Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 33 of 33
prev
1 2

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/25 16:07
I plan to ask and check if there is seafood ramen with no pork. After all Japan has lots of types of ramen so perhaps there is one.

There is a good chance that the staff may not know the ingredients even if you ask. The recipes are usually highly guarded secrets. Also, a big concern is that in Japan, pork often literally means pork meat. Even if you ask the staff and they tell you that there is no pork in the ramen, there could still be pork bones in the broth and it may also be topped by a healthy dose of lard as a seasoning.

Anyway, probably 99.9% of ramen shops use pork in their dishes. The ones that don't usually specifically market themselves as vegetarian, so you're best off looking for those.

I think it would be impossible to get an exact of where I will be at an exact date and exact time. It's more like planning to see Ginza or Asakusa today etc. and hence if I happen to stop and see a ramen shop, I'll ask....any seafood ramen with no pork. Maybe ebiramen..... Yes and specifically will ask about the broth. That's it. Not rocket science here.
Perhaps it is an odd thing but at least I'd bother asking. Rather than sink my head in the sand.

If you actually want to enjoy vegetarian ramen then best to find specific restaurants first and plan you day around them. Sure it kills the spontaneity of looking for a restaurant, but the payoff will be worth it and you'll avoid a lot of disappointment. Otherwise, how flexible are you about eating pork? Some vegetarian find it easier to adopt a "what I don't know can't hurt me" attitude toward eating in Japan, so that might be something to consider if you prioritize flexibility over verification.

I hope one day people might expand their minds to include ramen without pork.

It exists, it's served at the vegetarian restaurants that you don't seem all that keen to seek out.

After all if Japan, can somehow discover they can do halal wagyu-- there is still hope.

It's two different things. Halal wagyu is fairly easy to do. Vegetarian wagyu on the other hand...

Riceless sushi even...

Riceless sushi by definition is NOT sushi. Maybe you're thinking of sashimi.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/25 21:40
Riceless sushi even...

Riceless sushi by definition is NOT sushi. Maybe you're thinking of sashimi.

That was the point I was making; ramen by most definitions has meat.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/26 11:36
I'm trying to eat as many interesting Japanese dishes as possible. Why do you think I am trying ramen in Japan for?

The best is to ask around and if there is, I'll post it here. Halal ramen is sold overseas in restaurants around SEA and Mid-east. So it isn't impossible but possibly harder to get since there really isn't a demand in Japan as of yet.

After all halal wagyu restaurant was unheard of years ago, but now there is at least 3 of them in tokyo alone.

by Aj (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/26 11:43
That was the point I was making; ramen by most definitions has meat.

Sorry, I see now. I took your post to be listing another "accomplishment" alongside Halal wagyu.

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/26 12:02
Japan is not a Muslim country; it doesn't have a sizeable Muslim population. Food taboos are not understood well by the general population.
Perhaps there is a niche for Halal ramen which could be served alongside Halal tonkatsu...

Is there a problem with the vegetarian ramen restaurants suggested?
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/26 12:03
I'm trying to eat as many interesting Japanese dishes as possible. Why do you think I am trying ramen in Japan for?

The best is to ask around and if there is, I'll post it here. Halal ramen is sold overseas in restaurants around SEA and Mid-east. So it isn't impossible but possibly harder to get since there really isn't a demand in Japan as of yet.

Well there are lots of places that have ramen without pork, but it seems like you are tone deaf to our recommendations and insists on seeing out random ramen restaurants with the hope that they'll have a non-pork option. Yes, chances are you visit enough places you're likely to find one that says they don't use pork in their shio ramen. But you can never be sure, so this way of searching is a fool's errand.

Let me repeat: it avoiding pork is important to you then look up vegetarian restaurants ahead of time. There's lots of them out there and they are not difficult to find. Otherwise, you may want to turn a blind eye and just assume that your shio ramen, hold the chashu, is pork free.

Here's a few vegetarian restaurants to get you started:

http://vegouttokyo.blogspot.jp/2011/06/ts-tan-tan-vegan-ramen-in-tokyo...
http://lovinghut.jp/
http://expatsguide.jp/7577
http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/venue/16180/Chabuzen

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/26 12:11
Loving Hut shows religious videos nonstop while you're eating.

(And I don't think they serve ramen anyway.)
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/26 12:17
I don't know about the religious videos but they have vegan tantanmen on their menu.

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/26 12:24
you can overcome this by Halal. There are many people, whose bodies physiologically refuse to take specific foods. we always think about those people first. I think your case is in your preference.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/26 13:17
they have vegan tantanmen on their menu

Ah you're right. I think when I went there they only had bentos but I might have just missed it.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/26 15:16
I just came across this link. Seems that there are several types of halal and vegetarian ramen being served at the ramen museum in Yokohama:

http://www.raumen.co.jp/information/news_000129.html

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2014/8/26 15:41
I feel that that what most of the posters trying to convey is, there is no 100% guarantee that your ramen would not have pork in it.

After all, as mentioned too, Japan has never been a religious country at best. Especially on issue on Halal food, unless there is certification on Halal in their restaurant, all you can is to believe yourself they do not use pork.

Otherwise, you could probably get more information from : http://www.islam.or.jp/en/services/halalfood/

Maybe they have more information on it.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Types of Ramen with no pork 2017/1/26 17:34
2 years have passed since this thread was last posted, and I just ate the most satisfying "tonkotsu" ramen I ever had, at the Ramen Museum branch of Komurasaki, and it was all-vegetable. Note that I'm not a vegetarian, and I regularly enjoy authentic tonkotsu ramen as a Japanese resident.

The dish is called 野菜だけでできているミニラーメン (small-portion ramen made only from vegetables), and it's even topped with a "chaashuu" (roasted pork) that's made only from vegetables mainly soy beans.

Komurasaki is a popular ramen shop from Kumamoto, a region known for thick tonkotsu (pork bone) soup ramen. But the all-vege ramen I had smelled like tonkotsu and tasted like tonkotsu. It's simply amazing.

I'm not sure if they only serve it at the Ramen Museum branch, but with the increase of foreign tourists to Japan, various industries are working hard to accomodate people of various habits.

If you can't/don't eat pork, but want to enjoy ramen, try asking at your favorite ramen shop or a tourist information counter.

http://www.komurasaki.com/shop.htm#siny
by Uco rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 33 of 33
prev
1 2

reply to this thread