Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 4 of 5: Posts 61 - 80 of 81
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

... 2008/10/5 08:56
I'm from Bosnia, and everyone in my country takes off their shoes when entering a house. It's natural to us. Plus, it keeps the floor clean, like so many of you already said.

I don't really get it, why some people don't take off their shoes in the house. I mean, you have to take your shoes off when going to bed, or going to take a shower, so why wouldn't you just do it when you come home??
by Ina rate this post as useful

It Seems To Be Universal 2008/10/5 18:13
I live in Germany and it's very common to remove shoes on entering the house. I'd also like to poingt out to the poster who saw people on German train putting their feet on the seats that in 8 years of living here I have NEVER seen such a thing. To begin with, it's true that teenagers are becoming more rowdy and disrespectful everyday...I could imagine a group of them doing this on a Friday night while going out drinking and being rebellious. But for the average person in Germany, this would be considered very rude behavior. I could even imagine someone of an older age speaking up against this out loud if they witness this. I hope that was an isolated incident. It's not in keeping at all with German politeness-
by bella24 rate this post as useful

"the poster..." 2008/10/6 18:23
"I'd also like to poingt out to the poster who saw people on German train putting their feet on the seats that in 8 years of living here I have NEVER seen such a thing."
I have been staying in Germany for a longer period than 8 years and have seen this happen quite often in recent years, and I rely to a very great extent on public transportation. Besides spiting on streets is getting common too. Germany is no longer the clean country it used to be.
"To begin with, it's true that teenagers are becoming more rowdy and disrespectful everyday...I could imagine a group of them doing this on a Friday night while going out drinking and being rebellious."

Why it is always some prototype poor teenagers? Also the so called 'normal people', whoever this may be, put their shoes on the opposite seats and not in a drunken state and not on Friday. This may not be a general practice yet, but it seems to becoming one.

"But for the average person in Germany, this would be considered very rude behavior."
Oh, yes, the average clean and shaved German, wont do it, but any teenager would!

"I could even imagine someone of an older age speaking up against this out loud if they witness this."
Are you living in Germany? Some people have been beaten up in this country in the subway, since they stood up to the rude behaviour of other passengers.
by mira08 rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/12 16:24
I am Polynesian and was raised in the south. My parents and grandparents instilled in us the removal of shoes wherever you entered a house.
The custom, from what I was told was during the migration of Japanese into the islands of Hawai'i. These Japanese workers worked in the Taro patches, sugar cane and the red dirt all day long. By the time they arrived home they were totally filthy. Especially with red dirt. Tracking that through the house is a pain in the butt to clean off carpets and tiles.

When we were growing up, people who came over to our house were asked to remove their shoes, but were given a pair of "booties" to wear if they were uncomfortable going barefoot.

It's such a natural response now days when I enter anyone's residence. I always remove my shoes at the door.
by Kae rate this post as useful

other places 2008/11/7 16:22
what you guys are missing is the fact that in japan it's not only common to take the shoes off at home (which is common all over the world, we know that now ;)) but also to take off your shoes at other places, temples, shrines, museums even bars or restaurants, and that's where japan is rather unique I think, because you would never think of taking your shoes off when entering a restaurant anywhere in europe. And it's even in restaurants in japan where you don't even sit on the floor.

sorry if someone already mentioned that here, haven't read through all of the posts.
by infi rate this post as useful

polite 2008/11/15 17:47
Here in U.K People wont take there shoes off when entering your home unless you ask them to. Even then they don't like it. I like the Japanese way because it is polite. If I went to a Japanese home I wouldn't mind taking off my shoes.
by Alicia1 rate this post as useful

aussie style 2008/11/15 19:44
In most homes in Australia you would not take your shoes off unless you were asked to so do..and then it is certainly not a problem..but I have yet to be asked to take shoes off and then be provided with slippers..just walk around shoeless..but it is always expected that you would wipe the soles of your shoes on the doormat at every front door before you walk inside. I do believe however that the Japanese way is more preferable...
by fmj rate this post as useful

really??? 2008/11/15 19:48
Removing shoes in every restaurant and bar? only if they have a tatami floor but definitely Not if the floor is wood, tiles etc. One doesn't remove shoes in many temples and museums and definitely not in Western style hotels either! I do remove my shoes as soon as I enter my hotel room but i haven't seen any one removing theirs in the lobby, hallways, dining room etc.
by Red frog rate this post as useful

The Japanese aren't special 2008/12/2 10:05
It drives me nuts when people ask why the Japanese take off their shoes when they get home. Most people everwhere DO take off their shoes! I'm from Canada, and almost everyone takes off their shoes. Sure, there are a few weird households that don't, but most people think it is uncomfortable to walk around the house in shoes. Furthermore, it's shoes are dirty. Most people don't like to track mud around the house, not just the Japanese.
by me rate this post as useful

Rather Universal 2009/4/6 17:56
I live in the US, and here even I've seen people get strange looks when walking inside someone's house with shoes on.

