Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 4 of 6: Posts 61 - 80 of 107
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

Took a break 2006/7/16 23:40
Yet another Graphic Designer who is now living in Japan. I'm from Los Angeles with a BA degree in Graphic Design. I worked for 3 years as a Designer before I became disenchanted with the corporate/design world and ran away here.
I've been teaching English since March of this year and I'm feeling the need to step back into a creative atmosphere/mind-set again.
I'm still on the fence about either going back home after my 1 year contract is up to find a Design job in California again OR fighting my way into a design position somewhere (anywhere) in Japan.
From what I've read so far, it seems pretty dificult. Then again, it was extremely cut-throat back in L.A., too!
So, if anyone has any updates, information, or leads into what is going on in the "Graphic Design Japan community" please keep me posted!!!
harvey@mmmhm.com
by Harvey H rate this post as useful

Thanks hitomi!! 2006/7/20 08:29
Hitomi thanks by your answer, well I'm learning japanese I hope to do it soon. And I hope to get a good answer :)

Take care.
by Antonieta rate this post as useful

help me please 2006/7/23 08:57
hi im gonna be a senior in september and ive always wanned to be a game designer
i would rally like to move to japan after high school and study in a technical school over at JP.could some one please tell me about some technical schools and how i could enter them
by chris rate this post as useful

Same boat 2006/7/27 17:13
It is a good thing that we were all able to find this site and communicate to each other. I am a Designer out of Denver, Colorado, USA. I have been working on a degree for a few years and have hopes of being able to find a job in Japan. I visted Japan last year and cannot wait to return. The country has my heart.I don't have much experience in the deisgn world but have ambition and some talent to boot. I'd like to get into contact with others who have the same interests. I will follow up on some of the emails posted here with oppertunities but assume that there are many people doing the same and the chances are slim. This said, there is never a good reason to put off something you love and hope for. GOod luck to everyone. Ja matane =)
alex@stratisphere.net
by Stratisphere rate this post as useful

Kanji wa chotto muzukashi 2006/8/3 16:31
Well I was also a designer, print, web and also for multimedia in my country. This year I arrived at Japan and now I am searching for other options here in japan. language is the main barrier here. you can beat your compettitor by your designing skills but not by language. actually their thinking is that, if you dont know japanese then you can`t communicate with your co-workers and you may not get the exact theme. so my suggestion is just simple, study Nihongo (japanese), atleast you should have good vocabulary and yah if possible learn 500-1000 Khanji`s (its a chinese letters. simple grammer and scentece pattern will work great.
try it luck is all yours!
by Raj Gurung rate this post as useful

Konnichiwa! 2006/8/9 00:06
Hello everyone! I'm going to say that I am shocked by how many people want to work in Japan as a Graphic Designer! I'm 17, and I'm an upcoming senior in high school, but there's not really any graphic design classes at my school, so hopefully I can go to a design school, get a bachelors degree, and be able to work/live in Japan in the future! I'm currently learning the language by listening to the music, and listening to podcasts (at Japanesepod101.com), and it's helpful. It's going to take a while and a lot of effort, but I'm sure I can do it, and everyone else can too. I hope everyone can achieve their dream to work/live in Japan! Ganbatte! ^_^
by Sarah rate this post as useful

Ending up in Japan 2006/9/10 13:47
I'm 20, and so far have one year of Graphic Design (Art Institute). My dream and goal has always been to persue graphics and travel abroad and possibly even live in Japan doing such since I can remember. Any suggestions on what steps I should take to get to the point where I'm at least there studying if not more in graphics, it would be appreciated!
by JessieB rate this post as useful

language 2006/9/29 11:03
Of all the postings I have read it seems like the biggest obstacle is the language barrier . Which means that all the graphic designers that wanted to work in Japan did not get the job because of the language rather than the portfolio.
by sandro colin rate this post as useful

genki 2006/10/25 16:12
I am another practicing Graphic Designer in Melbourne Australia, who is planing on going to Japan early next year (2007).

At this stage rather than taking a step back as a designer, for a year or more, I have a second plan in the makings. The market already exists, and it would be working for myself, but there is still enough room to move with this market and it is still very popular.

The key to anyone wishing to persue a design career in Japan who doesnt understand the language within a business environment, should consider self employment. Study niche markets, and trends. There is little that hasnt been at least re-done 2 times over, but it is a possibility to jump into the environment with a complete Westernised perspective on Design.
This is only food for thought!
And it is something that I have been researching into for a while now, and will persue during my own time.

If interested in further discussing these ideas and possible joint ventures please feel free to email me.

My Design backgrounds cover most, from print or multimedia and web development, illustration, photography, etc etc..
by Myles rate this post as useful

Designers in Japan 2006/11/16 05:48
Hi,

Was reading your emails about GD in Japan. I am a AD/GD with much experience having worked in US and Europe.

I have interviewed with several top studios in Tokyo.

Here's my two cents...

First you need to get your working visa for anyone to take you seriously for an interview.

If your a student... go to Japan and study at a Design University. When you graduate, you then know the language and have a good chance of a studio hiring you out of college and it won't be a big deal getting your visas.

Some of the guys I've talked with in Tokyo studied in the US and didn't know a word of English when they landed but just kept moving forward.

If they can do , so can you.

I'm actually old school but have worked for some great studios in London, Milan and was a Design Director with MTV in New York.

Be prepared to work your ass off and work late nights as the Japanese live to work... even on weekends.

