Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 212 of 233: Posts 4221 - 4240 of 4651
prev
1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... 233
next

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/8/7 07:49
Thank you Steffi-san,

I made a mistake. That's Celsius. Today's Yokohama is 35 C. I also heard that France and Spain are very hot. I would like to hear this post if people in Europe are watching it. The middle scale typhoon will hit the metropolitan area this weekend. It will be a little cooler. Western Japan is often flooded by large typhoons and have big damages. Yokohama is a strong high pressure and there are relatively few typhoon hits. My house is on the hill, so I don't have to worry about flooding but It shakes greatly during large earthquakes.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/8/7 11:08
July 2019 has been the hottest month on record.....My cousin was visiting Paris, and it was 108 degrees F.
Very worrisome..
Keep cool, Kauro....and everyone..
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/8/7 11:30
Kauru....

Oops.....sorry. Not sure why that got sent off again. I will never totally understand computers...

Japan does have interesting weather. One of my memories is in Karuizawa when I was about 4 or 5 years old. I was walking down the street in front of my house......we lived in an apartment upstairs in a Japanese house, barber shop downstairs, next to some railroad tracks and a small icy brook.......when the street opened up in front of me! If I had kept walking I would have disappeared into a huge pit....There was an earthquake. It was very frightening, to say the least. It was probably caused by the huge volcano nearby. I don't remember any other similar experiences, though there were daily quivers, rattling dishes in the cabinet, and glasses on the table.......

I hope your typhoons are not too bad, and that it gets cooler in Yokohama.

Another interesting article about Japan in the NY Times recently......about an increasingly large number of young women choosing to stay unmarried, concentrating on building their careers instead of also taking on the major burdens of childcare and care of elderly parents which largely still falls on the women in Japanese marriages. Husbands frequently are required to spend many many hours at work.......so sharing household duties falls mostly on the wives.

At least, that is what the article said....

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/8/7 16:13
Arigatou Steffi-san,

Karuizawa is a very good summer resort. Many families and couples visit there during the summer holidays. Yes, I think it was probably the eruption of Mt. Asama.

I don't think Japanese husbands can help well with housework for many hours. Husbands are busy with their jobs, and in Japan there are still bad habits for wives to do much of the housework. But many couples shopping, make meals together and raise their children. I do bathroom and floor cleaning every day. In Japan, law has recently prohibited long overtime hours. I want all workers to go home early.

This is "Karuizawa". If this is in Japanese, click on English.

https://tr.thread.ne.jp/kto2/c2/tr.cgi/https%3a//www.town.karuizawa.lg...

Thanks again,

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/8/9 04:42
Thank you, Kaoru....

The Karuizawa site is very interesting.

I see the current Mr Asama warning level is "3", which means "do not approach" ......I also see that it is one of the tallest active volcanoes in Japan.....no wonder there was so much volcanic activity in Karuizawa.

all the best.....
Steffi

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/8/9 09:41
It was on Avenue D near Yo-Hi (Yokohama High School) in the mid-1950s when I lived there in Sagiyama Ridge. There was a movie theater, snack bar, the NEX, etc. Nearby was a baseball field, military hospital, etc. I lived there in the mid-50s, visited there in 1967, and visited there again the the late 1970s when I lived near Tokyo in Akishima.
by Brad Jones (guest) rate this post as useful

Hey Brad ! 2019/8/9 21:57
We must have crossed paths in 1950s Yokohama.
We lived on Avenue D, Honmoku-dori, across from the middle gate to Area 2.

by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/9/17 18:29
Hello,

I was able to find Sannotani home where Eric-san's family was once lived . The address at the time his family lived was different now in Sannotani.

I asked the city of Yokohama and Japan Ministry of defense about the address, but I couldn't find it. I thought his family lived in the neighborhood of Sankeien garden. Finally heard for Mr. Otani, president of a real estate company who knows well the old history of Honnmoku, last year.

It is now a clinic for internal medicine, respiratory organs, and circulatory organs. The land is about 10 times larger than the current average Japanese houses, and it is expensive because it is in front of Avenue D, "Honnmoku-Dori" good location . I took and uploaded the clinic of the pictures If this is Japanese, clic on English. The clinic name is "Murohashi."

http://photozou.jp/photo/list/3125106/9279180/?lang=en

And these are the post-war Yokohama and other cities you already know.

https://www.pinterest.jp/pin/807903620632678030/?nic=1

Anyway, it is a miracle Eric-san found my dad and me.

Thank you

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/9/18 08:42
Our old address was 91 Sannotani. Next door was 108 Sannotani.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/9/20 13:16
Hello everyone,

The move of the US Navy officer's families at Negishi Heights was completely over to Yokosuka or Zushi. Yokohama City announced rough plans for the area in June of this year. The map of this link shows it, this is Japanese and PDF.

