Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 130 of 233: Posts 2581 - 2600 of 4651
prev
1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 ... 233
next

Re: Jeff 2010/9/9 22:45
Would you people get off Jeff's back, he wants to have a little fun before he has to settle down with the "old ball and chain." By the way Steffi, is Jeff going to Italy for business or pleasure? Back in 1986 the coins were still Italian, not Euro.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Wally-san 2010/9/10 01:12
We know that the euro wasn't used until around 10 years ago. When we were traveling in Europe a dozen years ago or so the euro existed, but only for banking people- everyday transactions were still done with local currencies. I remember how pretty and interesting the paper money in most countries was - presenting philosophers, musicians, military heroes, historical figures, art - a really informative lesson on the country you were in. I was sorry that these were all being discontinued.

Jeff's traveling for pleasure, but still has to do some work each day and continue to keep tabs on the sports world, and never be away from internet access. He carries a small portable computer and can do work wherever he is as the need arises.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Josh Billings Triathalon 2010/9/12 10:05
To change the subject - tomorrow is our yearly Josh Billings Triathalon - it is held in our area - and is one of our fall country events - -

The 34th Josh Billings RunAground is Sunday, September 12, 2010

The "Josh" is the 2nd oldest bike, canoe/kayak, run triathlon in the world!

The race begins in Great Barrington, Massachusetts with a 27-mile scenic and challenging bike ride through 5 towns, followed by a 5-mile canoe or kayak sprint around Stockbridge Bowl and is completed with a 6.2-mile run around the lake ending at the Tanglewood Music Festival in Lenox.

The "Josh" combines the scenic beauty of the Berkshires with four exciting sports and the result is a great day of competition, fun and camaraderie. Following the race, the Great Josh "Bash" takes place at Tanglewood with music, food, festivities, the annual Kids Fun Run and awards.

The Josh has 37 categories divided into canoe and kayak divisions. Competitors may enter as part of a 4, 3 or 2 person team or as an Ironperson.

(I should announce that Peter is going to enter - he is an "Ironman" - meaning he does all the events - bicycling, running and rowing all by himself - we wanted to get him a partner, but he wanted none of that!! - of course we are just joking!!)

Notice by the forum moderator regarding the deletion of an offending post 2010/9/12 10:50
Anti-islamic propaganda and other ethnocentric or intolerant provocations are strictly prohibited on this forum. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
by Admin (guest) rate this post as useful

To Admin 2010/9/12 12:21
I apologize for having started the offending anti-Islamic propaganda, and I promise I won't bring up politics again.

Thank you! 2010/9/12 12:44
Thank you very much for your cooperative reply!
by Admin (guest) rate this post as useful

Money then and now 2010/9/12 23:44
I recently read that the American dollar is now worth 85 Yen. I'm not sure if this is because of the yen's strength or the softening of our dollar's value. Maybe it's a combination.
As a youngster in Yokohama, I knew that 365 yen would get you a dollar but not the greenback dollar I now use as currency.
Our dollar was "MPC" or Military Payment Certificate, good for purchases at the PX.
The military dollar bill was blue and about three fourths the size of a greenback. Fifty cent notes were red, quarters were orange, and five cent notes (yes, nickel notes--a guy's wallet could be stuffed full but only hold five dollars worth or real cash.)
Then, every two or three years, all the old MPC was declared worthless and new notes were put in circulation. The new dollar was pink, the fifty center was gold, etc...it was very confusing. You had to show a military ID to turn in the old money for new money. I had the right ID and made it a point to clean out my savings jar and head for the old Bank of America office when this event was announced.
My dad said the money switch was to make sure the "Reds" didn't get our money and buy stuff at the PX and commissary. I tried to imagine what those 'Reds' would do with frozen blocks of Sealtest milk and eggs from California. Soba noddles were unaffected and I was glad of that.
There were five or six money changes while I lived in Japan. My mother had one dollar bills from three of them in my scrap book and I still have a green $.25 note that gets smaller every time I look at it.

