isn't that some kind of grocery store? I think there might be several on the west coast, but none here that I know of. Our nearest high-density Japanese community is Scarsdale, in Westchester county just north of NYC - there are lots of small Japanese grocery stores there, though Japanese restaurants are everywhere, many with mixed menus of other Asian foods, and many run by Koreans rather than Japanese owners.

Jeff says that the daily food of choice these days in Japan seems to be noodle dishes, which are sort of like soups with lots of "islands" of delcious homemade ingredients - very satisfying comfort foods.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

grocery store 2010/2/3 10:21
Seattle is a great town for seafood, like San Francisco is.
I used to visit a couple of refineries and terminals around SFCA on business. Someone suggested I fly into Oakland because fog in SF would divert airplanes to Oakland anyway.
Emeryville is five minutes drive from the Oakland airport and is home to Trader Vic's, one of the historic Asian eateries on the west coast.
Great curry !

WHAT ! 2010/2/3 10:33
lets be clear on this.. Manhattan clam chowder is NOT chowder. Never was, never is.
Tomatoes and clams do not belong together.
Sorry folks but we are on very dangerious grounds here. Persist in this line of thinking and I will have to send you-all a quart of my special clam chowder.. I have all of your addresses. Fair warning..
by Peter from New England (guest) rate this post as useful

hey Peter... 2010/2/3 11:21
Hope we can agree that Pilsner Urquell is the best beer in the world.

Best Beer 2010/2/3 12:33
Sorry Eric-san.. never had it.. loved Kirin
also St Pauli Girl.. anything but Bud Lite
or anything light for that matter. I will take your word for it. Went to my pantry.. yup..Kinkoman made in Wisconsin..next thing Hondas will be made in Kentucky. I'm losing it..
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Best Beer? 2010/2/4 02:13
Eric, I cannot recall ever having tasted Pilsner Urquell, so cannot agree that it is the best beer in the world. Of all the labels I have drunk over the years and in many countries, and believe me there have been many, my favorite beer is Wachtersbacher Schlossbrau, an old, honest recipe, brewed in a castle in a small town near Frankfurt, Germany. Although, Kirin ranks up there with the best.

beer 2010/2/4 05:01
My favorite American brand is Leinenkugel's, brewed in Chippawa Falls, WI. It is an old time rather heavy lager. It was bought out by Miller about 20 years ago.
Pils is brewed in the Czech Republic.

Yuengling Beer 2010/2/4 08:01
Has anyone ever tasted Yuengling Beer? I know the name almost looks like it has Japanese genes, but it's actually made in Pottstown, Pennsylvania -- claims to be America's oldest brewery, since 1829! That's more than 180 years of continuous operation by five generations of the Yuengling family.

http://www.yuengling.com/
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Getting back to Chowder! 2010/2/5 03:08
Sorry to disagree,Peter, but - - according to research - -

Manhattan clam chowder has clear broth, plus tomato for red color and flavor. In the 1890s, this chowder was called "New York clam chowder" and "Fulton Fish Market clam chowder." The name "Manhattan clam chowder" became attached in the early 1900s from the people in Maine. Clam chowder, in its cream-based New England version, has been around since the mid-18th century, and no mention of any Manhattan chowder has been found that predates the 1930s. Many restaurants in northern Rhode Island sell both red and white chowders, while the southern coast favors clear and white chowders. Often they are served alongside clam cakes.

According to Good Eats Magazine, the addition of tomatoes in place of milk was initially the work of Portuguese immigrants in Rhode Island, as tomato-based stews were already a traditional part of Portuguese cuisine. Scornful New Englanders called this modified version "Manhattan-style" clam chowder because, in their view, calling someone a "New Yorker" was an insult.

But feel free, Peter, to send us a pot of your no-doubt delicious "white" clam chowder - it actually is our favorite, though more fattening than Manhattan.

good eats 2010/2/5 03:52
I received several generous gifts in recognition of my recent 62nd birthday, including a family heirloom from Yokohama. Thank you, Kaoru-san.

Knowing that I am contemplating retirement, wife Jeannie bought me the "Weber's Big Book of Grilling," published by the Weber Charcoal Grill company in Chicago (500,000 copies sold, it says.)

I have several cookbooks, covering Japanese and Thai dishes and I also have an Italian and Mexican cookbook that I look at occasionally.

I expect none of these will be as well-thumbed as the Weber book. I've already nailed three of the recipes in this book; babyback pork ribs, beef prime rib and a new approach to trout.

I've been a skinny kid all my life. This could change.

Happy birthday, Eric! 2010/2/5 11:03
And we're sure you'll enjoy your retirement - we can vouch for there being nothing better on earth that being an early retiree.

And when people ask you, "Okay, Eric, what are you going to do with yourself now?", the proper answer is: "Anything I want!" We were asked this annoying question repeatedly, and at first felt a little put out. But people are usually just curious, and maybe a little envious as well.

When Ron and I first retired we took about a dozen extensive trips to Europe - 5 to 6 weeks at a time - in the spring and fall. We used Eurail passes, like the kids, using the base city approach with lots of day trips. We saw a lot and had a ball. Then we settled down and worked on a some projects together.

In looking back, I wish we had taken a trip or two to Japan at that time - maybe we'll still do that some time soon.

Do you have any plans like that?

If not, we'll be right over for some of that delicious-sounding grilling!

heirloom ? 2010/2/5 23:34
Happy Birthday Eric !!

So.. if you can tell us.. what is the heirloom from Yokohama ? and How is Kaoru ?

Fire up that grill !!
by peter (guest) rate this post as useful

weekend 2010/2/6 03:49
I've got grilling on my mind for the weekend, Peter. The roast requires a steady temperature so I'll use the gas grill. I have some stuffed mushrooms and an aluminum foil pouch of scliced potatos that will go on charcoal. My carbon footprint should be off the chart come Super Bowl Sunday.

Kaoru's dad was our neighborhood policeman in the old Sannotani neighborhood. It seems that ever time I got into a scrape, Sase-san would appear and bail me out. He was like my adopted (albeit stern) uncle (see earlier stories about the fire station grease pit.)

One of my favorite pictures from that era is Kaoru's father and his partner standing in front of their police Jeep. I can't count the number of times I came home as a guest in that Jeep.

Eric 2010/2/6 09:00
Happy Birthday! Hope you enjoy your retirement.

Social Security 2010/2/7 00:28
I visted the Social Security office in Lebanon, Missouri this past week to get the details on the retirement at 62 program.
The representative said that, for every month I wait to file past my birthday, my SS check would go up by $10.
Ten bucks!

Social security - question 2010/2/7 00:33
Eric - what if you wait past your full retirement age of 66 or 67 - isn't there a benefit there as well? Or doesn't it pay to wait until, say, 70? Just wondering. I thought I read somewhere that you gain 8% a year, plus whatever the cola happened to be, if you wait untio 70.

Page 107 of 233: Posts 2121 - 2140 of 4650
prev
1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... 233
next

reply to this thread