Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 3 of 4: Posts 41 - 60 of 71
prev
1 2 3 4
next

Re: Masks 2023/3/16 04:26
Yes, locals, some in business attire, and I dont believe chinese or Koreans though there were plenty of Koreans about (and quite a lot of Thai I think, in Kyoto)

And I would say it hasnt been the first time I've seen it happen, though it was the first time I had noticed it in Tokyo. Almost invariably it has been more mature gentlemen, say 50 and over.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/3/16 05:04
Hi All,

If people feel like it, I'd love to hear general updates every couple of weeks on how the number of people wearing masks change.

I'm not really a fan of wearing masks, but will put up with them when I visit in June if they are still worn by the vast majority of people and may cause significant social stigma. As they say, when in Rome.....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/3/16 21:15
@Lazy Pious
Thank you.

@mfedley
I think it probably depends greatly on the situation than the region, but on Mar 14 (Tue) 4pm-ish in Yokohama, it was 3 out of 20 passengers on my train car. I recall that it was on the same day that a mask-less gentleman boarded the non-crowded train I was on, but then put his mask on.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/3/17 00:40
Thanks Uco.

I'm visiting in June and don't particularly want to wear masks in the humidity. As such - I'm hoping for a slow but steady uptake of less mask wearing.

I will probably still wear masks on public transport because of the compactness and I think it's still requested I think by the government. That's my personal choice of course.

Re: Masks 2023/3/17 02:56
This is interesting to me. Someone recently told me that about 20-25% of people were walking around Tokyo unmasked now. I assumed it was a huge exaggeration. Based of what is being said here it is an exaggeration but things are changing noticeably.

I am visiting in July and definitely don't want to be masking too much (no problem on trains and in air conditioned buildings of course). I'm somewhat hopeful that my trip might be more comfortable now.

I would also be interested/grateful if folks could keep us updated about how things really look on the ground.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/3/17 07:49
There is a marked difference between outside and inside. Outside an assumption of 20-25% of people with out masks is definitely okay. And hopes this will increase with the coming heat. And the end of the pollen season.

But inside until last week it was nearing the 100% mark. But this week really changes things.

Eg in my company everyone was wearing masks for meetings, and when walking around and many people did wear it all the time. But since Monday most meetings I attended to (I was on video though) the other attendees were maskless). Itfs not huge meetings, but meetings of 2-3 people in the same room. My company is in the Pharma sector which is very traditional and conservative but still the change was immediate from last week to this. I joined last year and I have a bunch of colleagues whofs face I saw for the first time this week.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/3/17 09:52
I think it's still requested I think by the government.

The government recommendation is to use masks on CROWDED public transportation, not on public transportation in general.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/3/17 11:33
Since March 13th, the government has said that people don't need to wear masks indoors as well as outdoors, including trains unless it's during rush hour. Keep in mind, this is just a suggestion by the government and not a command.

Ever since that day, I've noticed in Japan more people wearing masks including on the trains and outdoors as well as indoors. There are still a majority of people wearing masks of course, because in Japanese society, it takes a while for things to click and to show people "hey it's ok to change things".

Overall, I do honestly believe by the hotter months, you will see less and less people wearing masks. People just like to see what others do since Japan is very concious of what others think about each other.

I hope this update helps you guys with some insight if you're thinking of traveling to Japan. :)
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/3/17 11:35
Sorry, made a mistake with my last post. I meant to say that I've noticed more people NOT wearing masks compared to before. Things are slowly changing.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/3/17 15:35
3 out of 20 passengers is no different than what I've been noticing in the recent months. But what interested me the most is that, in a recent Red Hot Chili Peppers' concert in Japan, about 20 % of the audience (according to an audience member) weren't wearing masks while the audience was chanting (chanting itself wasn't new here in Japan even during the pandemic).

Another interesting aspect of the concert was that a band member asked (not the audience but) another band member how he's supposed to know if the audience is smiling when everyone is wearing masks, to which the other member replied that you can see from their eyes. This was a great way to speak for both sides, and the even more interesting part is that some Japanese people on Twitter interpret it as the band supporting non-masks while others interpret it as supporting masks.

There will be a re-run of the show on WOWOW channel on March 22. More big rock concerts are heading this way with tickets already selling.

