Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 23 of 23
prev
1 2

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/6/29 11:12
Will curry go well with fish? Ifm too afraid to try without opinions from others.
by MarLion rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/6/30 21:55
Will curry go well with fish?
Why not? It's depend on what type of curry and fish you use.

In indian curry or southeast asia, other than meat, fish or seafood are normal.

For Japanese curry, well depend the fish and maybe you need to tweak the curry.
Typical fish such as mackerel(saba), tuna, salmon, cod. Or you can try with seafood such as squid, prawn, clam/oyster etc.

some example:
https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2146954623613414601

https://cookpad.com/search/%E9%AD%9A%20%E3%82%AB%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%...
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Curry ingredients & recipe 2020/11/10 11:06
I am the worst cook ever. Unfortunately for my Japanese family members who are very particular about things tasting delicious, I have to cook for them. They often suffer a lot because of my lack of skills and many mistakes. However, the chicken curry I made last night finally got high praise from them. Rare compliment indeed! I have been working hard over the years on finding tips and tricks to improve my cooking.

Here is how I did it using S&B curry roux (I actually made two batches -- spicy for my husband and me and medium for the rest of the family):

I set the pot on the stove to start boiling the water. While it started to boil, I worked on preparing the other ingredients.

Tip #1: Just before adding the carrots, I put about 2/3rds of the total amount of curry roux into the heated pot and made sure it was thoroughly dissolved. But not the whole amount of roux. This way the flavor would have a long time in which to gradually incorporate into the vegetables while they cooked, but not over-thicken to the point of getting burned on the bottom of the pot.

Tip#2: My husband likes big chunks of carrots and potatoes but small dices of onions, so I made sure to cut each of them the proper size. I started on carrots first since I wanted to cook those the longest. I cut the carrot into big sections, about 5 pieces. Tip #3: Then I got a toothpick/BBQ stick and poked holes all over into the carrot sections. I did this so that it would help the flavor to infuse into the vegetables even more so. Finally I cut them up into bite size chunks. I immediately put them in the pot to get them to start cooking before working on the other ingredients. I kept the heat up high until it came to a boil before lowering it.

Next I started to work on doing the same thing with the potatoes as I had done with the carrots. I also made sure to poke holes in the potatoes with the toothpick. Then I immediately put the potatoes into the pot to get them to start cooking right away. I raised the heat until it came to a boil and then lowered it.

Next I started to cut up the chicken and added it to the pot. These I cut up fairly small.

And last, I started to dice up the onions and then I put them into the pot. Again I raised the heat until it came to a boil and then lowered it.

I started timing the cooking -- once I put in the onions, I would finish about 30 minutes later. I find that potatoes need to be cooked for at least a minimum of 40 minutes and the carrots can be for even longer. Tip#4: But more important than just timing it, it is essential to check to see that the carrots have softened. The carrots I made last night were a melt-in-your-mouth softness, as were the potatoes.

About 5 minutes before it was done, I added the last 1/3rd of the curry roux, brought up the heat and stirred it until it completely dissolved.

*Next time I would probably add garlic to this dish.
*Maybe it's also better to cook the meat so that the scum can be removed.
*I once had vegetable curry at a cafe -- ingredients like bell peppers, asparagus, okra, eggplant, baby corn, green beans -- it was so delicious!
by Menj (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 23 of 23
prev
1 2

reply to this thread