Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 232 of 233: Posts 4621 - 4640 of 4651
prev
1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233
next

Sports cars 2023/3/12 15:48
Last spring I went to Atami marine resort near Yokohama.
When I was driving a Toyota on national highway, I saw Lamborghini SUV was downshift and speeding ahead. I was surprised to see the license plate, it was the US military number in Japan. It's not an embassy car.

Do US generals have enough salaries to buy Lamborghini cars?
I love Italian sports cars and 60's, 70's American Muscles.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2023/3/12 17:21
The Navy Exchange was near area 2 in Yokohama, Japan. I lived in Negishi Heights in 1975. I am the eldest child of William and Connie May. I have three siblings, Michele, David, and Charlie May. I was 10 years old in 1975. I walked to the Navy Exchange from Negishi Heights. I took a short cut through the cemetary adjacent to my side yard. I was on a mission to buy a glass doll case for my dolls. The Commissary, and movie theater were nearby. Also, there was an Italian restaurant, La Tavernetta. I will never forget how delicious their cheese pizza was, or the festive red and white checked table cloths.
by Georgia May (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2023/3/13 20:38
Hi Georgia,

Thank you for your good posting of Honnmoku memories. I was born in 1-27 Neghishi 1959. My family lived in Negishi Heights for about a year. I think we were probably house sitting for American family back in the US.

My dad was on duty at the Yamate police station in Kominato at the time. It's the neighborhood of the Ricksha Room and Seaside Club. Dad was then assigned to the Isezaki Police Station. He was an excellent police officer who served as a detective for over 30 years.

Mom Nobuko was a babysitter at the home of Caltex's Japan branch manager. My dad, Mitsuo often went to Eric's house in Sannotani when he was single, and he looked like Eric's bodyguard. His house now a large gastroenterology clinic on the front of Av. D. It is nearby the road leading to the Sankeien Garden.

Sannotani 2023/3/20 00:42
Great memories, Kaoru san.

The street car stopped just a block from our house.
I was one of very few Giajins who traveled by street car.
Our maid, Masako whould write down my intended destination.

A one way ticket was Y 13. Round trip was Y 25.
Back then, 1 $ would buy 360 Yen...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2023/4/29 16:45
A bit of news: The Yokohama International School, which was located on the Bluff, moved to Kominato in the Honmoku area, just a stone's throw from the Yokohama Navy Exchange. It's located behind the police station. If you read their website, someone, maybe a former student of YIS claimed Mark Hamill (Star Wars: Luke Skywalker) is one of their graduates. We know Hamill graduated from Nile C. Kinnick H.S.
Y.I.S. moved in 2022.
Over to you, Eric, to inform them of their error.
by Honmokujin (guest) rate this post as useful

YIS 2023/4/29 23:23
YIS seems to resent questions of late.
Will try again...

YIS 2023/5/2 18:15
Hello Honmokujin, Eric-san and all

YIS moved to Kominato nearby Yamate Police Station,
Yokohama NEX. The great histry school of Bluff is gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78tUUwqejDs

Thank you.

Honmokujin 2023/5/3 01:42
More one web site of YIS: https://www.yis.ac.jp/
Amazing hit movie "Star Wars"series leading actor Mark Hamill studied at Nile C. Kinnick High School in Yokosuka City because his father was a captain in the US Pacific Fleet in his 3rd year of high school. Mark was active as a member of the drama club. He graduated from this school in 1969. I think this is true.

School building 2023/5/3 20:40
Before the Navy took over, Knnick school was name Nasugbu Beach. Nasugbu was an Army victory in the Philippines.

Re: School building 2023/5/3 23:39

Hot days El Niño ? 2023/5/18 13:46
Yesterday and today are very shine in Yokohama city, 86 degrees likes already summer. The inland areas are even higher, about over 95F. Thailand seems unbearable temp, these seem to be the effects of El Niño and the seawater temperature is warm. The impact will be most strong in 2024s, when disasters such as high temperatures, powerful storms and tornadoes can occur... My old house lost one shutter on the 2nd floor in 2019 Category 5 Typhoon Hagibis, everyone be careful.

School building 2023/5/23 00:25
It seems I remember researching the history of the school building we're talking about.
It was obviously standing when the war ended.

What was its use pre-1945 ?

Re: School building 2023/5/23 09:19
Hey Eric san,
Apparently this link has the answer.
https://aoshs.org/collections/school-histories/as/jp/521/

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2023/6/7 06:43
Astrud Gilberto, singer and best known for her hit "The Girl From Ipanema" died today.
I met her while serving in the Army in 1968. She was performing at a military club in Tokyo. Before performing she was signing autographs. She smiled and said hello as I approached her. Her singing sounded exactly like her albums...soothing.
by Dave (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2023/6/8 03:22
On this day in history, June 7, 1942, Battle of Midway ends in decisive US victory.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Around the corner from the Yokohama Navy Exchange 2023/6/8 22:26
Just read a Japan Times article today praising the architect of the newly built Yokohama International School (YIS) around the corner from the long-gone Yokohama Navy Exchange. Great location, but not as great as its former location on the Bluff. Which was around the corner from St. Joseph College (closed in 2000 after 99 years of history). What is happening today in Yokohama is the continuation of the city's urban plan that began with Minato Mirai, near Sakuragicho JR train station along the waterfront. New hotels and office buildings and residential housing stretch north and south with parks and walking paths down to Motomachi. From there, development points toward what was once Areas One and Two that included Yokohama Navy Exchange. I would recommend a tour of the city which now has a great transportation system with subways and other modes of transportation. They ought to bring back the tram that would connect Motomachi to Honmoku and Negishi. I stayed at the Landmark Tower, on the 63rd floor of the Royal Park Hotel. Great view of the entire city and Mt. Fuji. The tallest building in Yokohama is already 30 years old. Time flies and real estate prices are going up again. With the dollar-yen exchange at \139, everything is a bargain.
by Honmokujin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2023/6/9 03:22
Honmokujin, on a windy day is there still the foul smell of oil in the air? When I lived there 1968-69 there was.
by Joe G. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2023/6/13 23:09
When I lived in Yokohama during the 1970"s the smell of oil was prevalent and the air was quite polluted. I'm glad I left.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2023/6/14 12:49
Today's Yokohama, Japan's natural environment is wonderful. Carp, crucian carp, and sweetfish live in the rivers of Yokohama. Although there is a lot of traffic, exhaust gas regulations for gasoline vehicles, especially diesel engines, are strict. The air is clean and the sea is not polluted. In the 60s and 70s, Japan was in a period of economic growth, and many factories discharged waste liquid into rivers and the sea. Now they are purified in plants that the factories have and go to the sewers. The number of large buildings has increased, but greening and the construction of parks are also being carried out. The JPY is cheap now. Come here and see Japan again.
by Kakashi (guest) rate this post as useful

History of the Yokohama Sankeien Garden 2023/8/24 06:50
The world is boiling. Since Yokohama is near the coast, it is a little cooler than inland. This link is about the histry of Yokohama Sankeien garden, soon some kids will enjoy crayfish fishing the pond. Japan is early Thursday morning and temperature is around 81 degrees, try it.
https://www.sankeien.or.jp/learn/history/
Stay cool !!

Page 232 of 233: Posts 4621 - 4640 of 4651
prev
1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233
next

reply to this thread