Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 142 of 233: Posts 2821 - 2840 of 4651
prev
1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 233
next

The Heart of Dixie 2011/3/5 08:56
Mina-san,

Today was bright and warm along the banks of the Tennessee River. Life is good in the Heart of Dixie.

Kaoru,

Thank you so much for posting the video. It contained some rare footage that I haven't seen before. The Yokohama skyline is so different now with the Landmark Tower, the three Queens and the Inter-Continental Hotel. But such a beautiful city ne.

Who is serious about a trip in October?

Tracy

by Tracy (guest) rate this post as useful

Japan trip 2011/3/5 10:44
I'd sure like to go. I have some frequent flyer miles on Northwest (now Delta) Airlines that I could use for part of the fare.
With the dollar now down to 82 yen, I'm afraid I'd have to live on soba noodles three times a day to manage expenses.

I've tried to get Kaoru's movies from old Japan to play on my computer but no luck. I had a virus attack about a month ago and it clobbered my old Dell with Windows XP. It just doesn't have the same snap, even after AVG was installed. I dislike the prospect of a new computer but it may be unavoidable.

I'm upgrading my photography interest by trading in my Canon 20 D for a 60 D. B&H Photo in NYC has the best price and free shipping to Mizzou. A trip to Yokohama would be a great way to start. A new learning curve is ahead with this camera.

Tracy mentioned the TN River...
In my selling years, I had customers in Memphis, Counce and Chattanooga. Dixie doesn't happen untill you sit in a downtown restaurant in Chattanooga and drink sweet tea for a few hours after lunch. Time unrolls at a more gracious clip in this part of the world.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Foriegner's Cemetary 2011/3/6 00:23
Stefi,

During my upcoming trip to Japan in May, I will drop by the Foriegner's Cemetary to pay my respects at the USS Onieda Memorial. I go there every time I visit Yokohama. The Onieda was sunk with most of the crew at the entrance to Tokyo Bay on 24 January, 1870. The Commanding Officer, Commander Edward P. Williams, chose to remain on the bridge of the ship and went down with it. It's a wonderful story just waiting to be told.

If you want me to pay respects to your father while I am there, I would be happy to do so.

Tracy

Correction 2011/3/6 00:29
In my previous note I transposed the i and e in USS Oneida.

You can find out more about her in the 'Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships'.

Tracy

suggestion for Eric 2011/3/6 01:15
Try and new search engine like firefox if IE, google is running your XP. Might help.
I couldn't get Karous video either, so don't feel badly.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Again 2011/3/6 01:31
This is a link of Movies. This was produced by the Yokohama city. I cannot sometimes be seen. Please try several times click them. It is not likely to be able to possibly see in foreign countries...

http://www.city.yokohama.jp/me/keiei/kichitaisaku/rekishi/eizo_rekishi...
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

My Kokyoh 2011/3/6 10:16
Lived in Yokohama from birth till HS graduation. 1954 - 1972. Anybody out there with memories from those days?
by M. Hill (guest) rate this post as useful

Memories... 2011/3/6 11:58
Welcome M.Hill !!
Lets see...there are 2,827 posts to this forum..I think its fair to say we have some memories, but amazing you were there so long..so it seems you "outrank" all of us..what is your story ?
On a more mundane note..we now have power back..was out for all day..the crews were working with one hand tied behind there backs.
by Peter.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Ishikawachou and Motomachi 2011/3/8 02:43
Minasama, Ogenkidesuka?

Little snow fell in the morning.
The streets are lively with shoppers.

http://tamagazou.machinami.net/motomachi-ishikawacho.htm

Internet Magic 2011/3/8 06:13
Kaoru-san, Thank you for the great link to motomachi-ishikawacho.
Mina-san, here is a trick some of you may not know.
Go to http://www.google.com/
Enter the address Kaoru-san provided, http://tamagazou.machinami.net/motomachi-ishikawacho.htm
Click search if it doesn't search automatically.
Click Translate this page.
You should get the entire web site in English.
After you have looked at everything go to the bottom of the page and click Back to Kanagawa and then look at everything else translated to English.
Enjoy!
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Enoshima 2011/3/8 07:42
Dave-san, Arigatou. Internet magic is nice!

This is Christmas of Enoshima. And, it is Enoshima railway. This was event of the opening to traffic of the Enoshima railway on the 100th anniversary. Maybe, I think that you visited Enosihma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-cawCguyAc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoA9M8Wobfg

Motomachi 2011/3/8 10:53
Curious how streets in Yokohama that looked so big to me as a kid are now so narrow...

Oh Kaoru 2011/3/8 13:40
I just loved the train from Enoshima.It brought back many very good memories.
thank you so very much. The music was perfect!

