Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 36 of 233: Posts 701 - 720 of 4651
prev
1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 233
next

General Yamashita's gold 2008/3/5 23:12
I remember reading about how the general carried 10 tons of gold around with his army while in south Asia and the P.I. Anyone wanting to lead a search for the gold can buy a certified treasure map from one of the shoe shine kids in downtown Manila...
by Eric rate this post as useful

Club built into a hill 2008/3/6 05:35
I did a quick "look-through" of the pictures on the Kamiseya page and didn't see a picture showing an EM club in a tunnel or hillside, BUT....when we arrived in Japan in Spring of 1980, we stayed at the Navy Lodge which was located in Bayside Court in Yokohama and the Chapel was located there, too -- built into the hillside at the back of Bayside Court! When in the chapel for church services, I noticed the old yellow and black Civil Defense signs. And some of the (closed off) side rooms contained emergency supplies meant for use in case of an air raid. So, Ifm speculating it may have originally been a bomb shelter/air raid shelter. I read or heard mentioned or saw somewhere that, prior to the Chapel being located there, it had previously been a club - Chief's (E-7) Club, I think. Canft remember exactly how I learned that. This may explain the picture of the club that looked like it may have been built into a "tunnel-like hole in the cliff". (Peter, can you tell me how to view the picture you referred to? I would like to see it if possible. Thanks!)

The early 1980's was the time-frame that the "community support" facilities were being built in Negishi (I watched the buildings being built) to replace what had been located in the Honmoku area for many years, including but not limited to the chapel and club(s)c.
by Lori rate this post as useful

tunnel 2008/3/6 09:56
Lori I will try and find it for you. Pretty sure it was in Yokouska. The lead you gave us gave me a pile of photos to look but will try and re-locate it. Was a 50's photo and sure it was not bayside courts as I was familiar with there. the supplies you mentioned may have been in case of typhoon as a pamphlet I read once indicated that Bayside courts was an 'evacutation place for area 1 or 2 That came from the yohi devils site.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Got the photo 2008/3/7 00:02
Lori took some time but here it is. Took in 1949 was in yokosuks.
www.navycthistory.com/yokosuka_35_intro.html

I still have to learn how to link this stuff like you can.

Photo 2008/3/7 05:47
Tested the site.. didn't make it. Just try navycthistory.com and scroll to the bottom to Yokosuka photos. I goofed. Looked at the photo more closely and enlarged. Is not in a tunnel just looked like that with a quanset hut like look [semi circular] treatment over the door. Looking more closely I can now see windows furthur down the scene which is clearly a building and not in a tunnel. Sorry about that. i wonder if anyone ever did a survey of bunkers tunnels ect in the Yohohama area? I wonder if its possible that there maybe some undiscovered cashe of stuff there. Went digging in my old neighborhood once mostly to get soil for out pathetic garden, but gave up, thought at that time if there might be any unexploded stuff there. Apparently the hills of Naka ku got pretty hammered in May of 45. Aerial photo of that day shows dock area where I worked was engulfed in smoke. Secatary at the food inspection station says that her family took to the hills when the war was over they were told that the americans wouldl kill everyone and the black people would eat them. The black guys in our outfit thought that was hilarious, they played with that one all day, made for some good times we all got along beautifully and it was a joy.
After hours the black guys did seem to want to party pretty much to themselves which was ok, I thought that they had some neat place they discovered and would not let the rest of in on it.

Peter-san 2008/3/7 11:14
No wonder I was always getting into trouble, there was some guy running around with my name causing problems and I got blamed for it. Just kidding!
by Wally rate this post as useful

coincidence 2008/3/7 12:10
What are the chances in that ? I lived in New Mexico for about a year in Rosewll
and there was some guy with my exact name that got charged with some morals crime Kiddie stuff. had to tell my friends that it wasn't me. hey wall same middle initial and all ? The day I got to Japan was sent from Camp Zama to Yokohama and landed at Bayside Courts. Went up to the barracks on the second floor in time to meet the other guys in my new unit. They asked me where I was from..told them North Andover Mass one guy looked at me and said oh yea? I'm from Boxford.. was the next town over ..we lived about 5 miles from each other still another lived about 20 miles from there. I had to think that there was some logic in all that some army way of doing something like OK today we will send all the food inspectors from essex county Mass to yokohama. I know.. it doesn't work like that but nevertheless I love when weird things happen.

Current Info on Kamiseya 2008/3/8 07:46
I found the following, which I thought might be of interest to those of you who have been discussing Kamiseya. I hope this gives you some of the info you were curious about.

www.atsugi.navy.mil/Kamiseya_new/index.html

Current Info on Kamiseya - again 2008/3/8 07:52
That last one wouldn't open what I had found, so try this one. When the page opens click on the button on the left labeled NSF Kamiseya.

https://www.atsugi.navy.mil/index.asp

Peter 2008/3/8 08:36
Here's your answer to the Enlisted Men's club with the entryway in the arch shape. It is the (old) Club Alliance which was outside the base gate at Yokosuka, which is what I thought I recognized when I first saw the picture (connected to the Kamiseya website). It was still partially open and operating when we first arrived in Spring of 1980. A new one was built just inside the main gate at Yokosuka to replace the off-base facility.

