Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 12: Posts 41 - 60 of 223
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
next

BTW 2006/3/13 02:32
BTW megan their are alot of shops on line if yall need supplies!!! Just look around.
by biff rate this post as useful

Don't Give up!!! 2006/3/28 07:27
Gambare!!! Everybody who dont know japanese and wants to become a mangaka!! Send ur manga to tokyopop! just dont ever give up ur dream!! Manga is my passion! just believe in urself! dont let others to move ur confidence! just do it! dont copy any mangaka's style! wheather is Miyazaki or Nanaji ! make ur own style! i have asked Kodansha and magaret (hana to yume) they said they accept manga from foreigh countrys but it must be in japanese! so our best choice is to send it to Tokyopop! i have been drawing manga since i learn to call papa mama! i will be sending my work to tokyopop in april! i have full confident that my manga will be one of the best in the world! Confidence and talent is all we need to have! Don't Give Up!!!!!! i was so happy when i see so many plp r trying their best to acheive their goal! im just so happy that we all have the same dream!!! ^v^ i will tell ya when my manga really got to be published! Bai Bai!!!
by Laiba rate this post as useful

still want to send ur manga to Japan? 2006/3/28 07:40
But if u still want to send ur manga to japan here's some useful information! You must select some publishers and magazines for sending your work.
What kind of manga would u like to draw? (ex: for low teen girls , for high teen girls , for boys...etc)
There are so many magazines in Japan. I follow here some of those.
*Kodansha...Nakayoshi(for lowteen girls)
*Shueisha...Ribon(for lowteen girls) Marguerite(for middle and highteen girls)
*Hakusensha...Hana to Yume(for middle and high teen girls)
Marguerite said they can`t accept the manga from overseas generally.
And you must write some complicated things when you sent your manga to them.
[ex. Which Margaret's mangaka do you like the best ? etc...] and they said they can`t translate your manga.
So l think is better to sent ur manga to Hana to Yume.. here's their address: 101-0063

Kanda Awaji-chou 2-2-2
Chiyota-ku
Tokyo Japan

Hakusensha [Hana to Yume] hensyubu HMC kakari

Gambatte!!! ^o^
by Laiva rate this post as useful

thxxx 2006/4/27 12:35
you guys are beautiful!!! :*)
never seen so much determination.. i know its really random but... zomg im so inspired now lolxz
really great advice...
by bobeeny rate this post as useful

Ummm... 2006/5/5 07:32
Can Hana to Yume translate English? Do they only accept shojo-styled manga? Even though I'm a girl, my style is closer to shonen than it is to shojo. 0_o Also, is there a certain age limit to manga creators? And, I know for a fact that if you live in America/ Canada and submit manga, you have to be really, really, REALLY good with both story lines and artistic talent to be taken seriously. For example, if I'm at Chapters and I see a manga that doesn't have the "100% authentic manga" symbol on the back of the book, I have to be impressed with the story and artwork in order to buy it. Is it just me who does that? The only decent Ameri-manga that I've seen so far is Dramacon by Svetlana Chmacova. The rest like Van Von Hunter is just creepy. --__-- ; I really want to become a manga-ka, but with all the things that other people are saying on this board, I'm starting to doubt myself... What should I do? I know a little standard Japanese characters, but not much, and what DO Japanese audiences want exactly in the manga that they read? Good plotlines, artwork, creators, what?
by Strawberry-Kat rate this post as useful

To Strawberry-Kat 2006/5/6 11:27
No! my japanese friend told me that hana to yume don't translate mangas.. but i think they might translate it if u r really very very very very good! im not so sure wheather they accept shonen manga or not.. but i'll try to ask my japanese friend about it.. & there's no age limit to be a mangaka! where ever u live in the world u got to be really, really, REALLY good is not just for Americans/ Canadians.. and don't get discouraged by other plps they r just so negative..Japanese audiences want exactly what u want from a manga! u dont expect all the japanese to have the same taste, do u
? but the drawing must be really awesome and the plotline is the heart of the manga ..nomatter how great the artwork is if the story is like rubbish even u won't buy it! for example Chibi maruchan 's artwork is so simple and plain that is almost like drawn by a small child but due to the story it is so popular !! i also have the address of margaret tell me if u want it.Just don't give up!!!! ^v^

Some things to consider.... 2006/5/7 17:19
Why? Why do you want to be a manga artist? Is it because itfll be tons of fun drawing all day, youfll have tons of fans and be rich and famous? Not to mention your manga will be turned into an anime that will be super cool!!

