Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 211 of 233: Posts 4201 - 4220 of 4652
prev
1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 ... 233
next

Negishi horse racing track 2019/3/17 23:07
The race track ruins still stand on a hillside in this Yokohama community. It was built in 1929 after a major earthquake destroyed an earlier track in 1923.
Three tall colums can still be seen at Negishi although mostly covered in ivy. The columns contained elevators and stairways for horse race fans. The middle column contained a special viewing area for VIPs...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/3/19 10:10
Hi everyone,

On a different topic, I was just reading a very interesting and beautifully researched obituary in the Washington Post.....it is the life story of Dr Donald Keene, who was the world's foremost scholar and translator into English of Japanese literature, with some books dating as far back as a thousand years or more. He was born in Brooklyn, went to Columbia University at age 16, getting a degree in languages. By chance he picked up a translated Japanese book which is said to be the oldest novel ever written.....I don't remember the name.......and he was hooked.

Eventually he translated reams of stuff, introducing Japanese classical literature to the West. He also lived partly in Tokyo, partly in NYC. He obtained Japanese citizenship, and at the time of his death last month at age 96, he had been living in Kyoto. He was described as having "the soul of the Japanese." If you look up his name, you can easily find the story.

Kauru.......have you ever heard of him? I just sent the obit to my Kyoto friend, who is a writer, and may very well know him.....

by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/3/19 11:14
Hello Steffi,

How is the weather in NYC? I've been to in May, I love your vibrant great city. Yokohama is nice and the current temperature is around 68 degrees.

Unfortunately I don't know about him, I checked Wiki for Dr. Donald Keene now. He loved Japanese language and Japanese culture greatly. And foreigners got the first medal of Cultural Merit and other great medals. What he seems to had acquired Japanese citizenship right after the Great East Japan Earthquake.

Thank you
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Donald Keene 2019/4/28 21:46
Steffi:
Just returned from Yokohama a week ago. About Donald Keene: I worked in the book review section of The Washington Post for over 30 years so am familiar with Keene's career and personally own many of his books and translations. While in Japan, I read an essay by Keene's adopted son, a shamisen player. This was news to me that he had adopted a son, a Japanese native, ditching the obvious heir who had served as his secretary. The latter, another Japanese man, lived and traveled together for many decades. Apparently, there was a falling out towards the end of Keene's life. The article was written by Seiki Keene (Bungei Shunju, May, 2019, special issue to mark the end of the Heisei Era).
Two of my sempai from St. Joseph College recently dined with your St. Maur friend, Minette Y. on Long Island.
I did walk around the Bluff and admired the cheery blossoms (left the typo as is). The magnificent cherry tree in front of what was our school is the only thing left of our alma mater, St. Joseph College. Berrick Hall, our old dorm, has been restored to its former glory.
Visited Sankeien Gardens, too, which has become a destination point for newly weds to have their pictures taken.
by Honmokujin (guest) rate this post as useful

New emperor for Japan 2019/4/29 23:33
In just a few days, the title and duties of emperor of Japan will pass to a new generation.
Emperor Akihito, now in his mid 80s, will retire and issue to his son, Naruhito, the Chrysanthemun Throne.

I remember when Akihito got married to Michiko in the late 1950s. My folks and I lived in Yokohama at the time. The FEN (Far East Network-Tokyo) radio did what was the first play-by-play of the parade following the wedding service.

I guess that dates me...

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/5/1 13:06
Hi Eric, Kauru, and everyone,...
There is now an amazing five-part series about the Japanese Imperial family during and after the war, McArthur, the occupation, the education and grooming of Akihito, the new constitution that changed Japan from a feudal society to a modern democracy, and of course, Akihito's abdication, etc in the NYTimes.......You can find it, and read all five sections, even without subscribing. There are some interesting "talk backs" as well..

Regards,
Steffi

Emperor's work 2019/5/1 14:49
The most important work of the post war Emperors are pray to God for the peace, health and happiness of people.

In Netherlands 2019/5/1 16:32
During the Pacific War, Japanese army invaded the Dutch colonies. I think Dutch people dislike Japan maybe.

In May 2000, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko visited the Netherlands. They visited special school in Amsterdam. Then Empress was holding the crying girls kindly.

http://photozou.jp/photo/show/3125106/261318056
http://photozou.jp/photo/show/3125106/261317853

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/5/29 15:33
Kaoru-san.....

I was so sorry to hear about the young girls near Tokyo, suddenly stabbed by a man on their way to school. That is terribly sad, a real tragedy.