Flash forward to 1980, married with four year old son Jeremy, the boy and I cleaned out his piggy bank one weekend and discovered $100 in coins and bills. We had been talking about school which was coming up and, eventually college and how it would be important to save for university tuition.
It was decided we would buy a CD with the money. Our bank wouldn't give a CD for this small amount but the savings and loan that had our home mortgage would. The next Saturday, Jeremy had his first experience in banking; he bought a $100 CD, paying 20 percent interest. 365 days later, Jeremy was $20 dollars richer and had become a man of the world.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

A yen for Yokohama 2010/9/13 00:29
When I was in Yokohama it was 360 yen to the dollar, and I was able to stretch my E-4 paycheck for almost the entire month. If I couldn't, the NCO club would loan you chit books which you could use in the club, but had to pay back the first of each month. I remember one time it was the end of the month and my buddy and I wanted to go downtown but we didn't have any money. I only had a quarter, so I changed it into five nickels and started playing the five cent slot machine. I hit a fifteen dollar jackpot on about the third nickel, so we went downtown! By the way Eric, the Reds now use our facilities. When I was in Frankfurt in the 1980s, Russian soldiers were always in the PX.

Poetry 2010/9/13 01:54
This is my aunt's poetry. This was translated with the great friend of mine.

"Sunshine caressed our hillside home where crops of red beans dry.

The shrike attends to the village both north and south.

A farmerfs labor, stored in the granary, looked after by the scarecrow".

Original written by Tomoko F.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Wally 2010/9/13 03:29
I too would go and play the slots. Several times I would catch a jackpot on the nickel machine-I think it paid $2.50, which was more than enough to get a chicken dinner.

You must have been there the same time as me 1968 thru 1969. 360 yen to the dollar was the rate.

Although I was was only in the Army for 2 yrs, I made SP-5 after a yr. & a half. They were giving away rank then. The navy guys I knew complained it took them 5 years to make E-5.

Regards

by Joe G. (guest) rate this post as useful

9/11 Bud Commercial - AIRED ONLY ONCE 2010/9/13 13:41
by Joe G. (guest) rate this post as useful

Japan missing 230,000 centenarians 2010/9/16 06:32
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/2010/09/japan_missing_23000...

A month-long audit of Japanese family registers has turned up a macabre fact: 230,000 elderly people are missing.
The country has touted its citizens' longevity, but it is now reeling from the discovery that thousands of its registered citizens over 100 years of age may no longer be living.
The nationwide search started when officials went to wish their oldest male citizen a happy 111th birthday. They found a 30-year-old mummy instead. The family had continued to collect Sogen Kato's pension after his death, which likely occurred in 1978.
Japan initially released figures that listed the population of people over 100 at around 40,300, but the audit turned up 230,000 missing centenarians on the public registry. Many of the missing would be at least 150 years old, and some may have died as long ago as World War II.
Alexandra Harney at Slate thinks American adults who are still single need to take a lesson from the macabre turn of events in Japan: stop mooching off mom and dad and start having kids of your own. "There will be fewer workers to support more retirees, a shrinking workforce, and falling demand for Japanese companies' products and services."
By Melissa Bell | September 10, 2010; 8:49 AM ET
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Aging populations 2010/9/18 02:10
Interesting article, Dave-san. A little fraud here?

Another point - Japan has an aging population, which is a serious problem - many more older folks' pensions and benefits needing to be supported by fewer young workers who replenish the government coffers with tax payments.

This is true in European countries also, the reason why governments need to raise the retirement age but people are resisting.

We in this country are at least temporarily saved from the same problem because of our Spanish population, which is said to have larger families then other groups, and is keeping us a younger nation, for now. This problem of an aging population may become one of the unconsidered side effects of developing strict immigration policy in our country.

OH BOY 2010/9/18 06:14
won't touch this with a
by ten foot pole (guest) rate this post as useful

Omoiyari Yosan 2010/9/18 09:30
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Another NYC storm 2010/9/18 11:49
Trees in the Thousands Killed by NYC Storm
By N. R. KLEINFIELD and ELISSA GOOTMAN
Published: September 17, 2010

Some were more than a century old but still sturdy and doing their jobs. Many others were young and willowy, just getting going. Some of them were inscrutable; no one truly knew them or how they got there. But others felt like old friends. They were wonderful for their blissful shade, to climb, to simply stare at and admire.