Drawing manga is very hard, demanding work. You have to make strict deadlines, sometimes weekly or monthly depending on what your publisher allows. On average you would probably need to produce at least 30 completed pages in a month( penciled, inked and toned. ) As well as cover designs and any other bonus materials your publisher may request. Your output needs to be of consistent quality too. Your editors may annoy the hell out of you asking for numerous revisions, that you still have to complete in the given deadline. You most likely wonft have time to go shopping at the mall and hang out with friends. ( CLAMP only has one day off a month! Thatfs 12 free days a year, my friends, ~ but of course this is CLAMP wefre talking about) Unfortunately the pay of a manga artist isnft very high ( unless you have one of the top series out there ), especially if you are outside of Japan ( like the U.S. ) You could make more working at McDonalds flipping burgers. If you canft live with meager to zero amounts of spending money, you most likely would have to find a part time job as well. Maybe in time this will change, but are you willing to work for such low pay? A lot of artists in Japan have assistants to help them complete their work before deadlines, so unless you know some people who have the skill and you can count on ( that you will also have to pay ), youfll be doing it all by yourself. As for being famous, there are huuuundreds of manga artists in Japan trying to make it that youfve never even heard of~ so what makes you think youfre so much better?

Do you have the skill? Just because you can draw characters that look somewhat manga styled doesnft mean you have what it takescYET. Even with a good story, if your art is poor, no one is going to want to read it ( Having poor art is different from having a simple style ). For me, the art is the first thing I judge, before I even get to the story. If the art is poor, I donft even bother with it. And Ifm not going to think that maybe with time their art will get better, nope, itfs the first look that you have to be able to hook someone in.

Why would I want to read your story? Is it in any way unique? Even if it has influences, the way a story is told is what makes it unique. Personally, I think a non-Japanese with a story set in Japan with Japanese characters at school or something like that is a pretty lame. Itfs been done to death people! To me thatfs just a fan copying, not someone whofs serious. There are tons of countries out there, tons of different cultures to explore..Japan isnft the only one!! Take the time to do some research.

Ifve read over many forums where people say they desperately want to be a mangakac but they canft because they donft know Japanese and canft get into any of those nifty manga schoolsc. Uhmmc what? How does that stop you from drawing? Those manga schools may be able to teach you some cool techniques, but theyfre not going to automatically make you good. That comes from you. It comes from hours of practice a day, every day without giving up. You may think your work looks horrible at times, but you just have to keep going. Study everything you can.

Also, If I hear one more13 year old saying that they gseriouslyh have the best art and story in the world and have what it takes to be published, Ifm going to scream. Itfs good to be confident, but not over confident. Just because it looks good to you, doesnft mean its professional quality. Show your work to others and get their opinion. Take criticism graciously. If you are showing someone your work with the attitude that youfre the best and expecting them to tell you so, then you need a time out. Sitting there defending your work or making excuses is really not a good thing to do either. If youfre hoping to get a great response, then you should be showing your best, not something you did on the bus ride home.If you have a great sketch, feel free to share it with others, but donft expect to get the same response as fully completed illustration might.

If you live in the U.S. I strongly suggest submitting to an American publisher. ( even if you are not in the U.S. you can submit to a company like Tokyopop - they do have an office in Japan after all, so if your work is something they think Japanese readers would like, they may just translate it )
A lot of people seem to think they can hop on over to Japan and become a manga artist, but thatfs completely false. The laws Japan has on allowing foreigners to work there are very strict. If you want to work in Japan, you might have better luck as an English teacher. Japan has no shortage of wannabe pro manga artists, so there is no need for them to go through all the trouble to hire a foreigner.
Even if you could ( being better than CLAMP and all the other famous manga artists out there! to do so ), you would really need to know the language fluently, because basic Japanese isnft going to work well in manga. Just like if you are a horrible writer in English, no one is going to want to read it. Also, if youfre not Japanese and didnft grow up there, you donft know the culture like a Japanese person would, so you probably canft really write a story from their perspective that caters to a Japanese reader.
Just deal with the fact that you arenft Japanese and enjoy drawing. LOL~

Herefs some things you can try that might help you with drawing

Take some manga pages that you like and print them outc There are plenty of scans online that you can find.
Now, try replicating the page of manga. If you have a light board, trace the page, yes I said trace. If it looks good, then try inking itc after youfve done that, take a look at the original manga page and your own. Can you see the difference? If you cannot produce a decent copy, when you have it right in front of you and are even tracing itc. Then how will you be able to make something of your own from scratch that will be able to compare in quality? So keep practicing until you can see yours gradually begin to look more refined and closer to the original. Ifm not saying you neeeed to copy detail for detail, your style may be completely different as well, but there is a difference between quality and style.