Yellow and blue are residential area, green is park, brown is high rise apartments, and the central blue circle is probably shopping center. We don't know when the Negishi work will start. The green zone on the right side is already park.

https://negishimachidukuri.web.fc2.com/image/negimachi_plan.pdf

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/9/21 04:48
Thanks Kaoru san..
I wonder what plans there are for the racetrack. Last I saw it looked pretty bad.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/9/22 19:33
You bet, Peter san

This clip was probably shot in 2018 at the last of Negishi Heights, I feel nostalgic.

Oops, the current main in Kanagawa Prefecture of Navy housing are Yokosuka and "Ikego". Ikego is on the between Zushi city and Yokohama. It was built in 1938 as Japanese Imperial Navy ammunition depot. Currently it called Ikego Hills, these are highrise buildings and two storied houses. There are 854 households and about 3,400 people live in. I've been to Ikego once in friendship days, it has big changed in modern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evn_juRXtpI

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/10/13 02:31
Hello Kaoru-san,

We hope that you are alright. I read about the terrible typhoon in Tokyo and central Japan. Are you alright in Yokohama?

All the best,
Steffi

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/10/13 06:45
Hello Steffi-san,

Thank you for your posting, my family and home are okay.

My house is on the hill, so it shook in yesterday's storm. The typhoon was very powerful and it is C5 level that I had never experienced. A small quake occurred when the typhoon passed through Yokohama. Currently, there are big flooding in the central and northeastern areas.

I still don't know the full extent of the damages, they are great.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/11/3 09:38
Hello everyone,

Yokohama has been in fine since November. The leaves of the trees will soon turn red.

I often run Zushi, Hayama, Yokosuka by car. Most of them are nights without road congestion. The license plates of US Navy servicemen and family cars in Japan are marked gYh, but they are rare at night. Does the Yokosuka base soldiers and their families have night driving restrictions?

And the Royal Palace in Okinawa was burnt down. It was a World Heritage site and we were very discouraged.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/11/8 01:58
I am very sorry to hear of the burning down of the magnificent Okinawa palaces. I remember seeing pictures of them when they were restored some years ago, maybe in the 1990's ........Kaoru-san, do you think they will be re-built again?

Enjoy the fall colors of Yokohama, your beautiful city, which we all miss....

Best regards to you, Kaoru, and everyone.......

Steffi

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/11/10 08:01
Hello Steffi san and everyone,

Yes, there are problem with the rebuilding of Okinawa's castle. There were special roof tiles because large typhoons hit for Okinawa. However, there are few that tilers now and need obtaining strong woods and pillars. It is built by carpenters who build temples and shrines.

I haven't been to Okinawa yet, the rebuilding of that admirable castle requires a lot of time and big money.

Fortunately the treasures of the dynasty were kept in a strong fire proof room, so there seemed to be no burning all.

The cause of the fire was leakage and the sprinklers were not equipped.

Thank you,

Re: Yokohama Crazy Mr Davis 2019/11/14 06:18
Jennifer, my dad was in Navy. We were in Yokohama and I went to Richard Byrd school. I too had Mr.Davis but in 5th grade (around e65 maybe)..he was very high strung. I often wonder where he is now...anyone?
by Linda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/12/24 06:39
I was there 1954-57. Lived in Area 2 Ridge Qtrs 365-B. All the things you have talked about, "Eric Davis," I am familiar with. I attended Yokohama High School as a 6th and 7th grader. I played baseball with the Yokohama Junior League during the 1956 baseball season as a member of the Seaside Beacons team of the American League. I rode my bike up and down Fire-Engine Hill many times and like you had an accident that destroyed my bike and acquired several head stitches. So many memories. Would like to talk with you about our experiences in Japan. Neet Nac Club, Snack Bar, PX, Theater etc. Also the Yokohama water front and Pier.

Richard Towner (In the 6th grade class picture of the 1956 YOHI Annual).
by Richard I Towner (guest) rate this post as useful

Hello Richard ! 2019/12/25 22:00
Your post was a blast from the past.
I guess you're four or five years older then I am or was back in the 50's.

My folks had a better idea about my educating me and enrolled me in the Yokohama International School. YIS featured an international crew of teachers using text books from the UK. The headmaster was a Swiss national who disliked Americans (save that story for another time,) and I got back to Nasugbu Beach just as the Navy took over and renamed it "Nile C. Kinnick."
I made six trips back and forth across the Pacific on five different MSTS ships. On the last trip home aboard the General W. A. Mann, we stopped for a day in Honolulu, then sailed on to Oakland, CA.

I was thinking yesterday about FEN radio's coverage of Santa flying in from up north. The announcer was heard to say "Santa was stalled over Hokkaido..." This happened every year, it seemed.

Page 212 of 233: Posts 4221 - 4240 of 4651
prev
1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... 233
next

reply to this thread