Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 206 of 233: Posts 4101 - 4120 of 4652
prev
1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... 233
next

Addition.... 2017/11/20 00:26
I should have clarified that this film is on You Tube, as was the film clip sent by Kaoru......
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/11/20 01:20
wata geiru
You are probably thinking of Hiroo Onoda. The famed Japanese holdout.
There was a movie, about a troop of soldiers on Saipan. Its on you tube, Ill find it for you. Not a great movie but true to history.

You should look at ''Final Stragglers" online. It is a good overview, including a complete list.
This includes the story of Teruo Nakamura. Who held out something like 60 years, surpassing Onoda.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/11/20 01:39
The film you might be looking for is called ''Battle of the Pacific" on you tube.
I started it again, perhaps is is not as corney as I had thought. However the portrayal of some of the American officers is a little sterio-typically predictable. Its worth an hour or so, especially if you are an efficianado of the period.

Hold out 2017/11/21 03:56
I thought the last Japanese soldier holdout was in the Philippines...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Last soldier 2017/11/21 06:59
Yes, Second Lt. Hiroo Onoda,

He was a member of Intelligence agency "Nakano School" in Imperial Japanese Army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakano_School

by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Steffi san 2017/11/21 10:17
Anytime. I think NYC is colder than Yokohama, please take warm.

Fukushima.... 2017/11/21 11:07
Hi Kaoru-san and everyone....

Weather here I believe is similar in winter to Yokohama.....currently 44 F or about 7 degrees Celsius, at 9PM.....temp goes up or down by 5 to 10 degrees....

Just learned that Fukushima engineers, using small robots, were just finally able to locate the uranium fuel that had melted through one of the the plant's ruined reactors......very good news. The "mini-manbo" was made of radiation-hardened materials and had sensors to avoid the hottest spots. The thing worked a bit like a drone....
They can now begin to figure out how to secure the material......a job that will take many years, probably....

Happy Thanksgiving 2017/11/23 11:55
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! It's good to see all of the recent postings.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Reckless 2017/11/29 20:32
New ICBM fell down the northern part of Japanese EEZ again. I'm worried about collision to airplanes and ships. Or if the control is bad, hits to another territory. A young leader is sacrifices the general nation and launches dangerous fireworks.The people there are very hungry and disappearing.@

What do you think, everyone?

Hold out 2017/12/1 01:04
Kim is probably using rocketry to rally his population.
China and Russia won't lift a finger.

I wonder the results if the boat loads of Chinese products might be embargoed for a few months off the California coast. America might finally get their attention.

As most observers have concluded, nothing happens in NK without China's tacit approval.

Sankeien Garden 2017/12/16 22:13
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

This short movie is early winter in Sankeien Garden. There is a distance of around 25 minutes from my house by car and I go there often.This week's Yokohama is fine, New years bell will be rung at neighborhood of the temples.

I hope that everyone will be a good new year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsXaTRWFzCs

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/12/17 00:54
Sankeien Garden Was one of my most fond memories.

With the crowds in Japan it was hard to get any personal time. That I crave.

So one late summer day I went there alone and walked around, I found a small hill way off on the edge of the property, and off the path. I climbed this little hill and at the top was a grove of bamboo trees and a carpet of leaves, I lay down and fell asleep, looking up at the swaying bamboo in the gentle warm breeze. I slept for about an hour or more, I neither knew or cared. I was a wonderful experience that I remember vividly to this day. The peace and calm and privacy was lovely.

Walking around the grounds I thought how wonderful it would be if Sankeien was my private home, and I made some mental notes of the layout and design , prehaps..whenever...

This was a nice Christmas gift from a special friend. Wonderful..

Gardens 2017/12/19 01:50
Our Sannotani house was 15 minutes by bicycle from Sankeien Garden. It was a place I visited often.
Before the oil refinery and auto plant were built in the bay in front of Sankeien, my Japanese buddies and I would climb down the sandstone cliff to the seashore to hunt for crab in the incoming tide.
An old Japanese man rented fishing boats for 100 yen ($.25 at the time) and I took advantage of this many times.
I brought my haul of crab on to the shore and shared them with the other kids at a beachfront fire. They spoke no English and my Nihon was limited but we both knew what we liked.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/12/19 04:40

It is nice to hear how we all were so profoundly affected by our lovely experiences of Japan. Even though my own years there were largely related to wartime and the Occupation afterwards, Japan is such a child-friendly place that I would definitely consider my childhood to have been extremely happy. For one thing, abuse or harming children in Japan was non-existent and we were all safe, so even as a very young child of 4 and 5, I had complete freedom to explore, run around, and be independant...........I feel sorry for many of today's kids, who are closely monitored until their teens........they're missing a lot of fun.

Eric, I continue to marvel at the precision of your memory. As people say to me.......Unless you have already done so, you should write everything down regarding your family and your own very interesting experiences in Japan, and as a child of a military man. You have a lot to draw on........your children and grand-children will be very interested.

If anyone has Netflix and is interested in current Japanese eating ........there is a rather silly series there called "I'll have what Phil is having".....the first episode takes place in Tokyo.....it is about food, restaurants, etc.

Sending my best wishes to everyone for a very Merry Christmas, and a happy and healthy and peaceful New Year.....

Regards,
Steffi

Re: Sankeien Garden 2017/12/27 15:14
Kaoru,
Thank you for the beautiful video.
All,
Best wishes for the new year.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/12/28 07:59
I lived in Negishi Heights in Area X in 1957-58 and went to 3rd & 4th grades at Negishi Heights Elementary School - later renamed Bryd Elementary. I've enjoyed reading many of these posts. They bring back a lot of memories.

I remember we had a maid named Yasuko Kitamura (not sure of spelling) and she lived in the maid dormitory there. My parents kept in touch with her once we returned stateside. They are deceased now and unfortunately I can't find any contact info they had for her.

Does anyone know of a way to find out if she is still living and how to locate her? Did the Navy keep an employment registry of Japanese maids?
by Warren (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/12/30 11:19
Hello Warren,

My mom was a baby sitter of the Japanese branch manager family of Caltex in 1950s. And she got married to my dad was working at the Yamate police station then. Eric san had miracle. He remembered a family name of my dad for that, so he found dad in Kanagawa Prefectural Police head office.

Department in charge is Ministry of Defense.

Good luck

Happy New Year JG posters 2018/1/2 00:42
Best wishes for the new year.
Very cold in Missouri this first day of 2018.
-6 F degrees.

From my window I can see the Lake of the Ozarks steaming. Water in the lake is 41 F.
I expect ice in the coming days.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2018/1/6 12:02
This is a valuable movie just after the end of the war. I think it was shot by the US army. And MacArthur in Yokohama New Grand Hotel, GHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kezA-ugAnw4&list=PLBG_1Y6lr914r4TTdgcv...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrRS3-ekl08&index=114&list=PLBG_1Y6lr9...

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2018/1/8 01:17
Kauri...
Thank you for the videos...especially for the one of McArthur. I never saw him in person, except along with hundreds of thousands of others at his Fifth Avenue victory parade in NYC , when he returned after having been fired by Truman, I believe....

We had 10 inches of heavy snow here, and now it is 5 degrees Fahrenheit.....this may not sound terrible, but snow is a major inconvenience here in NYC, especially in Manhattan, as we literally have no room for it. It has to be swept aside, then picked up and carted away to make room for cars and pedestrians.....we are a city of walkers, and lots of vehicles....more all the time, in spite of efforts to encourage biking. Warmer tomorrow.......

Best,
Steffi

Page 206 of 233: Posts 4101 - 4120 of 4652
prev
1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... 233
next

reply to this thread