Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 34 of 233: Posts 661 - 680 of 4652
prev
1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 233
next

Kaoru-san 2008/2/18 06:46
Does all of this seem a little strange to you ? I mean people that live so far away from where you are every day think so much of yokohama and all? And oh can read my post to Wally san but don't tell anyone [ especially the 1 billion people on the net.] i hope "the one" approves.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Pictres of Avenue D and another 2008/2/18 18:31
These pictures are the Honmoku areas. To our regret, these are Japanese. If you want these pictures' detailed explanations, I will say it.

http://tamagazou.machinami.net/honmoku.htm
by K rate this post as useful

Honmuku Photos 2008/2/19 00:01
Thanks for the photos. Many I can believe that I know where they were others not so much. When were these photos taken? By the age of the cars I might think that they are recient. Also thanks for your offer to translate. There may be one ot two that I might ask you to translate for me. How do I tell you which ones? Count down from the top? There is one that looks very much like the corner on Honmuku where I would turn to walk up to my apartment building on Medori Gaoka. I was called Manzaka Mansion. Howerer, given the ammount of time that has passed I could not be sure if it was the same corner. Thanks again.
Wally san.. 1 or 2?

Where is this? 2008/2/19 00:37
K Re the photos. 7 levels down to the right and left. Where are these?. The one to the right seems very familiar. I am very sure I have seen this corner. perhaps this is the one I walked to Medori Gaoka. Lets see how close I am. Thanks!
Warmer today and rain. Got my van unfrozen! Yeah !

Pictures 2008/2/19 09:21
Peter san;
I write easy explanation of the pictures.
The JR Yamate station, level 1 and 2. 3, 6 are Yamato chou street. 7 and 16 are Avenue D. There was a gas station in 15, front of Yamate police station.
20 and 21 are Sankeien garden shopping street.
I think the biggest change to be Maical Honmoku shopping mall in avenue D.
These are pictures in the shopping street of Honmoku. The owner seems not to have been changed though most of shops redecorated a store. This link is an official site in the Kanagawa prefectural administration.
Today is also clement in the morning of Yokohama. However, pollen began to
disperse. The highest temperature is about 50F.

by Kaoru rate this post as useful

Honmuku Photos 2008/2/19 12:50
Kaoru-san
Thanks for the explanation. Level 7 was Honmuku [Ave D] the corner was very familiar but not sure if it was the exact one I remember. Does the new subway run under the street there? This was much fun !! I would love to see some photos of medori Gaoka School and my old apartment building. Tonight I have a drink for my new friend Kaoru.. long life ! Your english is getting better. But the term "clement" is not used much. However the term "inclement" as in.. the weather was inclement [bad] is used in formal speech. Not everyday . English is so confusing.. INclement.. inside clement ..no..it is not inside, if anything it would be UNclement but that would be wrong. Today we had very warm weather over 50 F. The ice is melting and the large pile of snow is going down. And Kaoru..I think it is very nice that you think enough of us to use F scale. Sometimes I wonder where we Americans are at with miles, inches, feet and all that. I grew up with all of these measurements so it seems natural to me but I acknowlegde that most of the rest of the world is on the metric system. Tomorrow we get the last car out of the ice if we can. Man, I can't wait for spring and plant some flowers and vegetables. This is after I clean up the lawns after the fall leaves. Winter came so fast that I did not get all of the grounds here at home cleaned. Maybe this year we will hire a company to come in and do the spring clean up. I have been doing some drawings of a Japanese "summer house" that I would like to build . Perhaps if I get the plans down better you could look at them. I am having problems with the roof line and proportions of the house to the roof. Also I am undecided as to if I should have a kotasu or not. I am thinking about 6 or 8 mats with a tokonoma I have no idea how I will get tatami here or perhaps I should use grass cloth mats over wood floors. I believe you said you were in the building trade at some point. Sorry much for you to translate.. many thanks.

Wally san 2008/2/19 12:53
1 or 2 ?

Peter-san 2008/2/20 04:56
#1 and #2.
by Wally rate this post as useful

Kaoru-san 2008/2/20 05:03
Kaoru-san, can you direct me to any pictures of the park where Kishine Barracks used to be, and to the apartment house I lived in which was Hakuraku Mansion on the hill overlooking Hakuraku Station? Domo arigato in advance. (is that the polite way to say thank you?)

OK 2008/2/20 10:04
Wally san
One and Two is.. good for you ! I will ask you no more..Thanks for that, you can tell me the whole story when I see you. Hun ? There was a photo I saw of Kishine taken in the 40's or 50's try a google search. Im sorry I dont recall where I saw it but will try and find it. Curiously the photo of the gates gad a telling scene. The gate had a wrought iron top to the drive and outside a Japanese lady was talking to some GI.. while the security guard was "keeping busy" and ignoring the pick-up in process. Or whatever it was. Milder today.. got the final car free from the ice. Highs in the 30ies tropical! Thanks again wal. Check out Kaorus photos. There is one especially I am sure I remember, what a nice thing.. would love to see some of Bayside Courts

Kishine Park 2008/2/20 11:11
Hello, Wally san
I have not gone to Kishine. And, it did not know there were houses of the US Navy there. I searched for Kishine. The park was in the link of Yokohama City. However, it is Japanese.

http://www.city.yokohama.jp/me/kohoku/kyoutuu/midokoro/kisin...

by Kaoru rate this post as useful

Kishine 2008/2/20 23:04
Wally, Try Us Army Medical Command Japan Assn. There is a small section on 106th and Kishine. Sorry dont know how to link through.. got to learn how to do that. Ijust googled Kishine US Army Yokohama Medical, there may be more there didn't get to it. Good luck.

