Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 50 of 233: Posts 981 - 1000 of 4650
prev
1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 233
next

R and R 2008/11/4 02:35
Arrived Key West Conch Republic. 80 degrees warm breezes and cool drinks. Heaven!!! Talk later... beach now.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Peter 2008/11/4 03:31
Have a great time - cool, gray and gloomy up in the northeast, so you're not missing a thing.
by Steffi rate this post as useful

Oh My 2008/11/4 10:01
Wally oh.. they have one for you called mojitos it has lime and stuff very nice. Thanks Steffi. Thinging of all of you. Got here. Powerboat races and parrotheads convention. Wally there are about 500 bars here. Don't thonk they will see us all. Already won a fishing trip! Not sure what I'll do if I catch one.
Its sure nice to wear shorts and a short sleve shirt. Sun is hot!. Will keep in touch

Peter 2008/11/6 05:58
Do they have a Peanut Club there?
by Wally rate this post as useful

Sloppy Joes 2008/11/6 11:07
Sorry Wally no Peanuts club but This is a hoppin place! I'm surprised that you didn't pick up my spelling errors. Your slipping. Saw the powerboat races from the top of the hotel. One boat hit the wind the wrong way and went over twice and came up right side up. Fishing trip scrubbed. Boat was out of service. Went by Sloppy Joes Bar Wally you'd like it. Very informal. I might get used to this. Hugged a palm tree for you guys.

I'm Back 2008/11/10 06:21
Back home from the sunny south. I'm usually happy to be back but with the rain and cold, I honestly can say I'll miss the palm trees. Last night there slept with the patio door open with the warm breezes. Had a good time, will miss it. Hey Wally how about a theme bar ? Called the Peanuts Club.

Welcome home, Peter! 2008/11/10 09:25
Glad you had a good time. Now that you're in the spirit of travel, you should come down to NYC. The Museum of Natural History is having an interesting film festival this weekend - I think it's called the Margaret Mead Film Festival - films by/about Indonesia, China, various African countries, etc. Also their exhibits right now are spectacular. And you can bring your ice skates - they're opening a brand new ice skating rink - I think on top of one of their buildings or something. Of course - no palm trees here - the fall colors are just about gone, but still it's warm (relatively) and pleasant.

NYC 2008/11/10 13:47
Steffi Thanks for the invite. But probably won't happen right now. Believe it or not I may be off to California next week on business. I met Margret Mead In Washington DC about 1975. I was a groupie with the Nutmeg Group, a very loose band of environmental workers. My job was to set up a senate hearing room for testimony for Ms Mead and others. Went to lunch with her and some folks. As for skating I never caught on, as a kid in Massachusetts went skating on a pond and twisted my ancle so bad they thought it was broken. Love to watch. Our family did have an iceboat which we took out on a rare winter day when the ice was smooth. Talk about cold. Man. Could not do that now. But it was a real rush. But tough on the boat. We would manage to break it almost every time and spend the rest of the week making a new runner plank. As it often was below zero and the boat would go 60 or more we figured the wind chill was about 150 below zero. Exposed skin.. you know the rest. Hey any word from Kyoto? I'm not expecting any great insight but might be fun to see what she can tell us. Getting settled in. I have a parrot, a cockertoo named Molly, she and the birdsitter have a good time when were gone but she is so happy to see us its pathetic. Stuck like glue. So spoiled. I would love to see the museum of natural science. Janet has been hinting at seeing the Rockettes of all things, at Radio City Music Hall. The leaves are now almost all gone and are taunting me like a street gang, come on big boy lets see what you got. One final push, three days should do it. Hope the machinery holds up.

Peter and Steffi 2008/11/11 00:59
I saw the Rockettes in 1961 and loved them, but, man, they must be getting pretty old by now.

Yokohama 2008/11/11 02:32
Yup Wally, you must be right.
OK Steffi, you want a crack at him, he's wide open.

Peter and Steffi 2008/11/11 06:14
Okay, here's something serious. I had several college Sociology courses in the late 1960's and my professors did not seem to be fans of Margaret Mead. I can't remember what all the fuss was about, but I remember one of my professors saying that she was rather unprofessional in her early studies. I really don't know what to think, can you enlighten me?

Mead 2008/11/11 12:13
Her research on islanders was faulty to the point of being rediculous. Her books and articles were based on made up stories, made up by her subjects. Most of what she wrote has been proven to be bunk. Later historians suggest she even knew her accounts were fraudulent.
by Eric rate this post as useful

Mead 2008/11/11 23:08
Wally et al. As I remember the contraversery had not fully reached out when I had the chance to meet her. At the time I only knew that she was famous for her work and her book Comming of Age in Samoa, which apparently ruffled many feathers as to the sexual freedoms they portrayed. Im not sure if her work was ever thought of as bunk. She did challenge some accepted thories. To me she was one of those larger than life characters that I happened to meet. I don't hold an opinion one way or the other on her work, except that I am aware that some pretty big flaps happened. There is an article in Wikipedia on her that seems fair enough.I don't recall what the senate hearing was about, but it was pretty cool just being there. The lady in charge of our little group seemed to have many connections and was a character of the first order. My job at the hearing was to hold her cat. It would be fun to know the different world level personds we all have met in our lives. I expect that Steffi has met a considerable number of them.