I found this info by going to www.ask.com and entering Club Alliance Yokosuka Japan.

www.sproston.com/Documents/Club_Alliance.pdf

Lori 2008/3/8 23:59
Thanks but had a problem with security on the secons site was not recommended had problems . Spike to my old college roomate about Kamiseya. At first he denied knowing of it then he sais he had been there a couple of times. Asked him about the spook stuff and he in effect almost hung up on me.
by apeter rate this post as useful

Yohi used to be Honmoku Shogakko 2008/3/9 02:12
Eric: Before the end of WWII and the subsequent occupation, YoHi (Nile C. Kennick) (sp?) used to be Honmoku Shogakko, elementary school. I know this because my brother attended the school and we had furniture in our Honmoku house from the school. Both my brother and I attended St. Joseph's. I do remember the tiny bookstore in front of the Honmoku Sankeien streetcar station. I bought the entire collection of Classics Illustrated there. Honmoku has now been acknowledged as the place where jazz began but I think it is also the birthplace of Japanese rock 'n' roll, thanks to the Yohi students. From about 1957-196x, we had Saturday night dances in the basement of Sacred Heart Cathedral. I learned to dance there from Yohi kids. We formed a rock band called the Blue Saints. I remember seeing Gene (Bebopaloola) Vincent at Nichigeki. Listened to FEN constantly. There must have been many rock bands at Yohi around that time. You must know.
by honmokujin rate this post as useful

Hello, Honmokujin ! 2008/3/9 02:30
Boy, we're really dredging up the past here!
Thank you very much for answering the question about where the YoHi building came from. I attended grade school there55-57, first when it was called Nasugbu Beach Elementary, then later when it was Nile C. Kinnick Navy Elementary 60-61. In between, I had two years at Yokohama International School.
I am thunderstruck that someone would remember "The Ten Yen Store" that had the comic books. It was "our secret," (a pal named Chris who lived in Area 2 tipped me to its existance.) We knew there must be someone else going through the stacks because if Chris or I didn't buy them the day they arrived, they'd be gone in another 24 hours. You must've been the "culprit." --Unbelievable. Thanks for your comments. They really bring back memories.
Regards,

Eric

Peter 2008/3/9 14:01
That site or page is well worth seeing. If you can't open it on your computer, perhaps you could find a friend (or perhaps the local public library) who has a different Internet Service Provider (ISP) than you do and open it on their computer.

I opened it again and had no problems -- and we have LOTS of protective programs on our computer! The pages that open show an article and pictures - again well worth the effort to view it.

Photos 2008/3/9 22:53
Thanks Lori will try again

Honmoku Shogakko 2008/3/11 06:32
A friend who also checks this site confirms there is another Honmoku Shogakko in Yokohama.

Lori , Eric 2008/3/11 06:56
Got into the site but not sure if it is the one you wanted me to see. was all about atsugi and a small blurb in Kamiseya. Thanks. Eric.. I listened to the FEN far east network we called it the far out network. They had a program called The Balloon Farm. They tried to be cool.. they really did.. but it came off as being a forced attempt to be hip.. like "here's a groovy disk for you hipsters " I give them credit they were trying. Ever see " Goodmorning Vietnam ? Shoeshine boys in Manilla? Coal mining.. this is a complex man. Ten yen for flowers!
Todays Haiku
The snow recedes in New Hampshire
Circles over the septic tank
Ah mud.

Peter 2008/3/11 10:03
This is the one about the Enlisted Men's Club in Yokosuka. It is a newspaper article from 1955. The club was not yet labeled Club Alliance - not sure when it was renamed....

www.sproston.com/Documents/Club_Alliance.pdf

Honmoku school 2008/3/11 10:13
I don't know what has become of FEN (Far East Network) after 1963 since I left Yokohama for the States. But during the late 50s and 60s they played great music. We're talking Elvis, Buddy Holly, all the rock 'n' roll greats of that era.
After Yohi was demolished along with Area 1 and 2, Mycal Honmoku shopping center and residence took its place. I don't know where the new Honmoku Primary School moved to. The Japanese Middle School (Chugakko) was built on the edge of Area 1 on the Honmoku side. The shopping center leading to Sankeien Gardens in Honmoku still looks the same as it was 50 years ago.
by honmokujin rate this post as useful

Honmokujin 2008/3/11 13:30
Wikipedia has pretty good info; just go to their webpage and put in "Far East Network".

Page 36 of 233: Posts 701 - 720 of 4651
prev
1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 233
next

reply to this thread