I'm actually looking to learn Japanese fluently and in two years time plan on being a Design Professor at one or several of the Universities in the Tokyo area.

Until then, I plan on working freelance with the studios I've been chatting with.

Drop a line if I can help with any questions.

Also... be prepared to drop some change for an apartment up front. Most places want 4-6 months security deposit before handing over the keys but sometimes you can find a break.

Goodluck and if you want the experience bad enough... Go for it.

Mike

by Mike rate this post as useful

. 2006/11/17 21:56
is it just me or does everyone else hate the word "portfolio"?...(;-_-)?
by d(^_^;) rate this post as useful

Graphic design in japan 2006/11/18 12:56
Hi, I used to be a graphic/web designer and had worked in many different countries in Asia. I now lived in japan as a brand director in a corporate environment. What i want to tell you guys is - working as a graphic designer in Japan is probably the worst in the world, especially working in the design agent (with exception of packaging design which is very competitive).

Two main reasons :
1. most clients here don't understand design and their taste are awful.
2. to be a designer in Japan doesn't required a design education background. most designers here in Japan are just those people who learn how to use graphic softwares. they are basically 'operator' but called themselves 'designer.

Being able to speak Japanese is only an excuse. I didn't speak Japanese for almost 3 years with a job. People speak English in Tokyo. Of course the ability to speak japanese is a bonus. but if you demonstrate the skill they need, they will hire you.

I am now looking for a designer to help me out, and it is very hard to find a good one which match my need in Japan. even so, i'm hesitate to hire someone outside of Japan (although we can sponsor). :-(

Most people come to Japan to be an English teacher for a couple of months while looking for their passion job.
so, maybe i will see one of you soon.
by shu rate this post as useful

Internships? 2007/1/2 08:09
Hi,

Im a second year BA Graphic Design student in London. I have JLPT level 2 and lived in Japan a couple of years ago as an English teacher. I was wondering what my chances of gaining an internship in a design company in Japan was? Also, if it is possible, how I go about it?

I was thinking about going to do this course at Temple University this summer (http://www.temple.edu/studyabroad/programs/summer/japan/media-arts.html). Would this increase my chances of gaining a job in Japan?

I have 3 years commercial experience as an Artworker in London. (DTP Operator) I have also worked with Japanese advertisements and clients, although I have never spoken Japanese with them.

If you could give me some advice, please email me.

karekora**at**yahoo.co.uk

many thanks
by Karen rate this post as useful

industrial design 2007/1/6 19:20
Hi all,
I'm a boy with a degree in Industrial Design and now I'm finishing to take the master degree.
I can use 3d studio max, Rhinoceros, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Freehand ........
What about finding work in this field in Japan??? I can't speak Japanese for now, maybe in the future, but I know Italian, English and French.
Do big and important industries (like Sony, Toyota, Honda...) assume not Japanese people???

Thank you! Bye!
Barth
by Barth rate this post as useful

jump in the boat 2007/1/8 06:36
I recently graduated as a Graphic Designer in Cape Town, South Africa. I'm interested in doing internships all over Asia, if you guys get any answer please share!

c:
by Carine rate this post as useful

Graphic design 2007/1/10 13:57
Working for a Japanese design company really isn't as great as you all seem to think...the hours can be REALLY long, the pay is bad, the methods tend to be very old fashioned, as does the work ethic of many companies, and also graphic design in general here is pretty bad as well. Of course I can't speak for all companies but these are things I've learnt from my own experiences and friends who work here.

I would think about why it is you want to work in Japan as a designer before you start looking for jobs.

One option I would recommend is coming to Japan on a working holiday visa (I don't think this is available to American people), this allows you to work part time and you could use the rest of your time to do freelance work and meet clients etc.

Good luck to those that really want it.
Best wishes,
Jefferson
by jefferson rate this post as useful

design jobs 2007/9/1 22:11
wow! so many people looking for a design job in japan!!! cool, the best thing is make a company together!! anyone with money??? hahahahahaha

im a graphic designer from the netherlands, and im also looking for a creative job over there, and looking for a producer to fabricate the toys i designed

so if anybody knows anybody who knows anybody that knows someone who can help (^_-)
by jesse BrauNn rate this post as useful

The board is gone 2007/10/2 09:11
As I am still receiving messages asking for the bulletin board I had created for graphic designers in Japan, I would like to let you know that it was closed some time ago, because it seemed that no one was really interested.
Anyway, I would like to thank the few ones that contacted me asking about it.
Good luck to all!
by GoodieJP rate this post as useful

wow.. 2007/10/3 03:30
Alot of interested GFX Designers here eh.

Me myself have been playing with Graphic Deisgn for years now and i went to college to study Multimedia Design.

I design and build websites along with my other T-Shirts/Stickers etc. Im keen on going over to Japan again so yeah lets get something going here guys.

Feel free to email me too,
xxxx@hotmail.com

Cheers
-Mint
by mint rate this post as useful

Graphic Designer moving to Japan 2007/10/17 23:57
I can not believe how many graphic designers want to move to Japan for work. I am as well a GD and for two years I was the Art Director for a publication company in Texas. However I now live in Albuquerque, New Mexico because my Husband is in the Air Force and it sucks here for graphic designers. We again will have to move because he received orders to Okinawa, Japan. I am really glad I have come across this chat bulletin, so does anyone know of how I can get started with pursuing a job there or even where should I begin...Should I learn the language? Any help would be appreciated.
by amylynn rate this post as useful

Page 4 of 6: Posts 61 - 80 of 107
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

reply to this thread