Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 4 of 12: Posts 61 - 80 of 223
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
next

BRING IT 2006/5/15 22:12
SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME DREAM... IF YOU WANT TO BECOME
THIS BOOK ARTIST YOU'LL HAVE TO BRING IT...SO MANY DREAMS WILL BE FLUSH DOWN THE TOILET....
by NOBODY rate this post as useful

MASTER SKILLS AND PLENTY OF PRACTICE 2006/5/15 22:19
IF YOU CAN'T MASTER THE BASICS THEN YOU NOTHING....YOU YOU'VE NEVER PRACTICED FOR FOR HOURS AT A TIME YOUR NOTHING....THERES PEOPLE I KNOW WHO JUST SIT AND DRAW HOURS AT A TIME...LIKE I SAID BEFORE BRING IT
by NOBODY rate this post as useful

I found an interesting article 2006/5/16 00:56
from Tokyo newspaper.

A girl from Vienna came to Japan to be a manga-ka.

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/00/thatu/20060515/mng_____thatu___000.shtml
by onizuka rate this post as useful

-_- 2006/5/16 06:50
onizuka! can u help us to translate it? Thank you! btw what's her race?
by Laiba rate this post as useful

.... 2006/5/16 06:53
and what's her name? did any of her works got published? if yes may i know their names? Thank you! ^.^ she looks like a japanese to me..or chinese?

Though I don't know 2006/5/16 15:22
proper spelling of her name.
In the article,her name is written "Tara Sterneg" in Roma charcters
by onizuka rate this post as useful

where do i go 2006/5/18 19:49
hey then where do i send my writings to. like if i submit to shonen jump with my writing, what does has to look like. like a story book, or a monolog.
by Louis rate this post as useful

Wont it be awsome 2006/5/31 09:48
It would be so cool to be in japan and drawing for a living with all the fans sending you letter after letter. Is it easy becoming a mangaka?
by Telly rate this post as useful

To Telly 2006/6/5 12:13
Ask urself if u think u've got what it takes to be a mangaka..Keep trying!

Easy? 2006/6/7 21:45
It would be so cool to be in japan and drawing for a living with all the fans sending you letter after letter. Is it easy becoming a mangaka?

I think the fact that no western artist has ever become a successful mangaka in Japan would tell you that it isn't easy.

A few (five, maybe?) have been published in Japan, but none have gone on to successful careers doing it. With everyone I've seen so far, their mangaka days are over within a year.

Will a person on this board succeed? More than likely, those who do make it all the way to drawing and inking a completed professional-looking manga will find that Japan is a very tough market, and America (and other western countries) are far more willing to publish their creative vision.

But good luck anyway.
by Old Ant rate this post as useful

Make sure you read this, 2006/6/19 11:46
Like the title of this reply says, you will want to read this. I will explain a few things here. Manga is a way of drawing, it is not really a Japanese Only'' way of drawing. A Manga-ka is someone who can draw in this style very well (such as myself) be they Japanese or not. There is no such thing as a ''fake'' Manga-ka. That just sounds stupid. To the person that replied in the post before me: The idea that you present that says a Western person could not last more than a year being a Manga-ka in Japan and the idea in which you say that many westerners are not published in Japan both brought attention to me. In some ways these are correct, in some ways they are false. These ideas that you presented will and do NOT stand for all people. It depends on the person. I myself speak Japanese, live in the U.S. and have submitted many Manga to Japanese companies. To name a couple, Kodansha, and Shuiesha. Both of them have had me send back work, and they have published small Manga of mine many times. You may not believe this, but that is your choice. What I am trying to say to everyone is that if you work hard, like I certainly have, you may make it in Japan, no matter what the person above me says. Thank you and have a nice night.
by J. M. rate this post as useful

I agree!!! J. M 2006/6/22 11:22
i would like to know few things like how did u take ur first step as a mangaka? i mean how did u send them ur work? and do u send ur works in japanese? if i send my work in english will they translate it for me or just ditch it without reading it? and can u gimme the address of the publisher u work for? Thank you!

The Truth 2006/6/25 11:46
Some on please tell me this, but is it truly possible to become a Mangaka in Japan or not? And if not could I be an assistant writer or something?
by Louis rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2006/6/26 08:14
Yeah, I've been wondering for while. I too want to become a manga-ka for a shoujo magazine like Ribon, Nakayoshi, Ciao, etc. but I've yet to find out if they accept submissons from overseas if the person is fluent in Japanese. If not, I'll take into consideration about moving to Japan. I know this sounds like a big dream but I've always wanted to have a career in an art field. Anways, keep searching for your own dreams everyone and don't give up, Do everthing you can to reach it! (Corny I know ^^)
by Run, run, for your life! rate this post as useful

. 2006/7/19 14:47
I googled this:
http://www.angelfire.com/geek/tetrisnomiko/mangaka/becomemangaka.html

--I don't neccesarily agree to everything written there, but it may help someone.

Personally, I don't see what the whole deal is about everyone wanting to be a manga-ka in Japan. Japan, as already stated, has thousands of aspiring manga-ka, it would probably be to your greatest advantage to hit it up in your own country and seem more original, being that manga is starting to grow rapidly, especially in the U.S..

Tokyopop seems to fully embrace non-japanese manga-ka. There website even tells you how to get in: http://www.tokyopop.com/aboutus/submissions.php

How ever... concerning tokyopop's foreign artists (meaning U.S. artists)... I haven't seen one that I really thought was good. I can see the effort they put into their work, but every one of them seem sloppy and do not have the same feel to them as manga made in Japan... it may be the digital tones... I don't know.
To me it seems that Tokyopop will hire anyone from the given evidence.

For myself, I'm really pending on whether to become a manga artist. I think in time I can do it, because my highest abilities are of drawing and writing, but there's always that lingering feeling of.."is it worth it?" Money is a big factor. I still have a lot of practice ahead of me on everything. And then there is the whole "drive" to it... I got my hands on a copy of Death Note the other day... and the art made my stomach drop... it just blew me away! So much detail, everything looked perfect... I felt like puking! I was terrified because I know how difficult manga is to draw... Pretty much the problem is the mental capacity to keep up with drawing the manga and every singe detail that goes with it.

Like many have said, you really should attempt to draw a short story manga before you make life-changing decisions. Once you actually experience what it is like to draw manga, then you may want to try a totally different career.

--

It seems that so many people want to be a manga-ka, I'd be curious to see everyone's work here. Maybe we can all help each other out. :)

Here's some of my art:
http://kitty-neko.deviantart.com/
by Juno rate this post as useful

I am disheartend 2006/7/23 23:55
i am disheartend to have seen what seishi kishimoto had drawn in his manga i will not say what he had put but because of this i have given up my dream of becoming a mangaka because of him and also i will never read manga again.
by Angry Dude rate this post as useful

to angry dude 2006/7/24 10:08
what happened? i really want to know! perhaps we can help u..

Where Can i learn japanese in london 2006/7/25 04:05
hi fellow manga fans were can i learn japanese in london and also how do i send work to shuiesha because i want to do that in the next 2 years.
by Shmuck rate this post as useful

This Is What Happend 2006/7/25 04:14
Well If You have heard of a manga called 666 satan or O-Part hunter well in some of his pictures in certain panels he has a character which have the kk written on them i think its in volume 8 i dont know why he put it but its really upset me and now i dont like manga anymore.
by Angry Dude rate this post as useful

To Angry Dude 2006/7/25 07:52
kk?what do u mean? i don't get it ..can u show me the picture?

Page 4 of 12: Posts 61 - 80 of 223
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
next

reply to this thread