Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

Re: Iwaki & Northern Ibaraki 2021/11/6 18:25
Thanks for the further info everyone.

RE - Modi: I'm not looking at using public transport this time.

RE: Moritetsu: I'm used to people making comments which are not always relevant or are slightly off topic - so it's all good. The comment on theme parks in one of my other threads was from way left field.

RE - Ken: It's odd how many of the locations you have suggested I (A) plan on visiting OR (B) have already visited. Thankfully I've already visited Urubandai and Ouchijuku. The Peony gardens you mentioned somehow managed to make it's way into my list of things before I heard it from you. I've you've suggested it - then it should at least be ok. My new plan is:

Day 1; Iwaki - Daigo
Shiramizu Amidado, Coal & Fossil Museum, Aquamarine, Seizanso, Fukuroda Falls (time dependent), Eihengo Temple (time dependent)/

Day 2: Daigo - Shirakawa
Unganji, Daigoji, Fukushima l Cultural Property Centre, Flower World, Suirakuen, Komine Castle, Komine Castle Museum

Day 3: Shirakawa - Iwaki (slightly shorter day)
Eiji Tsuburaya Museum, Sukagawa Peony Garden, Abukuma Caves

My main problem now is planning for my 3 full days in Tokyo. They are basically 1 day Saitama, 1 day Enoshima and another visiting random stuff. Tokyo honestly has so many museums. I even found a sewerage museum!

by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Iwaki & Northern Ibaraki 2021/11/6 19:57
Hi mfedley, thanks for your feedback. I had thought so and I, too think that information itself is all good, just wanted to remind everyone that nice places in those railway lines are far from Iwaki and Northern Ibaraki, my post itself is off the topic though :-)

I also apologize for dual post (the first one was once delete so I did again..) and for my typo, which should be Ibaraki, not Ibaragi. I do wish you a wonderful time in Japan.
by Moritetsu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iwaki & Northern Ibaraki 2021/11/7 05:26
If you like museums, then yes, Tokyo is sure to please. There are tons of them. I usually don't flock to them, but if that is on your itinerary, I would also be looking at the weather forecast and keep them for the rainy days. I have not been to all the following, but keep a list for just in case. A few I have noted are:
the Tokyo National Museum
the Edo-Tokyo Museum
the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum
the Suntory Museum of Art
the Nezu Museum
Sumida Hokusai Museum
Samurai Museum
the Ancient Orient Museum
the Bank of Japan Currency Museum
the Shitamachi Museum
Mori Art Museum
Tobacco & Salt Museum
Japan Folk Crafts Museum
The National Museum of Western Art
Ukagawa Edo Museum
The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo
Miraikan
Advertising Museum (Odaiba, ads back to the Edo Period)
National Museum of Nature and Science (dinosaur stuff)
Subway Museum (Kasai Stn)
The Japan Police Museum
Tokyo Trick Art Museum
Fire Museum (Yotsuya)
Parasite Museum

A couple I have at the top of my list are the Tokyo Metropolitan Area Underground Flood Control Discharge Area (actually in Katsukabe, Saitama, and maybe strictly speaking not a 'museum'), plus the Shunkaen Bonsai Bijutsukan (Edogawa-ku) for bonsai. It's impossible to say what the "best" is - that all depends on your own personal interests. I myself have little interest, most of the time, in modern art or anime, so the Ghibli Museum or Fujio Doraemon Museum are not on my lists, but I love the TeamLab stuff (yet find it hard to consider as a genuine 'museum' either). A few are for western art, and why I'd fly to Japan for that bewilders me (unless there is some specific painting you are dying to see). For a couple, there are very nice gardens there, and in fact I may be more interested in them than the relics.
So in the end, you need to suit your own interests.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iwaki & Northern Ibaraki 2021/11/7 07:52
Ken,if i buy Tokyo museum grutto pass =2500 yen rekibun,can i visit those without extra charge?

grutto pass valid for 60 days to enter museum =38, Art museum=44,zoo=3,aquari um =1, botanical garden=13,Total=99 facility we can buy april 1st 2021 to january 31.2022
by Aristocrat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iwaki & Northern Ibaraki 2021/11/7 08:06
Japan has yet to fully reopen yet to international tourists - your question may be moot.
But you can see all the places you can use the pass at
https://www.rekibun.or.jp/en/grutto/facilities/
For some places, the pass just gives a discount, not free admission.

Re: Iwaki & Northern Ibaraki 2021/11/7 19:41
Honestly Ken - you are the most evil person when it comes to choosing what to do.

I had a long list of "stuff" to see on 1 day - and then like normal you go "here are 20 other things I know you'll like" and stuff up my plans again :-)

Nah - it's all good. My 1 semi-free day in Tokyo is visiting:

Edo Tokyo Open Air Museum
Edo Tokyo Museum
Sumida Museum
Yasuda Garden
Great Kanto Earthquake Museum
Tobacco & Salt Museum

I might revisit again for 2 weeks in September/October which will give me a couple of more days in Toyko - but that will have to wait for a later date. I won't book that for another 6-9 months and it's a bit of an odd collection of places to visit.

It's Nagoya (3 nights), 1 night Mino, 1 night Gujo-Hachiman, 2 nights Takamatsu, 1 night Iya, 2 nights Shodoshima, 3 nights Tokyo.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Iwaki & Northern Ibaraki 2021/11/8 05:37
Wow, it's my fault Tokyo has so much to offer? ;-)

I just listed a few of my interests, they could be quite different than what you want to see. But if you want to make it the best you can, there is a much better list of places at
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298184-Activities-c49-Tokyo_T...

BTW if you are mentioning the Kyu-Yasuda garden above, I found it to be one of the least interesting of the dozen or so Tokyo gardens I've seen. Your mileage may vary. I know it is close to the action and free. But if you haven't seen them yet, you might consider the Showa Kinen Park (April tulips!), Jindai Botanical Garden, Higo Hosokawa Garden, Hotel New Otani garden, or even the Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa Garden. To be honest though, the 2nd half of April would be my ideal time to be in Japan if I could, and if you're there at the peak of azalea season, I'd stampede straight to the Shiofune Kannonji temple in Ome.
https://bit.ly/3CTxPdb
Again, that's just me.
I hope you choose the ideal itinerary for yourself. I know I've had the experience of finding one of the coolest places I'd love to see, but I discovered it right after I got back home. I would've seen it, and could've seen it, if only I had known about it. What a facepalm and horrible feeling that was.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

reply to this thread