Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 33 of 33
prev
1 2

Info on Oki 2007/4/12 23:30
Here's some answers I looked up for you. Please email me as i live here as a Gaijin..
1. House price depends on the area..near Naha..$400k+ for a 1800 sq ft house.
Near the Military bases is high too..but only for the G.I.'s. My neighbor just bought his house for $400k and it's a 2 story 1800 sq ft with a nice yard/fence/garden. It's near Camp Foster in Kitanaka.

2. School: there is only ONE approved international school on Oki. All the others are either Japanese only or Christian schools (Zion academy runs about $350 per month k-12)
by Living in Oki rate this post as useful

SS in England 2007/8/20 20:06
SS in England - sorry I never answered your post because I guess I didn't log into this board again. If you're still interested pls leave me your address and I will write you. I will check back, but say "for Steve" in your message title.
Re the last post - that price seems accurate for Naha and probably all dense areas around the bases. It's worth it though. Okinawa is still the best place on earth for a low-stress and pleasant life.
by Steve rate this post as useful

400K?? 2007/9/10 12:26
Hi, i was wondering, i am a person from Australia, and i get the house price of 400K, but is this in yen? or US dollars?, how much in Yen would a house such as this be?
by Aussie guy rate this post as useful

I can't find anything 2008/4/28 04:17
I have searched and searched, and searched again, but I am not able to find any websites that show houses for sale in
Okinawa. They only show rental properties. If anyone can help me i'd appreciate it.
by john rate this post as useful

Okinawa 2008/4/28 13:16
try www.propertyworld.com/_Japan_Okinawa - 47
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Bad link 2008/4/28 14:22
Japan is not even listed as a country to search in.
by Howie rate this post as useful

Okinawa from a gaijin's perspective. 2008/7/6 12:23
Okinawa can be a fun place to live, however it is not without a struggle. My wife is an English teacher and I'm a Veteran turned university student. I'm majoring in psychology. I'm not sure about future employment in my field of study, but I'm OK with that. Just having a degree over here of any kind, is better than nothing. I keep looking at counseling, small scale farming, restaurant/bar, or base employment. People who are moving here should do it with some money, and a well thought plan. Let me make one thing clear. The bases are downsizing and closing in some places, so work there is competitive. Somebody posted that they would work on base... it's not that easy. Schools are difficult too and unlike those your familiar with abroad. Kids are separated, chafe from wheat, and so it creates inequality and stagnation. These are some of the negatives. Much of what others said true. And so my advice is be well prepared. And welcome... We need to build a stronger foreign community here.
by Ryan rate this post as useful

Housing Okinawa 2008/7/6 23:04
I suggest living between Kadena Air Base and Camp Kinser. You can find housing primarily Okinawan with a splatter of Americans. You will most likely do your dining and shopping in areas like American village. If you or your wife obtain employment on base with SOFA status you will be entitled to shop on base for most things, including stateside priced gas. Contact by internet U S Auto Sales, Okinawa. Chico speaks perfect English and purchased a few homes, as a foriegner married to Japanese. He will be able to provide you the information you need in details.
by T-Cap rate this post as useful

Housing Okinawa 2008/7/6 23:18
I've lived in Okinawa 91-92, 96-98, 01-07. No where have I ever received the overall level of customer service and value. Okinawa is safe. I would usually walk about 3 miles every other night. I had a fourth floor apartment, with an unobstructed view, awesome Japanese neighnors, 3 beds, 2 baths, 2 parking spaces, balcony length of apt, pation 19 x 26 feet for about $1,200.00 a month. It had a penthouse feel & was great for entertaining. I suggest initially renting. Pull up the Kadena Air Force Base homepage. The housing office may be willing to send you housing information and some will be available over the web. Rents are 100% negotiable. Do not be shy!! Some realtors will show you old rentals. Insist they only show you unitys less than 7 years old. They are the most energy efficient. A dehumidifier is a must purchase. Buy a Japanese model for the best durability and energy efficiency. Central, Joy, Imagine are a few of the housing agencies, I remember.
by T-Cap rate this post as useful

Okinawan Tidbits 2008/11/13 14:58
I lived Okinawa 91-92, 96-98 & 2001-2007. It is an absolutely great way of life. I would not recommend if you had a daughter. Incidents of teachers taking advantage of teen girls is alarming and frequent. Electricity is high and central air conditioning is near non-exisitent except in commercial/retail businesses. Homes can be found for as little as $125,000.00, but it may be a little old and tucked away or not in the most popular area. Initially home agents show you run down and sometimes smelly housing they haven't been able to move. Insist on a clean and large enough place to live. They have an abundance/excess. DIY is not as cheap compared to US prices. Gasoline is about 25% higher, but fuel efficiency makes up the difference. A good used car can be found for less than $6,000.00 all day. Buy from military leaving a find one for less than $2,000. I advise renting for 6 months to one year. You can learn the areas and make a much more informed and comfortable decision. You will make local non-US friends that will turn you on to the best value homes in ares not so obvious. The politeness, service, food quality and entertainment value wise is almost unbeatable. I lived and travel over 20 countries and still adore Okinawa. Expect your utility bill to run between $50.00 to $200.00 a month depending upon usage. Mildew can be a problem. A dehumidifier is a good idea. A Japanese model is quiete & more efficient. My last apartment was 1,100 square feet, $1,100.00 a month, 4th floor, 2 parking spaces, awesome unobstructed view, balcony and 19 x 26 foot concrete patio, 12 sliding glas door windows, 8 in living room alone. It had a penthouse feel. You can teach English in the schools and provide private lessons. Working on base is not so difficult or easy. You should apply everywhere commisaries, base exchanges, NAF, contractors. Some advertise Japanupdate.com. I'm 48 and I found plenty of places to dine and entertain for any budget, style and age. I would walk for exercise any time of day or night without incident or fear. Okinawa is the safest place I've ever visited or lived. Chico at U S auto sales has bought atleast 3 homes and been there for at least 10 years.
by Tommy rate this post as useful

How about property tax ? 2009/1/22 04:02
Anybody have any ideal ?

1.how much ?

2.if rent to someone, do I need pay Japan income tax ?

3.How much ?
by Steve (guest) rate this post as useful

Okinawa 2009/3/28 23:18
Im thinking of getting a house in Okinawa with my fiancee, and was wondering where in Naha is most populated with foreigners. As previously stated " we need to grow a stronger foreign community ". So if anyone can help me on that, Thank you.
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

okinawa 2009/3/29 06:46
I get the feeling that Okinawa is like many places in the world. The best places are either way too expensive or in such remote area even basic shopping is a challenging expedition and of course in a remote place you can't find a job unless you can do it by computer..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 33 of 33
prev
1 2

reply to this thread