Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 7: Posts 21 - 40 of 121
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/26 14:41
This sucks! I need cash as well! They can't leave 1000s of people without cash. Does anyone know if it's possible to get money transferred with a maestro card if you go to a citibank counter?
by benbrm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/26 16:22
I just called Mastercard Canada. The guy said that if someone was stuck with no money and unable to withdraw they can send money through Western Union. Here's the emergency number for Japan too: Japan 00531-11-3886

If you're unable to call the Japanese number for some reason, you can apparently collect call the US number: 001-636-722-7111

Also, just wondering, has anyone been able to withdraw from Japan Post so far? What about cards with the EMV chip + Maestro logo + Cirrus logo? Does it work? anywhere?

Thanks & Good luck everyone!
by Maki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/26 16:33
Just as I thought:
http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/english/ir/pdf/2013/20130417_E1.pdf

"Seven Bank, Ltd. (the gCompanyh)
announces that users of overseas issued MasterCard brand cash cards and credit cards
will no longer be able to withdraw Japanese yen or perform balance inquiries at Seven Bank ATMs as of Friday, April 19, 2013
The Company discontinued the ATM services in response to a revision in conditions by
MasterCard that will impede the Company's
provision of ATM services".

It is Mastercard that is responsible. They likely want more money from 7-11.

7-11 does accept other foreign cards...like Visa with Plus
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/27 02:01
What about Japan Post, do we have any information?
by Maki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/27 07:53
What about Japan Post, do we have any information?

Postal ATMs stopped accepting Maestro cards with EMV chips, but continue to accept Mastercards, Cirrus cards, and Maestro cards without EMV chips.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/27 16:24
Ok so last night I was able to withdraw money from a Citibank ATM. Hope that helps! :)

I'm using a card with a chip as well, good luck
by Dru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/27 19:09
Dru, with a Maestro card?

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/27 19:26
SO: as a matter of interest: WHAT foreign issued cards CAN now be used in ATM's in Japan?? None? If my understanding of EMV chips is that they are ANY card with Master card/Visa/Euro whatever (dont understand the "E" so euro stuff..sorry) chips, then what WILL foreign tourists be able to use?
We are happy to carry cash; always have; but we have always in the past had the "security" of knowing we could withdraw if necessary....and have , on occasions.
Interested in responses
Many thanks
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/27 20:52
My card is a mastercard debit card issued from Australia if that helps.
by Dru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/28 05:21
According to the link in my last post 7-11 accept Visa cards with Plus.

For the Japanese Post Office see http://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/en/ias/en_ias_index.html and PLEASE read carefully!

by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/28 06:44
Hi Dru: so is mine, but mine has a CHIP in it: does yours?

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/28 07:20
Dru, no wonder then that you were able to withdraw money. Only Maestro cards are currently not accepted outside of 7-Eleven stores.

Again I try to explain the current situation:

7-Eleven ATMs: don't accept Mastercard, Maestro, Cirrus, but accept everything else.

Other ATMs: don't accept Maestro cards with EMV chips, but accept everything else.

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/28 09:44
I went to my local bank (in Europe) two days ago and they told me that Mastercard is currently enforcing full EMV chip compatibility.

So all Japanese ATM networks are currently undergoing maintenance and will not accept any Maestro issued outside Asia for up to 3 months.

According to Mastercard, cards that do not carry the Maestro logo and a chip or are from either East Asia or the Netherlands should work.

An unconfirmed workaround for cards that have a magnetic stripe and a chip is to cover the chip with a piece of tape, this is however pure speculation based on a similar incident in Germany.
by Komari (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/28 15:58
I do understand that the Japanese ATM network has to do an upgrade, but why are cards issued in the Netherlands already working and others not? Is there a difference between the technology/chips?

I also have a normal VISA card (not plus) - so can anybody confirm a withdrawal with that normal card? As from the link above Japan Post Offices should accept it.

But still thinking about getting Travelers Checks as well... 3 months until the upgrade might be finished is a very long time! Where did you get this information? MasterCard office?
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/28 17:02
7-Eleven ATMs: don't accept Mastercard, Maestro, Cirrus, but accept everything else.

Other ATMs: don't accept Maestro cards with EMV chips, but accept everything else.

Thanks Uji, your explanation clarifies it beautifully, as always: NOW I understand.

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/30 18:33
I'm currently in Japan for holidays an this problem is ruining everything. I have 2 cards with maestro and chip and was not able to withdrawal from any int. ATM ( 7/11 , post office ) I also asked to a koban that called citybank for me and also them confirmed it will not work any more.
by Macs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/5/1 15:50
Yikes! Almost all cards in the UK are chipped. Need to see if I can get a visa card then since we're planning to use 7 eleven as backup.
by MayMay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/5/1 16:04
The same with Dutch Maestro cards and MasterCards. All these have the EMV chip. These cards can't be used at 7-11 or at the Post Office (JP Bank). Going to see whether Citibank can be used, if not I will have a problem soon.
by Akil (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/5/1 16:24

I have an ATM card with Cirrus mark and a few weeks ago, the post office ATM rejected it. I am going to try again tonight to make sure.
by plenty rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/5/1 17:04
@Akil: According to the mastercard website linked in one of the first posting cards issued in the Netherlands can be used again since 27th April.
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 7: Posts 21 - 40 of 121
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

reply to this thread