There was a beloved scarlet oak that had stood forever in a farm familyfs cemetery in Queens. There was a Callery pear that parrots preferred on a street in Brooklyn. Trees that had stories to them that were now prematurely finished.

The tragedy of the storm was Aline Levakis, 30, from Mechanicsburg, Pa., the sole person to die, when a tree, as it happened, crushed her car on the Grand Central Parkway.

Buildings and houses were severely damaged, thousands of customers lost electricity and many commuters were inconvenienced.

But destroyed were thousands of trees \ trees torn out of sidewalks, others flung 30 or 40 feet through the air, still others shorn of branches, cracked in two.

On Friday, as the city plowed ahead in the painstaking process of cleaning up the wreckage and repairing damage, it was still too early to tabulate a reliable tree death count.

The city has over 100 species and more than five million trees, some as old as 250. Clearly the loss was great.

Adrian Benepe, the cityfs parks commissioner, estimated that as many as 2,000 of the 650,000 street trees had been killed or else so crippled that they would have to be cut down. Mr. Benepe said hundreds of the two million trees in the parks were killed or damaged beyond hope. Hundreds more lost limbs.

Storms periodically batter the cityfs trees. A freak storm in August of last year toppled about 500 trees in Central Park.

The storm on Thursday left Manhattan and the Bronx virtually unscathed but was merciless in the other boroughs.

gItfs hard to compare to previous storms,h Mr. Benepe said, gbut given the brevity of the storm, the extent of the damage seems unparalleled.h

As workers began carving up the trees and trucking them away, they found decimated oaks, Norway maples, catalpas, and more and more.

Mr. Benepe said the older, larger trees, like the maples, oaks and London planes that were planted along city streets, suffered worst. They have a lot of leaf surface that catches the wind, and they are inflexible.

Many Callery pears, with their showy white blossoms, also went. Although smaller, they are weak-wooded. The storm wiped out a dozen or so willow trees lining Willow Lake and Meadow Lake in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, Queens. Some of them fell into the lakes.

On the blocks around Juniper Valley Park in Middle Village, Queens, hundreds of elderly elms, oaks and maples succumbed. Youngsters \ 7 to 10 years old \ were yanked out like matchsticks and whipped through the area.

Robert Holden, president of the Juniper Park Civic Association, walked around the bruised neighborhood on Friday snapping pictures of fallen timber.

One majestic tree, regarded as the neighborhoodfs treasure, was an immense scarlet oak in the Pullis Farm Cemetery, an early American farm family burial ground. It was believed to be more than 110 years old. It was a beauty, just about perfectly symmetrical.

gWhen you touched the tree, you felt like you were touching a part of the 19th century,h Mr. Holden said.

The storm tore it down, ending its long life in a blink.

byrd school 2010/9/19 03:11
my name is tanya ,I lived in negeshi heights 1966-1971
went to bryd school, friends...billy and ricky williams, mary and john takaki and bonita ballard....
by tanya (guest) rate this post as useful

Future Populations 2010/9/19 06:39
Japan has a current population of 126 million, and is projected to have a population of 100 million in 2050. Whereas, the United States has a current population of 309 million, and is projected to have a population of 450 million in 2050. I personally think it will be closer to 550 million as our Southern border will stay unsecured, and our country will be overrun with illegal aliens. The Japanese government has a crash program right now to develop robots to take up the slack for lack of human workers, and in 2050 the Japanese people will be living in an un-crowded, clean, beautiful country, and in the United States we will be living in an overcrowded cesspool.

2050 Predictions 2010/9/19 15:04
I'll be 109 years old in 2050 and will need a robot to press 2 for English so I can talk on the phone.
Japan will be overrun with old broken down robots.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Joe G. 2010/9/20 23:14
I was there 1967-68, and played the slots a lot, but am having a hard time remembering how they paid off. I think most of the machines you had to get three 7s for the big jackpot, or three stars on other machines. Then there were three oranges and three watermelons, lemons, and there were bars, and think they paid seven dollars on the nickel machines. Cherries were real common, and I got them a lot, but they didn't pay very much. But they were a lot of fun, and slot machines in military clubs paid off a lot better than they do in Vegas, baby!

Page 130 of 233: Posts 2581 - 2600 of 4651
prev
1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 ... 233
next

reply to this thread