Meade, Rockettes, etc 2008/11/12 02:40
Hi people - what a newly lively discussion. Don't know much about Meade - I didn't read her books, though I remember the articles and her appearances on tv.
The issues that come up with her have to do with the nature of fields like anthropology, sociology, and psychology, and even archeology, which are considered by many to be marginal or "soft" sciences in that they're not taken as seriously as are the hard sciences, like physics and chemistry, because they study people, meaning that traditional scientific methods aren't appropriate and new ways to study have to be invented. People can't be studied the same way as rocks, stars, animals, bacteria, etc. You can't cut open a living brain, you can't observe people's activities without affecting them, and you can't quantify the same way and things are inexact and ideas very subjective. So the only thing you can do is make observations as best as you can, do interviews, compare cultures, use common sense and experience, and develop theories and ideas that may or may not be accepted by other scientists. I don't think Meade was being fraudulent, and she was a shrewd observer who wasn't held back by the western mores of her time. But whenever scientists deal with things like sex, whether it's Freud, or Kinsey, or Meade, there is a lot of upset all around and people feel threatened and many will disagree. So, who knows if her ideas made real sense or not?
As for the Rockettes - no, they're not old. The original ones from years past are, but new dancers are hired all the time. Here's a video below of their practicing - so you should definitely bring your wife, Peter, to enjoy them - you only live once. They perform I think now through the end of December at Radio City several times a day.

http://www2.msg.com/video.jsp?videoID=1863403887

Les Paul & Mary Ford 2008/11/12 06:25
As long as we're talking about entertainers, its interesting to note that Les Paul is to be honored at a special even at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next week. Les is 91 years old.
I remember listening to Les and Mary on FEN every day. I think they had a 15 minute radio program in the 1950s. 15 minutes gave them enough time for about four of their signatures. My favorite would have to be "How High the Moon" which I think is uniquesly American.
Cheers.

Veterans Day 2008/11/12 10:30
Heres to the Veterans of all countries our friends and foes alike who either as a volunteer or drafted served their country and in many cases gave everything they had and more. I'll admit, I like military movies, but today films like Saving Private Ryan and Das Boot take on a deeper meaning. Here's to my old friend Tony Miller who, as a navy pilot, did not complete his very first carrier landing. A couple of others too, but for another time perhaps. Also for Erics dad and Wally and me in a very small way. And if my numbers serve me for the 100 million military and civilians world wide in WW2. And to Steffi, who by the grace and forsight of her parents, got out in time leaving their fatherland for an unknown country. And Lori who was there for her parents and husband. And a special thanks for my neighbor, Art Reynolds, who died in a car accident a couple of years ago. He was a Battan March survivor a quiet man with corney jokes, even worse than Wallys.
As for the Rockettes, I wouldn't think of going without my wife, why should she have all the fun. And thanks for the Les Paul clip. Had a little band once and played guitar, sure would love to play a Les Paul. Steffi, is your violin German or Italian? My guess, Italian.

cheers 2008/11/12 11:38
Thanks to whomever cleaned up my error-plagued posts on Les Paul.
If in doubt, go to Youtube Les Paul.
There must be someone looking after this site...

Les Paul 2008/11/12 11:50
Must have been admin.

Veteran's Day, violins, and Les Paul 2008/11/12 12:18
That was a touching statement, Peter - and I join in the sentiments. Veterans get so little recognition among the general public. Your message reminded me that my Dad, who was considerably older than my Mom, was a veteran also - of the first world war, and of course on the side of the Germans. The story I heard was that, not wanting to fight, or kill anyone, he taught himself to play clarinet, since violin wasn't a band instrument. He then spent the war playing in a band instead of fighting. Later on, this skill came in handy when we went to Japan, since there was no one to teach clarinet there, so he taught both violin and clarinet. I remember his kidding around with his clarinet - taking it apart, piece by piece, while playing it, when at the end there was nothing but the mouthpiece!
As for his violin, it was a German instrument, unfortunately, which was out of favor most of the time. As a kid, in all our wanderings, on trains, boats, whatever, it was my job to carry it. Eventually, when we arrived in NY, my Mom sold it for a hundred dollars, and used the money to buy me a bed! I actually never played it, but learned to play viola in high school years later.
Les Paul - there are so many videos of him on youtube. Truly a great man. I'm glad he's being honored while he's still alive.
Of course I meant to say that you, Peter, and your wife would be going together to see the show at Radio City - my wording was just bad - sorry - I know that you had said she'd suggested it. I was putting in a word for you guys both going.

Steffi 2008/11/12 12:52
What a wonderful story. My joke about the Rockettes was lost, not your fault. Do you still play viola. I have my guitar but haven't given a concert in years getting pretty rusty. An italian friend of mine here got talking one day and I asked him if he was ever in the italian army. He sheepishly told me that every man is required to serve one year. I asked him what he did in the italian army. He told me he was a bartender! The italians know how to live. What a gig. Maybe I should take Wally with me to the music hall. I think that he likes both types of music..country AND western. I like different types of music at different times. Today in the epic battle of the leaves a healthy dose of Wagner would have fit in. I am winning!

Page 50 of 233: Posts 981 - 1000 of 4650
prev
1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 233
next

reply to this thread