Japan, in my experience growing up there, was totally safe for chikdren. No one ever harmed a child. It was simply unheard of. I remember wandering a!l over Yokohama, by myself or with a friend, at 7 and 8 years old, and I was never in any danger, and also in Karuizawa when I was even younger.

We were all "free range chikdren" then, exploring, on our own, learning, and having a good time.....

I am sure this will still be the case after people recover from the shock, and that this was just one isolated incident. Hopefully it will never happen again, and Japan will remain the safest country in the world......especially for children.

Best regards,
Steffi

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/6/3 05:08
just to add a souvenir....
late 60s I and friends used to race from the beginning of the daisan keihin tokyo with the goal to reach red shoes bar in yokohama in the shortest time....
until the police got wise and bought a few fairlady z sportscars so they could keep up with the racers..
😊
by wolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/6/24 10:13
On base, Main side. I was at Camp Fuji 13 months in 1965-66, USMC. Writing numerous stories set there. Did not climb Fuji, but know a lot of the area.
by Dan Coleman (guest) rate this post as useful

Yokohama travel 2019/7/2 23:28
Hey Steffi :

My main means of travel were the slow but steady streetcars that came down Ave. D, in front of our house in Sannotani. I was sorry to hear they no longer rock and roll down the rails.
I liked to visit Isezaki-cho and other shopping areas and the nearby movie theaters. These theaters offered more up-to-date movies, especially from the UK and France.
Our maid, Masko, would write down where I wanted to go in Japanese. I'd show this to the streetcar conductor and he would give me notice to pull the buzzer cord.

The streetcar turn-around was just half a block from our house. I remember seeing a streetcar making this direction switch, just as a large earthquake hit. The street literally "rolled" from the quake. Since the streetcar was halfway through its transition, the car jumped off the rails with a shower of sparks from overhead and yells from the uniformed streetcar men.
About half hour later, a large Izu wrecker truck arrived to lift the car back on track.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/7/3 04:54
Eric,

You and I are the only ones on this thread I know of who were there in Japan as children, though I believe you were there again as a young adult, so Japan has a very special meaning for us. It probably partly helped make us who we are in a very profound way.....I find I feel at home with things like open spaces indoors, lack of clutter, people who are gentle and not overbearing, people with patience and kindness......these are qualities I associate with being raised in Japan during my most formative and impressionable years.

It's interesting that it's not just your parents who count, but the whole environment of people......they are all important. Of course, school becomes important also. But they are an outgrowth of everything else.....the sisters at St Mauer's and the brothers at St Joseph's could not have been nicer in their efforts to educate a little foreign girl, but made welcome nonetheless.

I do remember riding trains, but not in minute detail....as with everything, your memory is matchless......

Best regards,
Steffi

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/7/3 23:36
Hi Guys
Lets not forget that Kaoru san was also a child raised in Japan.

Happy 4th to all of us !!
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/7/4 23:08
Peter's absolutely correct........I meant besides Kauru........who of course was lucky enough to already be there, rather than being a long term visitor....

I just read about the 16 inches of rain that just fell in southern Japan yesterday, and caused massive mud slides......I hope the rain stops and that damage is minimal...

Happy July 4th........May we get beyond politics and unite once again and resolve our differences ......

Steffi

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/7/5 05:50
I'm glad that all the members have good memories about Yokohama and Japan.
Enjoy July 4th.

Hot summer in Yokohama 2019/7/30 14:31
Hello everyone,

The rainy season of Yokohama is over yesterday. It is later than last year, there is less sunshine in July and the price of vegetables is high. Today's maximum temperature is around 96 degrees. We drink water with caution for heatstroke and use cooling.

Lightning strikes and heavy rains sometimes occur in the northern area of Kanto. Several typhoons will hit Japan in middle August and September. Recently, there are very strong storms in West Japan every year. Many people were evacuated by it.

Tokyo is even hotter than Yokohama. There are many asphalt grounds and concrete buildings there. And a lot of air conditioners are used.

Thank you,

Hotsui ! 2019/7/31 21:52
I remember the Japanese word for "hot" was atsui.
In my 10 year old mind, "atsui" became Americanized as Hot-sui !

Stay cool, Kaoru san.

Re: Hot-sui 2019/8/1 07:44
Hello Eric san and all

"Hot-sui" is good word, thank you. Today's Tokyo is around 36 F.
Yokohama city is 35. AC is fully operational !!

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/8/7 00:57
July 2019 has been the hottest month on record.....My cousin was visiting Paris, and it was 108 degrees F.
Very worrisome..
Keep cool, Kauro....and everyone..

Page 211 of 233: Posts 4201 - 4220 of 4652
prev
1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 ... 233
next

reply to this thread