Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 4: Posts 21 - 40 of 64
prev
1 2 3 4
next

average american weight 2006/3/4 12:00
When it comes to American weaights for my heaight I am a medium low average, almost dead average. I have not had problems with Japanese people talking about my weight, and I'm not very tall. But I was wondering If I would be considered fat or almost normal in japanese standards with an average american weight.
by Kendra rate this post as useful

Big is beautiful 2006/8/17 04:10
Big is beautiful in my eyes, but i am also worried about my weight in japan. I am quite a large girl, i am nearly 15 stone. My weight has never bothered me before but i am slightly afraid of what people in japan will think of me - how big is big in japanese standards??
Nina x
by Nina rate this post as useful

How big is big? 2006/8/17 09:45
In answer to your question, almost eveything not stick thin is big to the Japanese. Last week I went for a gym consultation and they told me I'm obese and need to lose 15-20 lbs. I am 5'5'' and 138. I've also gotten a few fat comments, though mostly because when I got here I was overweight (almost 160). You can lose weight fast in Japan with all the walking you'll do!
And as people have said before, comments about weight aren't considered hurtful like they are in the US (to your face, that is. I'm sure people talking behind your back in public is rude no matter what). If someone tells you to go on a diet, or who hasn't seen you in a while tells you 'you got fat', it's not to be rude.
For people worried about clothes, I can usually buy things that fit, though the pants here don't flatter my curvy figure at all.
If you're just coming to visit, don't worry! There are people in all shapes and sizes here, too, and in all likelyhood people will be more looking at your foriegness than your weight. It's mostly things like clothes that become a problem when you're here longterm. :)
by Kate rate this post as useful

Tall and 'different' too 2006/8/17 10:21
Japan sounds as if me being tall, will mean I get looks again. Sigh!!!
Korea is dreadful for being stared at....not only do they stand and literally gape, but they will actually point fingers and giggle too...most disconcerting..and parents will ignore their children acting like this to a stranger..
However, my experience and friends, have told me that Japanese are friendly...and I have indeed found this to be very true whilst travelling...so maybe when they look, a huge smile and a hello....maybe the way to go...thats what I am going to try in Japan........
That does not work in Korea unfortunately, where to ignore and not meet eyes seems to be the better approach.

by Maggi rate this post as useful

Collarbone is the limit 2006/9/15 23:00
Okay, just a little embarrassing. It's not that i'm fat but I just have big boobs. I loved shopping for jeans and skirts in Japan, but make sure you have enough bras cause it's impossible to find one. And it can be quite embarrassing when youfre in a store trying on a vest (of course everyone noticed the foreigner) and you can't get the zipper closed.
I don't think people will give you strange looks or anything, but donft get angry if they quickly stare, you will do the same if you see a Japanese girl with a large chest.
Since most large woman have a large chest, cover up. Japanese woman don't show cleavage so unless you want to everyone to stare at your chest when youfre walking down the street or in conversation cover up.

Sorry if I ruined anything for the men in japan.
by Lala rate this post as useful

men too 2006/9/15 23:39
This is a concern for the fellas too. I'm just a bit overweight (although my doctor here in Tokyo always comments on it), and I can usually buy shirts that fit, but only in a few stores. Pants are also a problem not because of the waist but because of the room in the back (so to speak). The sad thing for me is that I used to buy a lot in Banana Republic, but here they sell Japanese sizes. Recently, I couldn't get a Large-sized shirt over my shoulders (I buy medium at home). I said to the employee "Do I look like an extra-large person to you?" ...he nodded his head with great compassion and said "yes."
by Tom rate this post as useful

thanks, all 2006/9/16 02:57
I am very appreciative that this conversation is happening here. I am about to go to Japan for a couple of weeks on a work-related trip, and am quite round. I have been worrying about this, and find this conversation very reassuring. I am comfortable with how I am, and am used to projecting that. I am gawked at here, so I wouldn't expect any different there.

Anyway, I'm grateful that the question was raised and responded to thoughtfully.
thanks.
by otterly2k rate this post as useful

Ideal Weight 2006/9/17 04:21
Hi everyone,
I'd like to tell you how to calculate your ideal weight.

Your Weight(kg)=height(m) x height(m) x 22

I'm sorry I don't know in lbs.
Let's check it out!
by Tdesu rate this post as useful

Japanese and Fat 2006/10/5 10:33
Hello.

I have lived in Japan for about 1.2 years (am currently still living here) and have lived with a Japanese roomate and had many Japanese friends for an additional 8 months in North America. I would have to say that almost all Japanese people really care about staying thin. I am of asian-decent, a typical small frame, and a BMI of 19.3. Even when I gain a little bit of weight, my Japanese friends all subtly comment on it. I now am even very comfortable to ask them since I'd like to know. Actually I'd like to lose a little weight. Japanese people always talk about gaining/losing weight and they talk openly about other people who have gained/lost weight.

