Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 29 of 29
prev
1 2

Umm... 2005/1/9 20:39
Have you guys tried Japanese chopsticks? Our chopsticks are quite different from those you get in Chinese restaurants in the west. Actually, even we often find them (those plastics ones) very difficult to use. When I try Chinese food in the west, I just use a fork. It is easier! LOL :) No offence to Chinese chopsticks, but they really are designed to shovel food from a bowl, I think.

Japanese chopsticks are in fact a little shorter, lighter and more pointed. Recent ones often have a rough, gripping edge, so it is much easier to pick up and hold the food. Or try "waribashi" (disposable wooden chopsticks) from a sushi shop or Japanese food store. They may be the best ones to start with.
by Erin008 rate this post as useful

thanks 2005/1/10 06:37
than ks for the tip.... well now i know why my ramen keeps sliping on these plastic chop sticks....

but unfortunetly.... theres no japanese restaurant in my town... or county... and as far as i know not even in my state... theres a small asian section in the grocery store. but as i still haven't learned to read japanese i can't tell if the disposable chop sticks there are chinese or japanese.
by CJM rate this post as useful

Tips 2005/2/5 06:40
put a marsh mello on the top of your chopsticks. Or if you watch other people, it will come to you. I taught myself that way!
by Lindsay rate this post as useful

. 2005/2/5 16:19
Even though the Japanese chopsticks maybe different in shape/size/figure than Chinese chopsticks found in the West, the concept of holding and being able to pick up things are pretty much the same. So learning how to hold and use basic function of chopsticks isn't really all that affected.
by . rate this post as useful

Re: How do you eat rice with chopsticks? 2007/12/17 11:30
Eating rice with chopsticks is pretty straightforward:

(1) know how to use chopsticks to begin with
(2) use them to primarily eat steamed rice.

As for some of the comments, it's not that Japanese rice in particular is stickier; any rice that is *steamed* is more moist, fuller and thus "stickier". It ought not matter whether the rice grains themselves are the product of Japan.

Thus it comes down to rice preparation. Stir-fried rice or pressure-cooked rice comes out grainier/less moist, and is therefore eaten with other utensils.

On a final note, it's actually relatively easier to pick up rice than it is to pick up pieces of vegetables or sushi.
by Food Lovah rate this post as useful

cooking 2007/12/17 13:05
It may seem odd to asian people, but it is often the case that western people don't cook their rice the "proper" way.

For example, my mother showed me how to cook rice by "absorption". Rinse rice in cold water, fill to about 2cm above the rice level, boil slowly until there is no surface water, then on very low for about 20 min, then let it stand for another 10 min. All of the original water is absorbed into the rice, so it becomes sticky.

I've watched my wife's (western)mother cook rice, and she boils lots of water first, then tips the rice in. It bubbles and boils, and is stired every now and again, until the rice has burst and it is soft. The water is then drained, and you are left with cooked rice that has all of the taste boiled out of it. Each grain is separate, and doesn't taste like rice should taste.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/18 10:03
I've watched my wife's (western)mother cook rice, and she boils lots of water first, then tips the rice in. It bubbles and boils, and is stired every now and again, until the rice has burst and it is soft. The water is then drained, and you are left with cooked rice that has all of the taste boiled out of it. Each grain is separate, and doesn't taste like rice should taste.

Funny, a lot of western colleagues think that the japanese rice doesn't taste much. But what you forgot to mention is that when westerners boil the water for the rice, they often also add salt, resulting in a salty taste of the rice.

I like both ways of rice preparation, when I cook for myself, I usually boil it the western way and add a few spices to the water sometimes. This can produce interesting results. :)

As for how to eat rice with chopsticks, I think everything has been said. :)
by Haf rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/18 10:09
Yes it has, Haf. I'm the original thread starter (I forgot my password and login lol), and I forgot about this thread a long time ago. A long time ago, ebing 2004. I have no idea how this thread got dredged up like this, and yet people are still giving new answers! It's quite amusing!
by Thread Starter rate this post as useful

Its hard 2008/6/16 11:31
sometimes when u make rice sticky u came eat it with chopsticks but otherwise USE A SPOON
by Cammo rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 29 of 29
prev
1 2

reply to this thread