Again, note that a lot of Japanese people are wearing masks only because they want to and not because everyone else is wearing them.

Re: Masks 2023/3/18 04:27
Speaking of which I've been to many idol shows over the years and over course calls, yelling, etc. are a big part of that for some people. I used to think it was a little bit annoying but watching videos of shows that have taken place since 2020 honestly they feel a bit soulless without the annoying otaku yelling at their favourite member.

ºo‚µ‰ð‹Ö and ºo‚µƒ‰ƒCƒu are words I'm seeing more and more though so I'm hopeful things are slowly heading back to normal.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/3/19 21:47
Although 13 March was ditch the mask day, Ifd say the mask reigns supreme even in wide open spaces and gardens.
March 19 in Nagano is no different despite it being a sunny day, they cling to their masks.
They continue to wear masks to breakfast at hotels and when visiting restaurants.

I wonder how the locals cope with wearing it for such long hours. It made me quite ill on train travel days pre 13 March.
Ifve been stared at in the street and in shops but I wasnft breaking any rules or laws. Hotels can no longer compel you to wear masks in common areas.

The government calls it epersonal choicef. But workers do not have that choice, it seems.
by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/3/19 22:00
During the current sumo matches, I noticed (on TV) a few sitting on the front rows are without masks. Ditto the staff.
However, during the recent World Baseball Classic at Tokyo Dome, (again watching it on TV) most wore their mask.

I read that as soon as the Japanese tourists arrive at their overseas destination, they yank off their mask!

Go figureccc..
by aa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/3/20 02:17
On Mar 17 (Fri) afternoon, 2 out of 4 shops/restaurants I attended in my less-crowded neighborhood had its workers not wearing masks, including a food vender. I also saw that students in my neighborhood high school weren't wearing masks. I carried a mask in my pocket but ended up not wearing it on that day.

The Japanese government never "forced" but only "encouraged" citizens to wear masks, and it was up to the schools and shops to set policies for the people using their facilities. I suppose some of them are changing their policies this week. I also feel that less toddlers are wearing masks this week, even in city centers.

Again, note that a lot of Japanese people are more comfortable, physically and mentally, wearing masks than not wearing.

Re: Masks 2023/4/12 07:41
Latest publication on the number of mask wearers

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/04/11/national/japan-masks-ai-a...

Infront of Tokyo station:(ie OUTDOORS)
85,6% now (after a few weeks when mask mandates where changed to gdo as you pleaseh
89,7% on 13/Mar which was the first day the mandate had changed

This is obviously only a spotcheck. I would say that number of people without masks has increased. A lot. But when you had 1 in 100 nit wearing a mask and it now went up to 4 in 200 (just as example), itfs a huge increase but still the vast majority wears masks indoors at all times.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/4/19 03:58
Responding to "When in Rome..."
I don't want to sully the reputation of American tourists, but do we really want to be seen as 'sheep'? Masks are excellent germ collectors and are poor at preventing covid virus transmission. Makes it hard to respect the social pressure (and hotel/store mandates) that we will encounter in Japan, especially in cities. I've read that many Japanese people are averse to wearing masks, but do so anyway, not to protect themselves and others, but just to please them. Plus, I hate speaking to faceless people. So unfriendly. Have to decide whether to be honest to myself or to follow the oppressive and unhealthy practices I encounter.
by Jovana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/4/19 07:34
It is now up to the individual to decide whether to wear a mask or not. Just be tolerant of individual decisions!

Re: Masks 2023/4/19 16:43
Thanks for the update Likebike. It looks as though the number of people not wearing masks are "slowly" changing.

Your (and other) updates make me feel comfortable enough to know that I should be able to easily travel at least outside most of the time without a mask (through choice). I am visiting in June/July and early August.

I'll also be spending my time mainly in regional/rural areas so it will be interesting to see how that area is different. I'm expecting summer will probably change people as well, specifically with the heat.

Re: Masks 2023/6/10 16:37
Wondering what the situation and feelings about wearing masks currently are.
by Judith (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Masks 2023/6/11 07:55
The percentage of people without masks has clearly increased since May, especially outdoors but to a degree also indoors. Even some flight attendants, train and store staff can be seen without masks. But the majority still wears them, especially indoors.

Page 3 of 4: Posts 41 - 60 of 71
prev
1 2 3 4
next

reply to this thread