Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 204 of 233: Posts 4061 - 4080 of 4651
prev
1 ... 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 ... 233
next

our dog - Prissy 2017/4/29 10:36
When we went to Yokosuka in 1975 we had a Yorkshire named Prissy. She had to be quarantined when we first went there.

Every fall the Seahawks football team played a schedule. We used to take Prissy and watch the home games. After a while she would bark whenever the Seahawks made a touchdown. Only when the Seahawks scored - never the other team.

She became known to many people as the dog who barked whenever the Seahawks scored.
by Richard Olson (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks again, Kaoru 2017/5/6 02:14
Those are interesting links. I think the last time I looked at the Hayama town web page (maybe four years ago or so) there was no translate-to-English option. It is amusing that some things are translated, such as "One Color Beach". (Of course I knew "Isshiki" translated to "one color" but still that will be puzzling to anyone who is looking for "Isshiki Beach" on the English page.)

The satellite map is much easier to follow than Google Earth, which I had been attempting to use to orient myself. I see the route numbers, too. I see that Route 134 and part of Route 311 is the road from Zushi I was familiar with. I think that the part of 311 going east from just south of the first tunnel (that seems to turn into Zu-Yo toll road) is new since my time. That area between the tunnels was just open country 55 years ago because there was a sort of Also, I think Route 27 that crosses the peninsula north of my old neighborhood is the road that was being constructed, beginning just at the end of my time in Hayama. And the Yokohama-Yokosuka toll road is completely new to me. I never saw any toll road in Japan in the 1960s (and I drove from Kanagawa-ken to Nagasaki-ken). Route 207 is confusing on this map since it seems to be both the coastal highway and also the number assigned to a spur that connects to 134.

Anyway, the main thing is I am happy to re-learn the name of the mountain, Ominesan. One last question for you, Kaoru. :) I see the "Ou" and the "San" (first and last characters of the name) but I cannot parse out the character for "Mine". So it is "Big - [what?] - Mountain" ? I just can't see the character for "Mine" clearly to count the strokes or look it up.

Thanks again for your help, not only with this question but with all the many instances of assistance you have provided throughout this thread that were addressed to others, but were of interest to anybody who read them. (Certainly to me.)

by wata geiru rate this post as useful

wata geiru-aan 2017/5/8 13:02
The link of Hayama is a little unkind. Please click "‰pŒê" from the language in the upper right, it'll be English transcription by that.

Yes, Ominesan writes "‘å•ôŽR" in Chinese character. Ou is meaning big, Mine "•ô" is the perk and San is a mountain as you say. I've not been to this mountain yet, maybe this has good hiking course.

Japanese consecutive holidays, Golden Week has ended. The weather of Yokohama was very fine. It's also hot today, here is around 80 degrees.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Kaoru-san 2017/5/9 23:11
Thank you. That is interesting. "Big Peak"--it is a sort of generic name for a mountain. I won't forget again.

When I inquired of my neighbors and neighborhood friends (long ago), I was told there was no way up the mountain. I recall that it was very densely forested and it still seems to be so, judging by views in Google Earth.
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/5/17 11:04
I lived there from 1967-1970 when I was in kindergarten to second grade. Lived up that steep hill and part way down the other side from YoHi in Bayside. The PX and commissary complex were on D Ave. I remember the tunnel on D Ave going towards Motamochi (sp?) St. We stayed in the Hotel Astor when we first arrived in Japan and then lived in a private rental for about a year. I went to Lighthouse and Byrd.
by scott odom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/5/17 22:21
Hi Scott

The shopping street you refer to was [and is] called Motomachi. When we first arrived in Japan we had an apartment accross the canal near Chinatown, later we moved to Medorigaoka.

My wife taught at the lighthouse school during that time. Her name was Mary Ann Saunders. Perhaps you had her as a teacher.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Negishi Heights Housing 2017/5/18 00:40
Scott:
Welcome to JG Forum.
We left the Sannotani neighborhood on Avenuie D in 1961.
I was 13 years old.

Did you fly in to Japan or via MSTS ship ?

Cheers.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Otsu in 1950 2017/5/26 11:10
When I returned to Korea after my wounds had healed, I was placed on a replacement draft and we boarded a navy ship in Kobe. The sailors on the ship were mad. They were supposed to be going back to the states, but here were these Marines who were going back to Korea. We were on the ship about 2 hours and the PA announced " all Marines fall in topside with your gear." We were marched off the ship.

They had made a mistake in Otsu and put us on the wrong ship. That one was going back to the states. Another few hours and we would have been on our way home.

Instead we went back to Otsu and the next day we went aboard an Army MSTS ship. The general something. I wasn't impressed enough to remember the name. Everyone knows that a pfc in the Marine Corps is a higher rank than a general in the Army.

Old movies 2017/5/27 12:07
Hello everyone,

Yokohama is sunny and little hot Saturday, rainy season will be soon.
The movies are old commercial of Pepsi Cola, Yokohama Sankeien Garden in 1970s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxasPTb2TVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIE869rathE

Cheers

Mistake 2017/5/27 12:51
I mistook link of Sankeien Garden. This clip is "From Yokohama to Tokyo in 1958" And pictures of Yokohama 1960s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t51EsJewfuQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jePDuaJOr6I&t=92s

Nakano 2017/5/28 11:27
When I was in Yokosuka in the late 70s I had a Japanese chief named Nakano.

