Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 197 of 233: Posts 3921 - 3940 of 4651
prev
1 ... 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 ... 233
next

Golden week 2016/4/29 12:57
Hello, everyone

Japan is consecutive holidays from today. We call it "Golden Week".
Many families are traveling and go back to home town.
This is road traffic information on real time.
Freeways are heavy traffic jam. I am listening music at my house.

http://www.drivetraffic.jp/pc_en/map.html
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/6/3 23:04
Kaoru-san:

What is the status of the Negeshi housing area operated by the US Navy?

Thanks,
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/6/4 10:10
i think i heard that after several years of discussion that negishi has been turned back...needs clarification.
also there was a movie called emperior, staring tommy lee jones as gen mcarthur, have not seen it yet. did not go big in the theatres but has an authentic feel ..maybe of intrest to us japanofiles. did i spell that right. hey eric..any travel plans in the works ?
by peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/6/4 14:29
About 385 Negishi Navy housing moved by Dec. the last year may be. Those were integrated into Yokosuka and Zushi.
I saw Negishi's move by an article on newspaper of last year's Yokohama.

And I heard Kamiseya communication base to returned in June of this year.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/6/4 22:04
Peter:

I'm driving up to Iowa in a few days.
Does that count?

Eric

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/6/5 00:51
nope...
a little birdie told me that you might be going a bit furthur ..to the west perhaps ?

Travel 2016/6/6 21:15
No plans to go West to get Far East this year, although there is chatter about a YO-Hi reunion in Yokosuka next year. The American footprint in Yokohama is largely gone so the gathering would be in Yokosuka.
I also note the commander of naval forces has banned alcohol for the time being. Wonder what the bar and restaurant owners think of this development...

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/6/7 01:11
http://www.stripes.com/news/command-makes-its-pitch-for-yokohama-s-neg...

This is an article from the Stars and Stripes, March 12, 2016, about Negishi being given back to the Japanese for Housing. And the second underneath is an article from 2014 about a Japanese family in Negishi Housing who sued the Navy. Interesting.

http://japanpropertycentral.com/2014/02/japanese-homeowner-in-us-navy-...
by Louann R. M. (guest) rate this post as useful

70th reunion 2016/6/18 00:41
I just received confirmation of the proposed 70th reunion for American kids who attended Yo-Hi in Yokohama.
The gathering will be at a Tokyo hotel, and another function will be at Yokosuka.

70th reunion 2016/6/18 00:59
Eric-san

You'd be able to meet dear schoolmates.
http://yohidevils.net/Reunions/2017/YOHI_Jun2017/index.htm

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/6/18 22:45
eric-san

I think you should go.

Hey,
i'll carry your bags, my rates are verrry reasonable..ne?

Reunion 2016/6/23 02:06
I have mixed emotions about a reunion.
YO-HI is gone, The old PX/Commissary/Bill Chickering center has been erased. No more rickety streetcars, mom & pop grocery stores in the neighborhood or 60 yen taxis.
If I could return to the Yokohama of 55 years ago, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/6/23 14:44
Hi everyone - glad to see you all still sound fine.. what have I missed? Anyone gone to visit Japan or planning to go? My places are now "historic sites." Skyscrapers, modern transport, western foods and dress, symphony orchestras playing western music....As Wolfe said: you can't go home again....in most cases. I could visit Berrick Hall in Yokohama, once my home, as my son did a few years ago - it is now a museum; St Joseph's is now a condominium, St Maur's is still there, but in a new location... The Foreign Cemetery where my father was buried in 1942. The man who helped get him there from Tokyo and who was a prof of Japanese/Chinese studies at USC...Peter Berton - just died.....I have only one person left who knew me in Japan.....life moves on, which in some ways is good.....
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/6/25 14:25
Hello, Steffi

Yes, Yokohama is changed big, but your house is loved as a famous tourist spot in bluff. It's possible to hold a wedding ceremony there now and
married couples never forget Berrick Hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfJ8KzGTdq8

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/6/26 11:46
Thank you, Kaoru - the video of Berrick Hall is lovely. I have a picture of myself as a 7 or 8 year old in front of those arches outside, along with my Mom and about 25 Amer Red Cross "girls" ...The Red Cross was militarized and did social work with the military, from what I was told. I remember the hall very well - we had holiday dinners in front of that big fireplace in the large sunken living room, which also had a piano in it where I used to practice. I should also mention that Berrick is also where I saw my first western-style bathroom and toilet, which impressed me very much - it is funny that it appears in this video - along with the odd-shaped windows...

If I knew how, I'd post the photo here....maybe I'll have someone do it for me.....My best to everyone. I hope you're all well.

by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Red Cross 2016/6/27 23:00
Every summer, the Red Cross offered life saving training at the big swimming pool in Area 1.
I took the class every year. I've been hooked on living near the water since my pre-teens.
by Eric Davis (guest) rate this post as useful

Welcome back Steffi! 2016/6/30 09:13
I'm sure that I'm not alone in having missed your interesting posts to this forum. Both Dave-san and I lived on the Bluff within walking distance of Berrick Hall and rode the same school bus to Yo-Hi. How lucky you were, Steffi, to live at Berrick Hall -- such a beautiful old building. On Sundays I used to walk from my home on Yamate-cho to the Catholic Church a few blocks away. The views from the Bluff (of the ocean on one side and of the harbor and town on the other side) were long distance views and often beautiful, including occasional glimpses of Mt. Fuji, though it seems now (using Google Maps) that the town views from the Bluff are obstructed by in-your-face high rise buildings. So sad to hear that St. Joseph's School is now a condominium. The large, beautiful area where my house used to sit on the crest of the Bluff is now covered by what looks like a commercial tennis court. I recognize only an old wall along Yamate-cho and a large pine tree. You may not be able to go home again, but it's hard to stop trying. Glad, to see that you've returned to the forum, Steffi.

A special thank you to Kaoru for posting the Berrick Hall video and so many others that add so much to our discussions.
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

St. Joseph's 2016/7/1 00:00
I remember visiting St. Joseph's while I was attending Yokohama International School.

YIS and St. Joseph played an annual soccer game on the little sports field above the original YIS building. The St. J kids were bigger and meaner than we were.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/1 00:08
The one that I used was at Yokosuka
by Raymond Thomson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/1 03:42
Barbara-san

Anytime,

I saw an interesting clip, "History of Yokohama North Dock ".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i17Oat9gt4

Page 197 of 233: Posts 3921 - 3940 of 4651
prev
1 ... 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 ... 233
next

reply to this thread