Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 213 of 233: Posts 4241 - 4260 of 4651
prev
1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... 233
next

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/12/26 00:15
Merry Christmas to all of my friends on the thread and at Japan guide
Peter
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2019/12/31 22:55
Happy New Year everyone,

The Olympic games will be played in Tokyo in the summer of 2020. Last game was held 56 years ago and Japan has big changed. This is a beautiful country, and everyone who once lived, came in Japan knows well I guess. And "Yokohama NEX was where?" forever.

Thank you,
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/2/10 03:57
Kaoru-san,

I hope that you are well. We have been reading about the cruise ship that is quarantined off Yokohama harbor. I was wondering why everyone on the ship is not being tested rather than just the persons who have displayed symptoms. That way they could possibly prevent having more illness spread on the ship.

Are you worried about the spread of this coronavirus into Japan from China? Have there been any cases there in Yokohama or Tokyo?

We have not had any cases we know of in NYS which is surprising as we have so many people coming here to NYC from all over the world. But there are 11 known cases in other states.

Please stay safe......and let's hope this all subsides before the summer.

Best regards,
Steffi
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/2/10 10:15
Hello Steffi -san,

Thank you very much for your posting, we are okay.

I also think that all the cruise ship should be tested for pneumonia. And it seems to do immediately. Passengers from the USA are consulting with both governments on a policy to return by Navy or Air Force.

There is no significant change in Tokyo, Yokohama and other cities. Foreign travelers are decreasing, it will be inevitable until the medicines for pneumonia is completed and there is a declaration of end of infection. It is only five months before the Tokyo Olympics. We want the convergence of pneumonia as soon as possible.
Japan also has advanced medical technology and hospitals.

Best Regards,

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/2/11 09:56
I saw on this Japan-guide site the many beautiful structures being built for the summer Olympics in Tokyo.......very impressive, beautiful architecture. I would love to have gone, but will watch it on television.

As for the cruise ship, I think each individual government, along with the US, should take their own citizens, just as they would in any natural disaster. It shouldn't just be Japan's responsibility just because the ship landed there....it also seems the cruise liner is not being very responsible with the crew, who may be exposing each other much more than the passengers. I guess it is a very difficult situation to resolve. I hope the illness dies down, and that They find a treatment......

Best...
Steffi

Re: Penut Bar Yokohama 2020/2/17 09:50
Hello,
>I visited Peanut Bar in Yokohama through the years 1972 to 1976. Fantastic place. I'm Danish and we called it "Pisse bren". I served in the merchant marine as Radio Officr (Maersk LIne). Together with the apprentice onboard I visited the Peanur Bar each time we arrived at Yokohama. Danced intimately to the Proul Harum "A whiter shade og pale" really romantic! Once uppon a time my friend (the apprentice) was in love with a girl (maybe not so decent a girl ) from the Eros Bar in Yokohama. I frequented a similar girl from the same bar at the time. We took the girls to the Peanut bar and we danced to the beforementioned song., All forgotten next time we got to Yokohama we went ashore and straight to the Peanut Bar. As the evening went on (our girlfriends were not there) a couple of men sat down at our table and they offered us a lot of whiskeys! Afterwards we returned to the ship. The next morning my fellow apprentice told me that he had been chased by someone on the ship when he went to get some food from the cantry. This knife-wielding person was one of the guys that had served us whiskey on Peanut Bar. It turned out that they were not satisdfied that we had a relatioship with the girls from EROS Bar. So much for true love..

by Per (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/3/1 01:53
I don't recall the location, since I was a CTM stationed at Kami Seya from 1955 to 1957. We accessed the tunnel from the wooden building which was attached. Had Cryptographic and Cryptologic clearance since all the equipment we worked on in the tunnel and admin building required that kind of clearance.
That experience and Japan, was the most enjoyable of my life .
One of my COs on TAD, then Capt. Alfred M. Gray, USMC, went on the become a General and Marine Corps Commandant. I follow NHK TV and communicate with people in Japan. I'll never forget.
by Jim Feely (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/3/1 07:44
JIm welcome to the thread.

