Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 35 of 35
prev
1 2

I was talking about train stations... 2007/10/25 09:08
cc, I agree with John that you are missing my point, which is that TRAIN STATION toilets, and only train station toilets, tend to be squat style, with perhaps one Western style one at the end of the row.

I am totally in agreement with you that elsewhere Western style toilets are the norm. In most department stores, public buildings etc., sit down toilets dominate. This is still not the case for train stations, and also toilets in public parks in my experience.

I actually doubted myself yesterday and I had to take the subway all over Tokyo for various appointments so for the sake of accuracy I decided to check, and sure enough, I can report that at the stations I visited (on the Marunouchi Line, Hanzoumon Line, Shinjuku Line and Ginza Line) all followed the pattern I described above- either all washiki, or one youshiki at the end of a line of washiki.

I may not have been born in Japan, but that doesn't make me wrong about this. Anyway you seem to be offended by the suggestion that squat toilets are still common, but the truth is there is nothing wrong with Japanese-style toilets- I don't mind which type I use.

And the only person who suggested Japanese toilets didn't have walls was the original questioner, and everyone then said that that was totally wrong.

Anyway, I have spent enough time thinking about toilets! On to other things ;-)
by Sira rate this post as useful

to you all bens 2007/10/25 11:13
Also it is important to point out that these squat toilets are flushable and not something with a hole in the ground.
by cc rate this post as useful

too much 2007/10/25 12:07
No one said that, cc. I think you are takng this a little too personally.
by Tilt rate this post as useful

nice ones... 2007/10/25 15:47
Ok, I agree - most are Japanese style all over Tokyo. If you have to get to a nice one for free Western Style, one's in TOkyo Underground Mall on the Yaseu side (that long T-shaped part of the mall). Nice, with all of the modern auto-spray features you can ask for, and it really looks more like a hotel bathroom than a mall bathroom.

by d=) rate this post as useful

liem 2007/10/25 20:02
liem,where is your post?
by hodad rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/25 23:55
Before the this thread gets too out of hand and is locked lets remember that the original poster was asking whether or not toilets have walls and are private. The question has been answered. Yes they do.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

one more q. regarding this 2008/1/10 20:19
so i'm a girl and just a thought came to mind: if there is a chance of not having a TP in the restroom, then is there a trash-can where you get rid of used girl-stuff? or where do you put it alternatively?
by traveller_gal rate this post as useful

toilet things 2008/1/10 21:09
I have never encountered a Japanese toilet, of any style, that didn't have TP, other than when it ran out before I got there - in which case there was still a holder to show me their intentions were good.
And there has always been a very small convenient waste-container for any items that don't flush.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

toilets again 2008/1/10 21:19
These days the only places I come across without toilet paper are the public toilets in parks. Back when I first came to Japan train station toilets often didn't have paper but they all seem to now.

There is always a small trash can, in my experience anyway.

TP & Soap 2008/1/11 00:43
Frankly, I love that the stall walls and door go all the way to the floor. In the US, there are gaps between the door and the stall wall and about 12 inches of space between the floor and door.

I'd check for toilet paper, hand soap and towels because that's what you're not likely to find.
by aurora rate this post as useful

Oops! Forgot 2008/1/11 00:49
I love that there are toilets everywhere in Japan. And when I'm there, I'll use any toilet anywhere - park, subway, train station. ANYWHERE! Mind you, I live in New York City and there are but a handful of toilets I am willing to use outside of my home and work, and they are all in department stores. I've never even been in a toilet in our subways, and will soon enough wet my pants before I use any.

Oh, and most of the toilets I've seen in the subways in Japan are not western toilets. There may be a lone one at the end, but the majority are the ones in the floor.
by aurora rate this post as useful

Toilets 2008/1/11 01:33
I've used the toilets at many different train stations and they've all been attached to the wall. I've never seen one on the floor!
by Hans rate this post as useful

Toilets 2008/1/11 07:15
This is so much fun..Another post where we can't get a consensus..anyway..being born in Europe I used squat toilets there when I was a kid and they were horrible!. The Japanese ones are much more practical once you get the hang of it (just Google "using Japanese squat toilets"?) anyways ..I have found western toilets and even Japanese toilets with a bidet device in big department stores and most luxury hotels. Wherever I travel (even in China..) I look for a fancy hotel and/or department store..as for toilet paper yes you have to bring some..usually I am lucky in Japan and get lots of free packages of tissue paper in the street.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

??? 2008/1/11 08:11
I wonder where Hans has been travelling. As discussed further up in this thread a while ago, the norm at train stations in the Tokyo area at least is Japanese style, i.e. squat toilets. How he can have missed that I have no idea. Or perhaps it's different in the guys' toilets?

... 2008/1/11 08:30
Squat toilets without a doubt make up the vast majority of toilets at train stations. Even newly built toilets, such as the ones in Shinjuku Station, feature squat toilets in combination with Western style toilets.

As for toilet paper, the situation changed drastically over the last ten years. Nowadays it is difficult to encounter any public toilet without paper, at least in the Kanto region.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 35 of 35
prev
1 2

reply to this thread