Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 31 of 31
prev
1 2

Re: Deadly mosquitoes? 2013/4/25 18:07
amazinga, someone has already basically answered your questions to me above, but to answer for yourself, yes, everyone I know who has grown up here has had the JE shot, and my 2 year old son is due to have his first JE shot in the next year, it's on the compulsory vaccination schedule.

I have had all the usual shots here done for my son as well as some non-compulsory ones, but after researching, JE is one that I am considering skipping for him since it seems so rare these days and we live in a very urban area. For the same reason I have not had it done myself. If you grew up here, you were almost certainly vaccinated, as I said before. If your boshi techo has been kept, check it, your vaccine records are there.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Deadly mosquitoes? 2013/4/25 23:48
I made a contact with some local vaccination clinics here and recieved different suggestions. The first said being in the country for more than 3-4 weeks can be a risk, the other said that just the southwest parts are at risk during May and later, which apparently includes Okinawa and Kyushu, unsure about Osaka and Shikoku though. Another said just visiting rural areas is a big risk. Well I have no clue what they get their info from but I am just trying to make things out and get rid of this annoying nervousity my "friend" started in me.

Actually someone even suggested me to take a shot now two weeks prior, but I doubt it would help.
by Lisa M (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Deadly mosquitoes? 2013/4/26 01:05
I would concentrate on prevention techniques other than the vaccine - http://www.cdc.gov/japaneseencephalitis/prevention/index.html
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Deadly mosquitoes? 2013/4/26 05:53
Here's a reality check from http://www.nathnac.org/pro/factsheets/japanese_enc.htm . Excerpt:

There have been two documented cases of JE in UK travellers. The first was a British woman who had been living and working in Hong Kong and was diagnosed with JE in 1982; she died as a result of cardiac and respiratory complications [6]. The second was a woman who had been to Thailand in 1994; she recovered fully after 4 months [7].

I don't know how many British tourists have travelled to Asia in the last 30 years, but the risk seems crazy small.

Re: Deadly mosquitoes? 2013/4/26 10:33
I made a contact with some local vaccination clinics here and recieved different suggestions. The first said being in the country for more than 3-4 weeks can be a risk, the other said that just the southwest parts are at risk during May and later

So basically the info they gave you falls on par with what has already been mentioned on this thread.

which apparently includes Okinawa and Kyushu, unsure about Osaka and Shikoku though.

Please take a look at a map. Okinawa and southern Kyushu islands are subtropical regions. Those are the areas they are referring to that are a higher risk zone. Osaka is not south nor particularly rural (its probably the second most urbanized area of Japan behind the greater tokyo region). Shikoku is relatively rural but not subtropical.

Well I have no clue what they get their info from but I am just trying to make things out and get rid of this annoying nervousity my "friend" started in me. Actually someone even suggested me to take a shot now two weeks prior, but I doubt it would help.

Its hard to get over the anxiety once the seeds of doubt have been planted, but getting the shot may not be a bad idea. You'll at least be covered for the second half of your trip, and moving your visits to "high risk areas" to those days might bring you enough peace of mind that you'll actually be able to enjoy your visit.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Deadly mosquitoes? 2013/4/26 19:21
Well the only rural trip might be Shikoku I dont know, but it will only be one shot, not the recommended two shots. Really I am so clueless and stressed up, and also very annoyed at the vaccine clinics saying different things. I can't trust anyone since I dont know who are right, or some of them have no clue at all and just guesses. Again I dont know what means "rural" areas they are refering to, its not like I will be going to a deep forest. Will only be relying on train travel. Hokkaido is the most rural side trips possible, the national parks and so, but if that is considered a risk area I dont know. The vaccine clinics dont seem to know anything about Japan anyway, and some info is for the whole region, not just Japan.
by Lisa M (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Deadly mosquitoes? 2013/4/26 22:29
Lisa M, can you take a look at the stats I posted earlier? More foreigners are murdered in Japan then get infected by JE. Are you worried about that? There are all sorts of risks that have higher probability.

Re: Deadly mosquitoes? 2013/5/3 14:17
Might have to ask a similar question. I know the risk is low, the stats are low in Japan, there is a map showing the cases between 2000 and 2009. I have no clue where most cases occure (most risk) but my doctor said the biggest occurance is around Okinawa islands and Kyushu. He also added this only applies for rural areas.

However, what is actually considered "rural"? Places like Miyajima?

I will mostly be visiting cities the size of perhaps Nara, but I want to and plan on going to some of the small islands that have some art exhibitions south of Okayama. Dont know if that is considered rural and risky. I know there are people living there year around. Also I want to make a Quick visit to the temple close to Narita AP.
Was also considering visit places like Biei, Daisetsuan, Onumakoen and Hakodate mountain. I tried to find some statistics on Hokkaido but google only showed me results of researching reports. Could I assume there is no risk at all at Hokkaido?
by Karo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Deadly mosquitoes? 2013/5/3 22:03
Hokkaido is the only island risk-free - http://www.itg.be/itg/Uploads/MedServ/NJAPENC%20bijlage.pdf . Note that summer is the season of activity.

Re: Deadly mosquitoes? 2013/5/4 23:02
Alright. Chugoku region had the latest breakout it said. Doesnt specify where exactly but I suppose cities are ouf of question. What about these island I think of (Teshima, Naoshima, Inujima)? They are inhabitated as far as I know, not sure if I would call it "rural" or not.

I heard rumors these infectious pests are only active after dark. Is that true?
by Karo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Deadly mosquitoes? 2013/5/7 10:25
I heard rumors these infectious pests are only active after dark. Is that true?

No, mosquitos are active after dark, but are most active at dawn and dusk.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 31 of 31
prev
1 2

reply to this thread