Kaoru-san 2008/2/21 01:18
Kaoru-san, thank you for the pictures. The park at Kishine is where the 106th Army Hospital was before 1970. There used to be several large hospital buildings there, but now it is a park. Hakuraku Mansion was not Navy housing, it was a Japanese apartment house, and I rented an apartment there. It was on a hill above Hakuraku Station. Again, thank you.

Kishine Photos 2008/2/21 13:14
Wally san, Found the photos.
Go to ASK.com and type in Kishine Barracks Yokohama and go to R&R in Japan Yohohama. I will learn to link this stuff as good as Kaoru san does. My young friends do not believe me when I tell them that there were no computers when I was growing up. Let alone a "dial" telephone. Perhaps that was a simpler time. No instant messaging. All the vehicles are out of the ice now. Just in time for the next 12 inches of snow they say we are getting on Friday. Its 11:10 EST and the eclipse of the moon is ending. What magic. The Maya could calculate the lunar and solar eclipses, But I can't. Take care all.

Peter-san 2008/2/25 06:41
Thanks for the pictures of Kishine. The Barracks looks kind of dismal in these pictures, but when the 106th was there, after these pictures were taken, it was rather a nice, cheerful place. Of course, it is now a park. Also, the Maya could calculate an eclipse, but they are no longer here, either!

Wally san 2008/2/25 12:24
Did you catch the subtle interaction in the photo ?
The Maya are not here thanks to there own calendar which predicted that cortez would land on the exact day that he did. March 5th ? Wonder if they are right about 2012 ? Hey Wally what was your job at the 105th. Not sure if you explained that. Did you travel much while there ? I got to Sado Island, oshima island Matsushima, Nikko, Kyoto and a whole lot more places. As you might recall, Shimoda was very wonderful, prehaps because also that I was newly married and that the whole time in Japan was like one long honeymoon. Not that I would have appreciated 1&2 but It didn't work out like that. Still cold and snow in NewHampshire.. This is stupid.. and prehaps my last winter here..Still wonder if Lori found Mrs Matsudaira. Remember that. What are you up to now?

Not much to report here. 2008/2/25 20:49
We never did get anything on the whereabouts of Mrs. Matsudaira. The Chaplain reponded but nobody currently going to the church knew her unfortunately. he was sincere and honestly tried, I went over there myself (I live in Negishi housing now) and spoke to a few people but to no avail. Also these days all the gates are locked and gaurded 24 hours a day, back then anyone could go through the housing area with no problem so accessesing the chapel back then was so much easier, this is probably why more Japanese folks that do not have a military member in the family do not get to use the Chapel. Times have changed and the security is very tight compared to back then. I have seen the entire change since I have been here in Japan since January, 1992. In 16 years there has been huge amounts of change in the bases and security enforcement. Negish surpisingly looks very much the same as back in the old days from the pics I have seen. I really wish we could have had more luck with info on Mrs. Matsudaira, I think of how nice it would have been for Lori to reconnect. We had emailed back and forth while the search was on, I hope she is doing fine and still reads the thread. Well, i must get back to my work here on the ship. Have a good day folks (night here in Japan).
by Chris rate this post as useful

Chris 2008/2/26 01:35
Chris; Thanks for your reply
I am sorry that you Were not able yo find Mrs Matsudiara for Lori, it seemed to mean very much to here as I can imagine as I would have liked to re-connect with some of my old friends. I had no idea that you had been in Japan for so long how wonderful. I assume that you have made trips back to the states on occasion. I loved my stay there but by the end I was eager to get home to see my family and friends and just to " be home" Each one of us in my unit would wish what we missed most.. food ect.. camping fishing. For me as I remember I missed fried clams from a little place in Ipswich Mass called the Clam Box. Which as it turned our did not have the best fried clams, that would go to a place in Essex Mass called Woodmans.. anyway, I also recall that privacy was a big deal. as you know Japan is very populated and as i remember there was only one time in my whole stay there where there was any solitude. Curiously, that was at sankien garden right there in Yokohama. Had a peaceful couple of hours just siting in the marsh grass. Good luck to you, and be careful.

Peter-san 2008/3/1 07:30
If you would like to see a couple pictures of MacArthur's old yacht, go to: www.navycthistory.com/kami_intro. Scroll down to Dick Oelzefs pictures, 1966, Kami Seya - Trip to Tateyama photos!

LOVE THESE PHOTOS 2008/3/1 13:03
Oh Wally san.. the photos of the yacht and all the others are great. What nostalgia especially the ones of the guys in a set up shot in front of some bar with beer bottles in their ears and such.. just wonderful. Still no peanuts.. oh well. One photo was of an overnight pass.. don't remember needing those, prehaps the navy guys did. Also the 60's hair on the Japanese women who looked uncomfortable hanging out with these guys.
Was thinking about some of the small errors that I made in Japan with respect to Japanese protocal. Like the time just before new years when we were downtown and there was some street fair selling fans or bamboo rakes decorated with good luck symbols. Seems like this was a time when it was acceptable to bargan with the groups selling them . Didn't know any of this and walked away when what was expected was that we would haggle with them for a low price. foux pas.. several others.. for later. Tried very hard not to be an ugly american. maybe goofed a little.. your story? Thanks for the pix were great !!!

Page 34 of 233: Posts 661 - 680 of 4652
prev
1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 233
next

reply to this thread