Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 24 of 24
prev
1 2

Re: Foods which are so much better in Japan 2018/4/13 12:40
Tokyo seafood is not so special that is why

I thought Tsukiji oyster (the one stall crowded by tourists) was very already good, but after I had live oyster from Shiogama, the oyster from the same stall was no longer impressive. I think Tokyo still offer good choices for tourists, but if there's a chance to travel to other area, getting local produce is definitely the best. The locals also take pride of their local produces, so getting it prepared by locals amplifies the overall experience.

by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Foods which are so much better in Japan 2018/4/13 12:52
Raw eggs are eaten raw every day for donkey years in many parts of Aisa

Surely you're not talking about South East Asia.. ?

In my hometown in Indonesia, we don't eat raw egg due to lack of hygiene control and assurance, worsen by the bird flu case. I live in Singapore and have been enjoying raw or soft boiled egg because I know it's part of society and there's quality control to assure the freshness. When I'm back home, I will ensure the egg is perfectly cooked.

Check how locals do their eggs. If runny or raw eggs are integral part of their lives, you're safe. But if eggs are always fully cooked, then better be safe (unless you know exactly where the eggs are sourced from).

Re: Foods which are so much better in Japan 2018/4/14 10:06
Miyajima seafood is good too, I think. I was told that it is best where the water is cold and the water is cold around Miyajima. I dont know whether or not that is true, but it is very good there.
by Lazy Pious (guest)

Yeah that is why seafood is really good in Hokkaido and Toyama and sea of Japan in the north like Hokuriku and Joetsu, because the water is cold in these places. So I think cold water does make seafood taste better and more fresh.
by Marie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Foods which are so much better in Japan 2018/4/16 17:34
Interesting. I've heard about how water source plays an important role in market such as Nishiki, but didn't think it might have connection with seafood.

I dont like to sea the fish being killed and filletted, but it is spectacularly good when it has been done just before you get it.

Yeah, it's conflicting. I had aji sashimi where the fish bone was still twitching when touched, but that's the most fresh fish meat I've ever had. The other one was at a minshuku along Kumano Kodo (Takahara) where they served the fish captured on the day by the landlord.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 24 of 24
prev
1 2

reply to this thread