Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

Re: Use of domo/arigato 2013/6/10 23:22
ajapaneseboy

Yes maybe I should.

I thought urusai is "Be quiet"? How about Urusei?

どもう。けどときどき私の彼氏はかんちがいです。
頭は痛いですよ!私は想ってはやくべんきょ日本語、だからかれしはもっと解る。

ごめんね、日本語はわるいです。けど練習はがんばるです!恥ずかしいです。

(Thanks. But sometimes my bf misunderstands. It gives me a headache! I want to learn Japanese fast, so I can understand my bf better.

Sorry, my Japanese is bad. But I will work hard at practicing! It is embarrassing.)

by bebegurl rate this post as useful

Re: Use of domo/arigato 2013/6/11 07:36
Uruai is an adjective meaning 'noisy' but it can be used when you want to say 'shut up!' - when someone is really noisy or more often when you do not want to hear the person. Yes, it is not polite at all, can be quite rude.
Urusei is worse than urusai, it is a way man sometimes say urusai.
If you want to pick up a fight with your bf, you can say 'urusai' meaning 'shut up( and 'I dont want to hear you'.
If your bf is making too much noise or something and you want him to be less noisy or quiet, you should ask him 'shizuka ni shite'.

'Arigatou' is a casual way to say 'thanks' and 'doumo' is just like saying 'ta'. You should be careful using the latter, it can offend people depending on the situation, it can be friendly but not polite enough.
by magonote (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use of domo/arigato 2013/6/11 17:04
Thanks. But sometimes my bf misunderstands. It gives me a headache! I want to learn Japanese fast, so I can understand my bf better.

The following is my suggestion for saying the above.

ありがとう。でも、ときどき私の彼氏はかんちがいをします。
頭が痛くなります!日本語をはやくおぼえて、彼氏をもっとわかるようになりたいです。

- In this kind of forum, I would use "arigato." "Doumo" is a very light acknowledgement...
- "kanchigai" is something you do, so you say "kanchigai wo shimasu."
- "My head hurts (in these situations where your boyfriend misunderstands)," so you would want to say "my head becomes painful." "itai desu" becomes "itaku narimasu."
- "benkyo suru/shimasu" is to "study," but you want to "learn/master" it fast, right? then "oboeru/oboemasu" would be the right word.

- "kareshi wo motto wakaru/wakarimasu" = to understand my boyfriend better
"kareshi wo motto wakaru you ni naru/narimasu" = to become able to understand my BF better
"kareshi wo motto wakaru you ni naritai desu." = I want to become...

Be careful when you pick up expressions from anime, they are full of colloquial expressions and at times rough expressions to depict the characters as tough guys...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Use of domo/arigato 2013/6/11 20:24
MagonoteとAK, ありがとうございました。:)

I have a better understand of how to write and phrase the sentences. If I cannot even phrase a standard conversation properly, I will have more difficulty progressing in future.

I suppose speaking and writing Japanese are different? You may write in a way but speaking wise, maybe it's another way?

Other than watching Japanese shows, I'm trying to read the manga that I bought from Japan. It seems that some dialogues are repeating themselves? Like the characters are asking the same thing but rephrasing them? I understand abit only and it seems like they have a lot of sex scenes.

Anyone has any recommendations on good Japanese language books to buy from Kinokuniya? They have tonnes and I'm quite confused.

Re: Use of domo/arigato 2013/6/11 22:16
Do you have a grammar book? If not, be it "Genki" series or "Japanese for Busy People," please buy one as reference. Not a phrase book, but a structured textbook.

Spoken Japanese in dramas (and colloquial printed dialogues as they appear in manga) can be quite exaggerated for emphasis or chopped up into short bits, that they might not make sense unless you know how they were constructed (then abbreviated). So it would be better to start off on a course textbook to really learn the sentence structures :) Enjoy learning!

Re: Use of domo/arigato 2013/6/12 09:57
AK

Can I have the titles in Hiragana/Romanji?

I intend to pop by the outlet in Japan because it's much cheaper. :)

Re: Use of domo/arigato 2013/6/12 10:50
Well, "Japanese for Busy People" comes as I wrote it in English, because it is intended for English speakers :) This means it comes with grammar notes in English, so it helps you to read up by yourself.

I know another one that is called 新日本語の基礎 (Shin Nihongo no Kiso, or しんにほんごのきそ) series, which I find good as classroom textbook, but I do not have one with me right now, and do not remember if the explanations were in English or not.

"Genki" is this one -
http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/

I have not used it in class myself, but the name has been mentioned by quite many people here on this forum.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

reply to this thread