I worked at Centier pie and we heard about Kami Seya, So I asked my NCO. ''Hey what do they do at Kami Seya'' ..he looked at me and said...they do radio repair'' and gave me that ''got it? '' look. I got it.

by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/3/20 09:18
I sincerely pray for the early end of Corona virus, health, economic recovery of patients of the world. The great powers have researching and producing antiviral drugs, They are successful.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/3/28 22:17
Hi Kaoru and everyone......

I hope everyone is doing well in these highly challenging times.....

We are in New York City, the epicenter of the epidemic, they tell us. My husband and I have underlying conditions and are considered to be the vulnerable folks they worry about. So we are self-isolating as advised in our apartment as of this past week, and, being very careful about deliveries of meals from restaurants, and grocery and mail and package deliveries. It is a strange new world. We are feeling very well, and are determined to stay that way for the duration. We have good friends and my son who also bring us everything we need........we are very lucky. And we are extremely busy and never bored. We read everything, including the details of what is going on around the country and the world......we are fast walking several miles a day indoors for exercise.....listening to music.....on the phone keeping connected......staying 6 feet apart when getting mail or discarding trash downstairs........if I happen to wake during the night, I take lone walks around our empty grounds....

We are hopeful that a vaccine will be created in the next year or so......until then, it will not be possible to have large gatherings of any kind, I would think, even in places with few if any cases of this virus. They say that people who overcome having the covid19 virus probably become immune, at least for a while, but that is not firmly established yet.

I think things will become more normal here maybe end of June or July or so......and people will begin going back to work. Right now streets are empty, everything closed, everyone home except for essential services related to food, medicine, post office delivery, fire and police.....that's about it.......like something from an end-\time movie.....

New Yorkers are extraordinarily kind in times like these....everyone pitches in for everyone else........a total of four different younger neighbors offer to shop for us, which is amazing. Not sure this happens as much elsewhere. There is also a kind of humor with running jokes that is typical of New York which is not amusing to some other people, but which we really enjoy....

Stay safe, everyone, in Yokohama and in the US......

Steffi

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/3/28 23:42
Steffi-san,

I was worried about you and Ron, I'm very happy to reply my family is okay.

I stayed in NYC the next year of 9. 11, when there were many pics and letters on the site of the World Trade Center Building. It is a sad terror trace. At that time we could not go to the Statue of Liberty. I like that very lively and carefree metropolis.

Now we are fighting a very great calamity, I think the Japanese government often has conference calls with President Trump. This fight may be long but we must never give up.

Japan has discontinued "Ohanami". Now, Sankeien garden is full of cherry blossoms, but it is just a walkway. People will take a picture and go home soon. The Japanese capital and large cities are also said to have government restrictions on going out. I went shopping to the glossary store earlier, but the food was slightly sold out but foods warehouses have a large inventory. I don't think we need to buy food in a hurry. Many shopping centers here are open. Closing crowded facilities such as cinemas, concerts, nightclubs, etc.

This thread has been posted for a long time, but I'm worried about all the members. I wish bad virus leave quickly !!

Thank you,

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/3/29 00:00
I think that west great power must make up for their sins.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/3/29 00:07
How I miss Sankaien Gardens...

Wife and I are keeping busy preparing for this year's vegetable garden.
I planted radishes and transplanted asparagus plants yesterday. Tomatoes and peppers are up and looking very good under grow lights in our beach house.
The Lake of the Ozarks is coming back to life. Wintertime Florida lovers are returning and weekenders are here.
We saw kids swimming in the lake this week. Water is about 65 f.
That's a bit too cool for me.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/3/29 07:45
Kaoru -san,Sent

Prime Minister Abe announced a larger number of cases coming, especially in Tokyo, and also Osaka. Be very careful, avoid crowds, wash hands, etc. I hope your family remains safe until this disease is eradicated.