Having the grighth tools doesnft mean youfre going to magically be able to draw manga either.
Using the same tools and materials as your favorite mangaka doesnft mean that their skill flies into your body and you can now draw like them.

Ok, that's all from me for now... if you read that and you are still not discouraged, than I say go for it X3~!

by T.K. rate this post as useful

agree with T.K 2006/5/8 02:37
I'm not discourage by u at all Tk ! anyway what u said was 100% true! and i agree! i won't give up untill i've tried ..even if they reject me i'll send them my work again and again and again and again!i have bought all the tools is not cheap at all! $28 HK for a sheet of screen tone! i used 5 months to buy 33 sheets! and not to forget the deleter papers $77HK 40 sheets only ..i didnt buy those pens since im used to draw with my own inkpen.. and those curve rulars.. u really need to have alot of money to buy all the tools..digital screen tones r not as good as the real ones.. even if u say that u can draw very well with a ball pen u dont need any tools but the publishers need it! and Watase Yuu draw 100 pages a month!! i draw 20 pages a day but i draw them freely on ordinary papers without screentones or anyother manga tools so is much easier but when i try to draw on comic papers my hands starts to shake..lol! maybe im too scard to ruin it...^v^ Bye!

:D 2006/5/8 07:05
Screentones are too expensive for me right now... so while I do the lineart by hand, I do the screentones on the computer... It's a lot cheaper that way because you can use the same ones over and over and they never run out. My digital tones are all scanned from real screentones, like Deleter. So I can always buy more tones and scan them in, or I can make my own tones with some pattern that I scan in. Plus, since Im working by myself, it's a time saver that way. Time is money after all.
If you're hand gets shaky, you could always just draw it on regular paper first, then use a lightboard to trace it onto the comic paper...

TK r u a manga-ka? 2006/5/8 12:35
TK...R u a mangaka? since u sound like one..just curious ..and is there any site where i can see ur art?^v^ btw where can i buy a lightboard online? and how do i know which one's good? Thx!
When i look back at my past art it really sucks! that's the way i know i have improved.. i never have the confidence to send my work to the puiblishers just cuz i was scard that they might not be seeing the same as me .. but now i don't feel it that way .. my art of few years ago looks cute but not really good.. and i can't draw mans too.. but now i can draw guys even better then girls..the guys i draw looks better then Yuu Watase but not Chiho Saito lol! but i can't draw backgrounds ..only if is really simple ones.. i use to draw more then 9 hrs aday now i could not even draw 5 hrs..due to my wrist hurts.. i have made a website for my artworks 5 yrs ago..lol it looks so funny now..http://geocities.com/anime_and_art/

Who me? 2006/5/8 16:34
I am not a professional manga artist yet, no. I have worked for Tokyopop on a project, but had to quit due to some problems. I can tell you right now, if you are a full time student, you most likely cannot handle both workloads :P But I learned a lot of things I will never forget from that experience. You cannot be so trusting of people just because they are so-called ''professionals'' for one. You can get taken advantage of very easily.

As for a lightboard, I found mine on ebay... It's an Apollo 11 x 18 inch and I won it for about $50.00 It took me some time to find this deal.. Otherwise they are quite expensive. I bought a new one, so I'd be sure it'd work for a long time. I don't know which ones are the best though. I don't draw at print size, so the large size of the lightboard is a lot better for me, 8.5 x 11 would be kind of aggravating. Just search around and find something that's affordable for you.

How old are you btw? Your art from 5 years ago looks pretty cute ^^ My art from 5 years ago.. oh no, I don't want to think about it! LOL I think I was into drawing furries then hahaha.

Im not very good at organized writing, so creating my stories is a bit difficult and a slow process...but Im working on setting up my online manga website( its up, just not the manga~ )...It'll be very rough though, since I don't have much experience in making manga.. it'll really be more of a site for personal improvement than an official online manga... at least for a little while.

