Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 29 of 29
prev
1 2

... 2006/1/11 09:43
''Japanese believe for no reason that has ever been explained to me, that japanese white rice is superior to all other white rice''

Actually, I think this is true too. And humans tend to believe that what is superior within the person's taste is superior to all people in the world. This is just like the French think that French wine is the best, even though a lot of people may prefer Chile wine over French. Any way for sure, Japanese rice is quite ''unique''.
by Uco,Thai rice fan rate this post as useful

. 2006/1/11 10:16
I would say its like New York pizza is the best, but others argue Chicago Pizza is the best and I've seen some heated debates on this.
by john rate this post as useful

Rice, Pizza, etc.. 2006/1/11 23:27
After eating Aamerican rice for 34 years and now eating Japanese rice for 2, my opinion is that Japanese rice is much better tasting. Having a good rice cooker helps too. We brought a new one back from Japan last month & makes much better rice than the old one we had.

As far as pizza, NE Pennsylvania, specifically the Scranton area, has the best pizza by far. Of course my sister is a pizza chef, so that sways my opinion.
I think over all what you grew up with and/or have the fondest memories of will be what you consider "best" of any type of food.
by Carl rate this post as useful

i wouldnt do it. 2008/10/18 06:34
I think it's a bit rude and disrespectful. As for best pizza! New Yorks brick oven pizza is the best I ever tasted. It cooks at around 800-1000 degrees rather than 500 or so. :)
by Greg rate this post as useful

What about Nigiri Sushi? 2008/10/21 00:45
Does the soy sauce and rice etiquette apply to Nigiri as well? At the sushi bars here in the US we are provided with bowls to dip nigirisushi in soy sauce.

side note: A traditional US cuisine rule I break regards Grits. Grits is a cornmeal based porridge. It's a staple of breakfast in the US South. Traditionally you're supposed to add salt, pepper and butter. To the disdain of many a US southerner, I use sugar because I like the taste.
by BWinc rate this post as useful

Nigiri sushi 2008/10/21 02:25
Does the soy sauce and rice etiquette apply to Nigiri as well?
You're really supposed to dip the sashimi on top of the nigiri sushi in the soy sauce and wasabi mixture and not the rice. It is bit difficult to do with chopsticks as it means that you need to turn the sushi, but remember, it is perfectly okay to eat sushi with your fingers.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Now I know 2008/10/23 01:33
Even though the "customer is god". I wish the local wait staff or the itamae would have educated me better :P

http://www.wikihow.com/Practice-Sushi-Etiquette
by BWinc rate this post as useful

no only rice 2008/10/23 03:50
If the OP likes rice mixed up with other foodstuff why not eat Domburi and curry? both are very popular dishes in Japan, that are cheap and found everywhere. If he doesn't like to eat rice all the time why not eat Italian food, Udon dishes, Okonomiyake etc.??
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

About soy sauce on rice 2008/10/25 02:04
First, please understand that soy sauce on white rice is not considered rude or blasphemerous or anything like that, it just looks too miserable. So miserable that decent restaurants could not afford it. As a matter of fact, we have alternatives. White rice and soy sauce *and* either of a raw chicken egg, dried bonito flakes (katsuobushi), farmented small beans (natto), or boiled small fish (shirasu). They are not considered first-class food but acceptable, and probably better than crude rice and soy sauce nutritionally.
by A Japanese rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 29 of 29
prev
1 2

reply to this thread