Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 3: Posts 41 - 43 of 43
prev
1 2 3

Re: Question about ryokan/onsen 2019/7/16 08:21
Hi, I would avoid the area between Shijo Station and Sanjo Station (although by Shinmonzen street it is pretty well good), and east essentially to the main road. Bear in mind that Gion used to be a pleasure centre so it makes sense that this kind of thing is there. During the day you dont notice it, but at night it is riddled with host and hostess clubs, with guys in black suits touting for people to come inside, and some very, very experienced looking women on the corners. In my experience they leave westerners alone though I saw some drunk locals effectively being pulled into clubs, it was pretty seedy.

I would stay as close to Gion Corner/Kiyomizudera as I could, or go further north and stay at Westin Miyako, especially the Japanese rooms. The Westin is out of the way but in a very pleasant area.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about ryokan/onsen 2019/7/17 16:49
Thanks Lazy Pious I will look into it and avoid the areas you describe.

On a separate note by coincidence we arrive in Kyoto on Aug 16th which is the day of the Daimonji Fire Festival.

Anyone been to it? Sounds pretty impressive.

I have managed to reserve the last seats on our train from Tokyo to Kanazawa and now trying to finalise our itinerary. I know there is a Thunderbird Express from Kaga Onsen to Kyoto but can't seem to find a website to book a seat - would it be too late to do this once we land in Tokyo on the 9th?

I also need a train from Kyoto to Tokyo on the 18th but we are a lot more flexible here on timing - is it OK to not reserve seats if we have JR Pass Green Car?

Thank you!
by Sana747 rate this post as useful

Re: Question about ryokan/onsen 2019/7/17 17:45
Green class requires reservations. If you don't want to reserve, you'll have to travel ordinary class.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 3 of 3: Posts 41 - 43 of 43
prev
1 2 3

reply to this thread