Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 30 of 30
prev
1 2

Re: Is Tokyo food safe? 2018/6/13 17:13
I'm with Stan Norrell, I always find things move more slowly in Japan than at home in Australia. We usually head to Tsukuji on our first morning and buy some dried fruit (figs and dates for me, apricots for Mr Who?) which do help. You can get dried fruit reasonably priced at some markets/supermarkets. Even with that on board it's generally a low exhaust diet compared to what we are used to.

I don't eat white rice at home, and lost some weight the first time we went to Japan, a combination of struggling with all that rice and the holiday walking. But now I know how to get less rice or avoid it altogether, and find other things (let's face it, most things) I enjoy, so tend to maintain or just lose a little.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo food safe? 2018/6/17 23:24

I have visited Japan many, many times, and never once got sick. However, I have visited NZ twice, and the second visit got very sick from food poisoning ( from supermarket deli) and an emergency injection was needed, cost me $100.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo food safe? 2018/6/18 18:45
Madame! You are lucky to visit Japan, then you will see.
by Giorgione rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo food safe? 2018/6/19 23:36
I want to add to the people saying they gain kilos by going on vacation for weeks. You need to eat (appro) 7700 calories on top of your daily intake of 2000-2500 in order to gain a single kilo. That's an extra 1000 calories extra. Usually when you get back you are indeed a few kilo's heavier, but that's because of water weight. Every carb you eat retains water. It takes a little while for you to lose that weight.

Don't worry about gaining weight. You'll be walking too much to be gaining.
by Carlove rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo food safe? 2018/6/20 07:45
I used to put on a kilo or so when I went to Japan but I figure that was from having a big beer with lunch. nowadays I tend to have a japanese style breakfast (or japanese food from a buffet), have a lighter lunch and limit my beer to dinner time, also not as many snacks during the day and no problems - in fact I usually lose weight while I am there.

I've never had an issue with being sick from the food, though some ramen/udon soup stock is made very tasty by mixing the fat through it, and I can be a little sensitive to fats and oils so on one occasion I had some "urgency".
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo food safe? 2018/6/20 08:52
You gotta love how "will I get sick?" moved to putting on weight from eating too much Japanese food. I wonder if this thread will end up like the "Yokohama Navy Exchange is where"??
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo food safe? 2018/6/20 09:47
Mine is "drinking too much Japanese beer!"
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo food safe? 2018/6/28 03:00
I've been to Tokyo on 3 trips from the US. Never got sick until my last day and got a cold flying back to US. I ate and drank **everything**. Never got sick or had to do a toilet afterwards. Burgers, fugu, konbini sushi, takoyaki at a temple, dept store foods, drank tap water, drank all kinds of booze. Any weight gained is most likely added muscle from all the walking and stair climbing in stations.
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo food safe? 2018/6/29 11:37
Back on the food safety topic:
New Zealand: regular poisoning and and standards, industries known to sell food filled with bacteria (the poultry industry) with no intention of cleaning up their act. Lot of cases, all the time. Chances of getting sick across a whole year in NZ, probably about 1 in 10.
Japan: occasional issues - including the potato salad case from the supermarket deli that made the news, but that is because it is so rare. Some people are intolerant to some of the foods (and call that food poisoning), but it is safe to en eat raw egg/chicken here - I wouldn't even consider doing that in NZ.
Chances of getting sick across a whole year, about one in a million (there are a few hundred cases a year).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo food safe? 2018/7/5 16:57
I don't think there is anywhere safer to eat in the world than Japan.
It's the last place you should worry about getting sick from food.
However, If you're so nervous, you probably should never go to India without therapy :)
by Denis C rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 30 of 30
prev
1 2

reply to this thread