It's definitely more comfortable and it does in fact keep your house cleaner.

Not to mention I view it as rude (almost as if they don't respect your home) when someone walks through my house with their shoes.
by Zeleii rate this post as useful

Not so Universal.. 2009/4/9 12:46
At least not in my house, in the US. But we do have the mentality of the floor being dirty because of it. I have seen some people who prefer that people take off their shoes at the door when you visit them. Our house even changes a bit during certain seasonal times. Snowy or Rainy times, for example.
by alexdhamp rate this post as useful

Why do Japanese take their shoes off? 2009/5/8 04:23
Shoes are also taken off in Serbia, Finland and plenty other countries. In fact, in Finland you also take your shoes off even if you go to a home party. It means you can be all dressed up and have wonderful shoes, but you'll leave them in the hall and walk around in your pantyhoses/socks even in your little black dress or suit.:)
by Keti (guest) rate this post as useful

Not Universal 2009/5/13 03:26
I come from a country in Central America and as far as I know, nobody there takes their shoes off when entering a home. People will change to slippers for comfort but you never walk around barefoot as it is unhygenic.
Keep in mind that homes here are not fully protected from the outside elements as the homes in the norther hemisphere are. Dirt and dust from outside are easily carried in by the wind from outside.
Additionaly, some people believe that you will get sick if you walk around barefoot not only b/c of the dirt but also b/c of the cold temperature of the floors.
My mother always yelled at me when I didn't wear shoes. I live in the US now and I do wear slippers at home but that's simply b/c it's more comfortable than wearing shoes, but I'm rarely if ever barefoot. Even on carpeted floors!
So taking off you shoes when you enter a home is a world wise universal thing. I've noticed most of the posters are from Europe and North America. I'd be interested to see what people from South American coutries have to say.
by cityGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

not really typically japanese 2009/5/13 05:51
In The Netherlands most people prefer you take your shoes off when you are invited in someone's house. My mother doesn't like it at all when I walk around with my shoes on in the house.
One of my friends' parents are even more strict about this matter. Perhaps it is less of a common rule here than in Japan but, certainly, we usually take our shoes off as well.

Also, I can not believe that you would feel comfortable walking around the house wearing shoes. I can not wait to get those darn things out as soon as I am inside (at my own place or at friends).

Greetings
Dutchman
by Dutchman (guest) rate this post as useful

Comfort 2009/5/13 07:07
Not only does it keep your house clean it is also more comfortable. After living in Japan for so long I have a hard time not taking off my shoes. It just seems rude to leave your shoes on especially if you have worn those shoes in a public restroom.
by ryokans rate this post as useful

stubbed toes 2009/5/14 14:48
Ever stubbed/dropped/triped/nicked/cut/scraped your feet on something? I haven't. Why? Cause I wear shoes inside of my house.
by bob (guest) rate this post as useful

natural? 2009/6/27 06:44
well i think its cultural and natural..my culture does it also it shows you know manners...in thailand uco of course they dont take off thier shoes they have dirt floor if your rich then you have a house house not a straw house not to be mean but im born in thailand but im not thai a lot of people thinks im thai cause im born in thailand but its natural to take off shoes you respect and know your manners...
by frickle rate this post as useful

Japenese way to shoe or not to shoe 2009/7/6 03:40
Tatami floor:
O Bare feet or socks
X Indoor shoes or slippers
X Outdoor shoes
Examples: traditional Japanese houses, Judo gyms, buddhism temples, shinto shrines.

Wooden floor:
O Bare feet or socks
O Indoor shoes or slippers
X Outdoor shoes
Examples: traditional Japanese houses, buddhism temples, shinto shrines.

Tiled or linoed floor higher than the entrance level:
X Bare feet or socks
X Outdoor shoes
Examples: some hospitals, elementary to senior high schools.

Tiled or linoed floor directly connected to the entrance level:
X Bare feet or socks
? Outdoor shoes
In this case, whether outdoor shoes are allowed or not, you can tell whether there are slippers for visitors.

And still, there are so many exceptions...
by hk (guest) rate this post as useful

Understandable However 2009/7/6 15:01
I'm not sure if Japanese people own pets but if they do,can't they step in poop?They do get walked don't they?There feet (along with their body) is just as gross as shoes.Yuck,I guess Japanese don't allow the dogs inside or make them take there "paws off" outside :)
by Jessica (guest) rate this post as useful

dogs 2009/7/7 08:34
it is very rare to see dog poo on the sidewalk or in parks here- everybody carries plastic bags and even a squirt bottle of water to clean up after their dog while taking it for a walk, so for either a human or a dog, standing in poo is really unlikely.

However many people would wipe their dog's feet off when it comes back in for a walk- not that hard to do.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 4 of 5: Posts 61 - 80 of 81
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

reply to this thread