I am in my early 20's, pretty fashionable, and what Japanese people call "motte-ru" (meaning a lot of guys like me, sorry for being vain). I think that is the reason they have seemed to accept me to be one of them (as in Japanese). I think it is pretty hard to actually be accepted into a Japanese group if you are a foreigner. Not only being a foreigner, Japanese people also typically look down on other Asian races. Yes, their comments about what they think about foreigners and other asians bother me, but I have learned to accept it and appreciate their honestly.

Anyways, since I am now in their group, they no longer think of me as a foreigner and I thus have been able to learn exactly how Japanese people think about foreigners etc.

My Japanese friends and I have discussed about how there are many extremely overweight foreigners in Japan. Japanese seem to associate foreigners with being extremely obese, so it is no longer shocking for them to see an overweight foreigner. One of my Japanese friends even said to me in his exact words "When I first met you, I thought that you must not be from North America because you were suprisingly thin."

Anyways, to sum it up, you won't be treated much differently than other foreigners, even if you are overweight. However, you will have an extremely difficult time fitting into the Japanese society (and being treated like a Japanese) if you decide to live here.
by kansai_girl rate this post as useful

Answer to the Big Breasts Question 2006/10/5 10:44
Hello again:

I would say that typically, Japanese people do not have as large breasts as white people. However, even when Japanese girls have larger breasts, they attract attention, especially from other girls. I have some Japanese friends who have larger breasts, and the other Japanese girls will comment on how big they were and they would all grab it and feel it. I was pretty suprised at first to see that, but for them it is very normal. I have seem this happen in two different situations, with completely different people. The Japanese guys were didn't seem to make a big deal about the grabbing action happening, although they were not allowed to join in (hehe).

Anyways, I think that large breasts will be noticed, but usually nothing will happen. Just be careful on packed commuter trains for dirty old Japanese men.
by kansai_girl rate this post as useful

. 2006/10/5 14:52
Tdesu...

That formula for working out ideal weight actually works.
Surprising!

I'm still over weight damn.
by rouge rate this post as useful

..... 2006/10/20 12:12
like Hannah, I plan on going to japan to teach english or be a translater, but i also have big breasts... and I'm tall. But japanese ppls are starting to get taller and bigger in places aswell... so I don't that's a problem. As for being over-weight, I don't that there will be more odd looks, wispers and stuff like that more than america (or canada). I'v seen some over-weight ppl in pictures and stuff.
by nihon-jin ja nai rate this post as useful

'twas my story 2006/10/20 14:08
i was 145 lbs at the age of 15. even back then i was considering how thin japanese are and how i often heard people day things like "big intruding foreigners" i was shocked. Now im 22 and 123 behbeh. BUT! they wont be mean or anything, they are still nice. (well every country has their a'holes but yeah...)
by kasuga rate this post as useful

. 2006/12/4 06:36
sigh..most native japanese ppl r obessesed with being thin. my uncle came to visit us from japan and he commented on how i look too chubby and i should go on a diet because im overweight. i know im not skinny but i didnt think i was overweight. im 5'2 108 lbs. but even if they stare or make comments it will usually not be obvious. i dont even know whats so good about being so skinny...
by masaki rate this post as useful

No worries. 2006/12/4 15:16
Well, I can't say from experience on the overweight thing, but I can tell you about some experiences I've been having in Japan.
I'm from London. I'm quite thin, but aside from that, I couldn't be less Japanese. Long bright red hair, green eyes, about 5'7", and I spoke no Japanese at all upon arrival almost 3 years ago. In the words of my Japanese-American friend, I'm "A poster child for the potato famine."

The first moment I set foot in Japan at the airport, I was stared at. I continue to be stared at this day, but I've also visited America.

I faced more hostility, snide comments and general nastiness in two weeks in New York than I have in 3 years here. If a Japanese person makes a comment about your weight, hair, height, anything, it's almost never maliciously intended. You will attract attention, but you probably don't need to feel hurt about it, because there's rarely any nastiness behind it. All in all, I feel more comfortable about myself and my surroundings here than I ever did in the UK, where I look like everyone else ^_^

One thing I'll tell you is that it is MUCH, MUCH easier to accept the cultural difference and have people accept you if you're young. I came here at 16, and had very little resistance and was quickly accepted by my peers since I was in regular schools here, but my godfather (who's since gone back to England) was treated very coldly, and says that's the general reaction to people who are past 25 or so.