If you give me your email, I could tell you where it is once I start posting. ^_^

TK ! So u r a mangaka! Cool!!! 2006/5/8 18:30
You cannot be so trusting of people just because they are so-called ''professionals'' for one. You can get taken advantage of very easily.

....Why???? were u cheated by someone? was it tokyopop?? which project did u worked on? was it published? and will u mind telling me how they paid u ?
I'm 24 from Hong Kong, U?
i'll look forward to ur manga!^v^ here's my email daichisama@hotmail.com
Btw thanks for the details of lightboard! i never thought there was a need to buy one but now i think is really important! Thanks for all the advise! and i'll tell u when my manga got published! ^v^ hope so! btw should i send my work to tokyopop of US or Japan? or to both? what do u think? i might even try to send some copies to hana to yume or margaret lol let's see what'll happens...o.O" i might become a millioair in one night{dreaming}-v- or i might never get a reply from them LOL

Well.... 2006/5/9 06:36
I'm not a "mangaka" yet, since I haven't been published. What I worked on, I have no idea if they will have another artist take over and re-do everything I did, or if it will be printed at all. I'll just say that it was a troubling experience and I donft care if it is published or not.
Hong Kong? Thatfs cool!~ I turned 20 last month :3 I live in the U.S.
A lightboard isn't necessarily important, but it is something I find very helpful. My penciled art is sometimes very rough, so with the lightboard Ifm able to trace over it and have cleaner lines to then ink.
I think probably submitting to the U.S. office would be better, since I donft know if they are accepting submissions through the Japan officec.. Ifd suggest entering the Rising Stars of Manga contest, only they donft have one for Hong Kong yet unfortunately ;_; , but you can go to the website: http://tokyopop.com/aboutus/submissions.php this is the submissions page, it gives a lot of information about what theyfre looking for you to send. Make sure to read all of the agreements they have posted before you send them anything They accept foreign talent, there is one artist I know of who is in Australia that works with them. Unless you know Japanese, I think itfs better to submit to a U.S. company like Tokyopop ( or a company in Hong Kong?? )c then if your work is something they think Japanese readers would like, they would probably translate it.

MANGA IS A LIFE STYLE 2006/5/9 22:29
WHERE I COME FROM ANIME/MANGA IS LOOKED DOWN UPON BUT I LOVE IT AND WANT TO BECOME MANGAKA. SO ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS IF YOU WANT TO BECOME ONE GO FOR IT AND GIVE IT YOUR ALL AND DON'T LET PRICKS GET YOU DOWN
by DANZELL rate this post as useful

To T.K 2006/5/10 01:12
Thanks very much T.K! ^_^ i knew that site too! and i have print out their contact form long ago! if i haven't hurt my wrist i would have sent my manga long ago! Btw can u pls tell me how much did tokyopop pay u?once again Thank you!im looking forward to see ur online manga !

YeaH!!!!!!! 2006/5/10 06:47
So DANZELL lets go for it !!! we all have the same dream here! Btw where r u from?

PRICKS 2006/5/11 23:18
I'M FROM JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA
AND PRICKS ARE WHAT I CALL ANIME/MANGA HATERS
by DANZELL rate this post as useful

cause it sells 2006/5/15 02:02
the reason i would want to become a mangaka is because there mangas and anime sells more then our US comics do. now i dont know if ours sell well down there but our bookstores have more shelfs with manga on it then we do with comics.

But any way TK what if I'm a writer, could I find someone in Japan that could draw it out for me and would I still get paid and have some credit?
by Louis rate this post as useful

...... 2006/5/15 07:56
although u asked T.K but i 'll also like to help u

Hey Louis! There r many writters out there who find mangaka to draw for them! or sometimes the publishers find a manga-ka for'em, Like ''Hokuto no ken'' and many more! although the manga-ka is usually more famous then the writer..but the writter also got paid and credits for it ,so go for it!
by Sora rate this post as useful

Even if I could be a manga-ka... 2006/5/15 11:47
I could care less what Tokyo has to say about it!

I say just do it and forget what everyone else thinks! Soon enough someone will "discover" you.

Either you like drawing or you don't. Just remember that most manga artists draw because they like doing it. Otherwise, they'd be in another line of work, would they not?
by Arian I. rate this post as useful

Page 3 of 12: Posts 41 - 60 of 223
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
next

reply to this thread