In the US deaths have just now doubled to 2000, after taking one month to reach 1000....so the cases are multiplying rapidly. Our governor estimates NY will reach its apex in 14 to 21 days, after which the numbers of new infections will start to decline in our tri-state area of NY, NJ and Connecticut. But I am not sure what will happen in other parts of the country.....

We will hope for the best......

Steffi

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/3/29 21:59
Thank you very much, you are right.

PM Abe said the fight with this virus could be long-term. Today is the end of March, but snow fell in many areas, t has already melted. I think going out in the metropolitan area is bit danger.

I told my family tonight be very careful about this great disaster.
My family is Christian. If this virus is according to the bible apocalypse, good people will pass it quietly.

Again, I wish the virus is lost around the world as soon as possible, and hope health, good economic, environments recovery.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/3/30 12:55
Hi Kaoru-san,

Here in the States, Johns Hopkins University, in Baltimore, Maryland, near Washington, DC, has a well-respected department of infectious diseases, and tracks all the numbers from WHO and CDC.......it also has an excellent website where everything is explained for the public. The information is accurate, complete, and timely. And some of it very interesting.

For example, it explains what this new virus is. It seems to be a protein substance, a kind of DNA, which is wrapped in a thin layer of fat. it is actually very fragile and barely a living thing. So anything that dissolves fat will destroy it, which is why we are told to use soap or 65% alcohol based substances to destroy the fat wrapping....The virus can only live and reproduce and grow on mucous membranes in our nose, eyes, throat, lungs, where it can make us very sick as It invades cells there, literally becoming our cells, turning our own cells there into aggressor cells. It cannot attack skin on our hands, but if your hands are contaminated with the virus, and you touch your face, you can become ill.

Anyway, there is plenty of other interesting information on the site......

Stay safe, Kaoru, and evetyone.....

Steffi

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/3/30 18:46
Steffi-san,

Thank you several replies.
Corona is very infectious, any bacteriologists and medical scientists say the virus is a modified bacterial weapons. The Japanese army of unit 731 also research and development demon weapons in Harbin city China before the end pacific war 1945.
That was a big sin sad story... No need those weapons.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/4/1 11:04
In addition to the pandemic Japan has still not completely eliminated the radioactive water in the North, the result of the tsunami several years ago. I recently was in a store in New York looking to buy some sea weed but when I noticed it was from Japan I decided not to...afraid it might have come from the radioactive waters. Better to be safe.
by CJ Hunt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/4/1 12:20
Hey CJ,

Welcome to this thread, I am against nuclear power there are plenty of ways to improve thermal generations, make better efficiency and purifying exhaust, It was a great earthquake in the northeastern region 9 years ago. I think the government response at that time was very bad. In fact, at present, radioactive water is in Fukushima and its treatment is being carefully considered. Don't buy if you think Japanese products are dangerous. But many of the things we buy are made in China. The great tsunami in the earthquake killed about 18.500 people.
How many people does Corona kill of the world?

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/4/17 12:52
Hi everyone. Ifm long overdue to check in. I see from the recent postings that most of the regulars (Kaoru, Steffi, Eric, Peter) were doing well the last time you posted. I hope that has continued. Ifm well and being careful. My neighborhood in Alexandria, Virginia is unusually quiet and practically deserted which is weird because our parking spaces are all filled and nearly everyone is home but staying indoors. Hopefully people will spend more time outside when it warms up here if it ever does.
Itfs interesting reading the posts from the past two months about Yokohama and New York and seeing how this pandemic has progressed from being practically nothing to becoming a major disaster that none of us could have predicted. Ifm hopeful that this will soon be over and we can all start getting back to normal but I donft believe life will ever be quite the same. For one thing, those of us in the high-risk category will have to continue to practice some form of social distancing and protection long onto the future until the virus is eliminated or we have a vaccine.
It was good seeing a new post about the Peanuts Club. Those were the days. We thought theyfd never end. A chapter in my life over fifty years ago. And life goes on.
This latest chapter will end, too.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 213 of 233: Posts 4241 - 4260 of 4651
prev
1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... 233
next

reply to this thread