Have fun, and don't let your appearance hold you back. Japan's a wonderful place to live and work!
by Lily rate this post as useful

I'm worried too 2006/12/5 02:05
I'm going to japan in 3 weeks, for the first time, and I'm also very much worried about my weight. I'm 1.63m and 58kg, which is a BMI if 22, and according to doctor, that's my ideal weight. But my japanese friend told me that in japan a girl shouldn't weight more than 50kg.
Also, I wanted to buy lots of clothes when I'll be there, because I like J-fashion, but now I think I won't be able to find anything that fits... I'm not very tall, but I'm curvy and I wear size 8 and medium....
I've been really depressed these days because of that matter. I now that I'm not bad looking, and that I have a cute face, but I'm afraid that japanese ppl will judge me because of how I look. Also, I know that I'll be very hurt if I hear someone comment my weight, because I respect japan and it's culture differences very much, and that it should be the same for them towards my diferrences.
I heard from ppl that went to Japan, that even if ppl ar polite, they are not very tolerent of differences, So they will judge you, think something, but they will not say it.
Living in North america, and being raised to say what I think and always be honest, I think I'll be hurt by their way of acting.
Luckylly I won't be alone, and my friend is going to support me, like I supported her when she was here, but still I can't help but worry.
Sorry for exposing m feling in this very long comment, it's just that I don't know where to ask, since no one arounds me knows of Japan, and thus, doesn't really understand what I'm talking about.

Do you think I'll be okay, that I will be able to buy clothes, and that I will be able to enjoy myself, without having ppl say comment on my appearance?
by Sanaa rate this post as useful

as for weight and J girls... 2006/12/5 07:36
I live near Tokyo...yes, there are some skinny girls, But there are also girls who are slightly overweight and even big girls too (and guys) When I traveled to more rural areas I noticed lots of overweight girls. No one seems to really care except some of the super skinny girls (usually the ones who wear tons of make-up and stilletto heels as well as designer clothes) have made faces when I am out with my sweety...but that could be because I wear very Vis Rock clothing (black +chains and arm warmers,etc). I weigh 64k. I am 163cm. I am not fat...I have rather large...ummm chest (89cm). I am very active physically with many outdoor sports so my weight is more than someone who just sits around being pretty,lol.I also have a large frame so I cannot ever be very tiny. I wear normal off the rack clothes. I do not get bad stares...some guys look at my chest but it is natural. The attention has been all positive. My Dr thinks I am at a good healthy weight and I agree. Do not stress over your weight. Just be cheerful and polite and people will notice the sweet smile and personality! Enjoy your time in Japan!
by rocker girl rate this post as useful

Don't be worried... 2006/12/12 19:26
Sanna
I think youfll be okay in finding something that fits you here in Japan with your size.
There are many Japanese girls with the similar size to yours and youfll not be considered fat at all even in Japan. No worries about possible othersf negative comments on your appearance. Just note that generally, most Japanese clothes shops for young girls would only supply items with quite narrower size variations (usually a few or occasionally, only one), so Ifm afraid it may possibly be harder to find ones fitting you depending on the items or types of fashion....especially if you like skinny styles that are quite popular among young Japanese girls. In fact, I, who may be considered skinny-thin by the American standard, often meet difficulties in finding fit ones because I have larger chest (90 cm) than average Japanese women. But fortunately, as you are coming to here in winter season when they sell a lot of knitted wears, it would be rather easier in your shopping, so you donft need to be so concerned as you do about this problem.
Just have fun during your stay in Japan!
by nihon-jin rate this post as useful

don't worry 2006/12/12 23:11
Sanaa, don't worry about the 50kg thing, most Japanese these days realise that different heights and body types means that not every one should weigh the same. I am quite thin for my height- (175cm, 57kg), and I have trouble buying clothes here sometimes because of my shape- I am bigger in the hips and have more of a waist than most Japanese women. If I do find a skirt or pants that fit me, it is usually a large.

I don't let that bother me, I'm not Japanese so why would I be the same as them? I also have big feet compared to Japanese women- size 8.5- or 25.5cm, and buy most of my shoes when I visit my home country. There, I have average sized feet!

If people stare at you, it won't have anything to do with your weight, especially since you are not actually overweight- it's just the looks that all foreigners get.

In Tokyo these days there are so many foreigners anyway that hardly anyone stares anymore- even the little kids don't look at me twice.
by Mariani rate this post as useful

Thanks to Nihon-jin and Mariani 2006/12/14 01:46
thanks a lot! I feel sooo releaved! I`m going next week, it's really soon!!! I can't wait, and I'll try to enjoy my stay as much as possible without worrying about my weight... like Mariani said: I'm not Japanese so why would I be the same as them? that's totally true, I'm different and that's all!
Thanks nihon-jin; I'll look for knitted wears!
by Sanaa rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 4: Posts 21 - 40 of 64
prev
1 2 3 4
next

reply to this thread