He told me about his experience during the war. Nakano was going to submarine school in Saporro. They graduated a class every week. Nakano said he became very nervous because every week the graduates put out for points unknown and he noticed they never came back. I was only two weeks away from graduation when the war ended he said.

He later went to Seattle and learned to read and write English and then returned and went to work on the Yokosuka fire department.

In my opinion he was a better chief than I was.

Memorial Day 2017/5/28 23:34
Wife and i drove up to Mystic Highland Cemetery this week to decorate graves of family members long passed. My mom and dad rest at Highland. Mom worked for the Army recruiting office at the state fairgrounds in Des Moines during the war. Dad was a civilian pilot, flying the Hump in the China-Burma-India Campaign. Dad passed at age 60 in '66. Mom left us in 2011 at age 91.

They truly were part of the Greatest Generation.
We'll not see their like again.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/7/1 01:27
Greetings - so great to see this forum continue. I've learned a lot through the years reading the various post.

Back in 2006 (page 10), I posted an inquiry about my wife who's 1/2 Japanese, born in Yokohama in 1959. Was looking for any info re her adopted father and possibly a connection with her mother. Wanted to say thanks to Eric, Uco, and Efrain Castro for the info they provided. Was able to quasi connect with my wife's adopted father, Arthur W. Carpenter (thru Efrain) a few years back. Found out Arthur worked 59 years at the 599th Transportation Group Ocean Cargo Clearance Authority - Yokohama North Dock. And recently connected via letter/email with my wife's mother (Emiko) who lives in Yokosuka. We're planning a trip early Aug to meet her after 58 years. So many question as to how long, where to stay, how to get around - we know those will all be answered but again wanted to say THANK YOU to you all for letting me jump in on this forum and the help and direction I received. Jon C. Good
by Jon Good (guest) rate this post as useful

Hey, John G; 2017/7/2 22:41
I've long considered a return visit to Japan but so much has changed since '61 that I might as well pick something new. My local elementary and high school named Yo-Hi, Nasugbu Beach and finally Nile C. Kinnick is gone, wiped from the history books except for a few hardy souls who hold reunions each year. I was informed the YO-HI Class of '67 will hold their 50th this fall.
I'm planning to participate in another class reunion (class of '67) in the small Iowa town where we returned finally.
In an earlier time, I would've liked to reconnect with Sase-san, our neighbhood policeman who more or less became my adopted uncle, keeping me out of trouble and rescuing me when I "stepped in it." (See my earlier post on the fire department grease pit incident.)
Through happenstance, I did connect with his son via emails. We trade pictures from that era from time to time.

Karuizawa Fiction 2017/8/23 14:27
It looks like everyone else here, including me, has been on summer vacation. I read a fascinating book at the beach several weeks ago that I want to share. The Diplomat's Daughter by Karin Tanabe. It is a fictional story about a young Japanese woman's experiences from right before until right after WW II. You can find better reviews on-line than I could write but I will tell you that the story ends in Karuizawa where Steffi, who has posted her experiences here, lived during WWII. Some of you here may recall that Francis Tanabe, Karin's father, has posted here.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/8/23 19:48
Asian tensions have not ended yet. And terrorism...

Japanese Government seems to have decided about substantial increase of defense budget. I guess the self defense is important.

I saw Steffi-san and her family stayed in Kaoruizawa at hot summer in this thread before. Many shops and restaurants are there now. And a lot of young people seem to be visiting the summer holidays. John Lennon and Yoko Ono loved Kaoruizawa, and they were often staying.
by Kaoru S. (guest) rate this post as useful

Karuizawa 2017/8/24 01:06
I made a mistake "Karuizawa", Œyˆä‘ò is right, sorry to everyone.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/8/24 07:32
Hey
I like the sound of this better...

KAORUSAMAZAWASHI..

This would mean, The noble city of fragrances.
Howm I doing ?

I have been reading up on the two Japanese ''holdouts'' one in Guam. very remarkable stories of courage, resourcefulness and survival skills. I think I would last about 4 hours before the bugs at me alive. And..what no ice ! Makes these ''TV survival ''look pretty lame.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Battle flag 2017/8/24 08:01
Passed down to me from various relatives years ago was a Japanese battle flag with the names of the soldiers printed along side the Rising Sun. A dozen young men had signed the banner somewhere in the Pacific and most, if not all probably never returned home.
I gave the flag to my son, Jeremy in Seattle and forgot about it.

Then recently, a 90 plus year old American Marine made news by returning a similar flag to Japan via the Obon Society of Astoria, Oregon. Obon is a non profit group dedicated to gathering and returning WW II trophies brought back by surviving American veterans.

This struck both my son and I as something that we should also do.

I don't know if it's possible to post a picture of the flag but it will be repatriated via Obon before the end of the year.

Karuizawa and Battle flag 2017/8/24 09:16
Konnichiwa all,

I'm thankful for your support.

My dad was drafted to the imperial army the end of the Pacific War. He was assigned to a communication unit of Sagamihara, therefore he never pulled the gun trigger. Maybe dad had a battle flag, too. He had the end of the war one week before when he battle to Okinawa.

Links are old and now in Karuizawa, Obon society

http://karuizawa-ginza.org/history/
https://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/regional/nagano/karuizawa.html
http://obonsociety.org/

Kaoru
by Kaoru S. (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 204 of 233: Posts 4061 - 4080 of 4651
prev
1 ... 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 ... 233
next

reply to this thread