Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 29 of 29
prev
1 2

SOFA 2009/7/13 14:21
So, you entered Japan and got a sofa stamp on your passport because you are a dependent. My question is, how does the military find out who's here or not? I mean, if SOFA is so special, don't they have accountability of everyone. For example: you come into the country, get a sofa stamp, the guy who put the stamp on your passport like shoot an e-mail to the military and say hay yawl she's here??? Anyone chime in . I'm curious?
by Katrina (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/13 16:37
For example: you come into the country, get a sofa stamp, the guy who put the stamp on your passport like shoot an e-mail to the military and say hay yawl she's here???

The guy who gives out sofa stamps in the passport is a military member. Japanese immigrations don't give out sofa stamps; likewise, military immigrations don't give out tourist stamps.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

sofa stamp 2009/7/31 17:55
i actually wonder how that works bc im trying to do the same for my wife. but to correct the last post, japan immigration does handle the sofa stamp in your passport. but how you obtain sofa status as a dependent i dont know. i do know u dont have to be command sponsored to get it. If anyone knows how to get SOFA status/stamp for a dependent thats not command sponsord please post so i will know- thanks
by brian (guest) rate this post as useful

Hope this helps 2009/10/8 10:18
I am also trying to get my wife to Misawa, Japan. I can tell you for a FACT that immigration is the place that puts a SOFA stamp in the passport. Being protected under SOFA and being sponsored are two completely different things. SOFA status is immediately granted to servicemembers and their dependants regardless of sponsorship. Sponsorship is granted via the servicemember's commander through a long request process. My issue? I'm E-2 attempting to bring my wife here, if anyone was wondering. And yes, Joan was right by saying you can stay as a tourist for 90 days, after which you will need to leave the country for at least one day before you can come back for another 90, however that becomes quite expensive, time consuming, and more paperwork. I hope that I helped at least a little.
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

hope this helps 2009/11/18 17:38
Im in Yokosuka now and previously been here through a japanese working visa. Visa will soon expire so I wanted to avail the SOFA status. I personally inquired at the PSD of the base and they were very helpful and did not give any penalty of extra duty day to my husband. The PSD instructed me to get my husband to ask for the Letter of Dependency from his command with me listed as his dependent. (Pls take note that your husband has updated his page 2 record on DEERS). Then the people at the PSD doing the stamps for passporting/reentry permits will put a stamp on this Letter of Dependecy as to the duration of your husband's military order. You will then be instructed to go to Yokohama Immigration Office to show your passport and the stamped Letter of Dependency and your passport will be stamped for SOFA. Im not command sponsored either and this has nothing to do with SOFA status or getting BAH & COLA. Take note that The housing allowance is not guaranteed for E3 and below even if married.

So if you are coming to Japan on tourist visa, you can go through the change of visa status process as I have described above. Hope this helps.
by Kriss (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/4/5 20:20
I was just wondering, what is Oversees Screening, and what does it consist of? do all the non-american citizens who are going to marry someone from US uniformed forces need to go through? can anyone provide some particularities, please?
by Jody (guest) rate this post as useful

Sofa stamp 2010/6/17 00:18
I got it from japanese immigration,my husband shown it to his command and the command issued a letter which is letter of dependency stated that we are supported by the command but only 50%,coz were not command sponsored..we went to psd and show them the letter and they gave us re-entry/exit permit..til my husband will be here in yoko,I even got the chance to work on base..have medical care onbase,housing and utilities offbase,and dual cola for me and hubby..I guess I got lucky..but now I have my command sponsorship..my husband is an e3 when I got here but he got promoted tho.
by Nicole (guest) rate this post as useful

Sofa stamp 2010/6/17 00:25
FYI guys one more thing SOFA stamp is the square stamp given by the japanese immigration and exit reentry stamp is granted by psd..so u better have both to be sofa sponsored...I entered japan with tourist visa...I just showed them my military Id card..if u have questions just email me i'll be happy to answer questions xxxx@yahoo.com
by Nicole (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a Visa and SOFA? 2013/2/16 19:19
From my own experience: The "Entered Japan on SOFA status" stamp they give at the airport is pretty much given out to anyone with a military ID. It's easier, paperwork-wise, for the immigration inspector, so they like doing that instead of giving you a tourist visa. I found this out when coming here on a vacation trip while stationed elsewhere and had not shown them any orders.

Also, command sponsorship is not a requirement for housing/medical care/etc. It's basically a pre-approval GUARANTEE that you will get it and each base has a certain amount of command-sponsor billets to give out at a time, based on school availability, hospital size, etc. Not being command-sponsored just means that you are on space-available basis and can possibly be denied a house or enrollment of your kids at school if they don't have space for you.
by Ron (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 29 of 29
prev
1 2

reply to this thread