Snow and other Stuff 2011/3/9 00:02
I hear there is more snow coming to the Midwest and the North. Gomenasai. That's the bad news. The good news is that it's getting warmer everywhere else, especially here inside the beltway . It's hard to believe but the area inside the beltway was once productive, back in Colonial Times.
Eric-san, I too have noticed that all of the streets in Yokohama have become narrower. Thanks for pointing out that I am not the only one who sees that. I have devoted a good bit of time exploring Yokohama and some other places on Google Earth and a couple of other map sites and have discovered that there is not much left that I remember. Just yesterday I looked at Yamato, where I spent nearly a year, on the web site that Kaoru-san just provided. I didn't recognize a thing. Nothing! Much of Yokohama is the same. The one place I do find a few memories is in the Bluff where at least the streets are all pretty much in the same place and not as crowded as the rest of Yokohama. Fortunately a few of the old landmarks and buildings remain in recognizable form.
Eric-san, second question. Where did you go in Memphis and when? Memphis is one of my favorite cities. I've lived there twice. I was there a couple of months ago and ate barbeque just about every meal and would have visited one of the truck stops for biscuits and gravy if I could have gotten away in the middle of the night.
Tracy-san, You asked who is serious about a trip to Yokohama in October. Why October?
I've been thinking about a trip to Yokohama for some time now but I have a dilemma, my mate. Long ago, in the early sixties, I saw much of the Mediterranean while I was deployed aboard an aircraft carrier. My fondest memories are of swimming and snorkeling and scuba diving in the beautiful water there. It's one of the things I would really like to do again. We've been to Sicily three times recently and I've seen a lot of Greek ruins and old churches and eaten a lot of pasta and drank a lot of good wine but sadly I have not yet been able to go for a swim in the Mediterranean.
If I go to Yokohama I will want to spend most of my time visiting places I once knew, mostly on foot, and subsisting mainly on street food when the mood strikes me. If I bring Barbara she will want to spend all of our time eating in all the fanciest places at precise times, shopping in all the most expensive stores, and visiting all the tourist traps. If I don't bring her I will never hear the end of it. Result, I'm probably better off staying home and forgetting about visiting Yokohama.
If this group decides to meet in Yokohama for some sort of get together I am seriously interested butI will want some time to do my own thing and I will want someone to occupy my partner while I'm off visiting my old neighborhood and my old memories.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Hey Dave ! 2011/3/9 01:24
I have been in the residual oil business since about 1986, marketing bunkers to Great Lakes steamships and then to stationary facilities, primarily the paper industry. International Paper's HQ is in Memphis and there is also a small mill that makes paper for the electronics industry from cotton fiber lint in Memphis.
Tennessee and nearby states where soft pine trees are commercially grown were part of my trade and I always felt welcome here as I did in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
Tennessee really is three states, thus the three stars on the state flag. Chattanooga claims numerous carpet and flooring mills nearby and visiting these was always interesting. Also, the National Bird Dog Museum is in Grand Junction, TN and is worth a stop...

Negishi Club 2011/3/9 14:51
Hi. Back in 1992-95, I used to work at Negishi Club (restaurant) for few years as a waitress. Does anyone know whoever used to work at the club? Back then, a guy named Ricky was the restaurant Manager. I remember Joe (a Japanese dude)was a Bartender... Great memories...
by T Welty (guest) rate this post as useful

Tracy-san 2011/3/10 15:34
I appreciate your kind offer to visit my father's grave at the Foreigner's cemetery as you also pay your respects to the men from the Oneida -I would appreciate it very much. He died in 1942, and his name was Karl Cohn, The short inscription is in German, but you will see his name. I have seen pictures of the grave, both by my son who visited last year, and by some dear friends from Kyoto, who at the time were working on a possible book about graves, I think.

A trip there sound lovely, but I don't think we can go just yet - some family health issues to resolve first.

And thank you Barbara and Dave-san for identifying the church opposite where I lived on the Bluff - I used to accompany my friend there for mass and remember the lovely small church well. I found a website showing a small section of the outside - it looked familiar, but I would like to see pictures of the inside some day.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Old Bluff Neighborhood 2011/3/10 17:22
Steffi, somewhere on the internet during past searches, I've seen a picture of the old interior of Christ's Church. In a cursory search, I haven't been able to re-find it and shall continue to search; Dave-san is much better at this sort of thing than I am. Meanwhile, here is a link to a series of photos taken by someone who was in our old neighborhood; http://picasaweb.google.com/jbartonratliffiii/Yokohama2005#. I found these photos by clicking on the "Images" tab in Google Search and following a round-about trail to "Christ's Church, Yamate-cho, Yokohama, Japan." These photos show the church being repaired -- apparently not long ago a fire damaged it.

Ah, a visit to Yokohama! If I were able to return, I would take long walks through the Bluff neighborhood, Motomachi Street, and the Nasugbu Beach area where Yo-Hi and the Chapel-on-the-hill used to be. I know the buildings are gone but wonder if the hill itself is still there. Unlike Dave-san and Eric, I recall many narrow side streets, one of the few things that haven't entirely changed. Even Motomachi remains relatively narrow, though not quite as claustrophobic as I recall it with tiny, single story Mama-san and Papa-san shops lining each side, replaced now by multi-story international corporate giants. Sigh. A return trip to Yokohama would be exciting but also a bit sad. For example, the view from the Foreigner's Cemetery or from anywhere on the Bluff now includes a sea of skyscrapers where, alas, none were before.

Kaoru, thank you again for the links to old pictures and the trips down memory lane.
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Barbara 2011/3/11 03:48
Many thanks for posting the link to the Yokohama pics.
I got to see what replaced Bayside Courts. That's where I lived 1968-69.
by Joe G. (guest) rate this post as useful

Bayside Courts 2011/3/11 06:59
Joe.help me, which photo is that ?

Page 142 of 233: Posts 2821 - 2840 of 4651
prev
1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 233
next

reply to this thread