Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 54 of 233: Posts 1061 - 1080 of 4651
prev
1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 233
next

Greetings 2008/12/24 23:52
I would also like to wish you all a verry Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah. May the Peace and Joy of the world be yours this year and forever.
The last 14 days has been a remarkable experience. Our home and shop are OK but it was a 48 hour non-stop struggle to thaw pipes . I spoke with our police chief yesterday and he tells me that there are some individual homes still without power after the wicked ice storm. Most of Kingston NH is back to "normal". The 6 inch snow that they predicted on Sunday turned into a whopping 14 inches, total on the ground now about 3 1/2 feet. Janet is better and we have gotten a full nights sleep now in almost two weeks. I don't dare weigh myself. Thank you all especially Steffi for her concern and support. This one will make the record books. I pray that we can slide now till spring without any power outages. I have many tales to tell but for another time. Prehaps at our JP Guide reunion here in Kingston next summer. What did I say! I feel I have gotten to know you all pretty well, and I'm ready to have some fun and party. Its weird, I don't know what any of you look like. Maybe I should keep it at that, you tell me. Wally, where is your friend Jeanne? Anyway, Merry Christmas. Time for an egg nog with a little something.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Greetings to everyone! 2008/12/25 00:08
Peter, you're sounding almost like your old self! I notice your area of NH is almost up to freezing - an improvement over the single digits, anyway. Glad your wife is feeling better - pneumonia is serious. Your "reunion" idea for next summer sounds great - we should work on that.

I wish you and Eric, Wally, Lori, and everyone else who's recently "visited" this thread a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!
by Steffi rate this post as useful

106th site now 2008/12/25 13:53
I was never assigned to the 106th, but I was part of a group of high school students who visited the wards on Sundays in 1968-69. I lived near the site in the late 1980s. It is now a large public park. There is a subway station nearby, Kishinekoen, and the Kanagawa Prefecture Budokan (martial arts center) is on the grounds.
by Gordon rate this post as useful

Holiday Greetings 2008/12/25 16:18
Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous 2009 to everyone!

Here in Washington state we are digging out of an unusually large amount of snow. And temps have been much below average. We have had only short duration power outages in our area, but we personally have not lost electric service.

Eric.....are you in Seattle? I live close to Shelton. Peter would LOVE to visit my hometown of Port Townsend....an antique "mecca".
by Lori rate this post as useful

i lived in Yokohama, 2008/12/26 08:04
I lived and 231B in Area 2 and was YO-HI student.. My favorite place to visit was the Shinto Shrine close to the beach...
Got to ask Audie Murphy for autograph at the snack bar when he was in Japan making a movie .. too the kiddies he was a WW2 war hero.. http://www.yohidevils.net/
I miss the wonderful people food, and lol even the old style of the squat in place benjo's.. I remember enough Japanese to eat, how much something costs, and benjo-wa doko dozo... kudasai.. I was searching more pictures.. and found this website..
by SONJA rate this post as useful

Lori 2008/12/27 08:50
Hey lori. Here you got some snow ? We've had a little here. I'm trying to get a feel if anyone would like to come to NH next summer for a little get together. I got one taker already. Bit of a distance for you guys but it doesn't hurt to ask. I suppose before I go to far I will have to clear it through the boss. Had I good Christmas but spoke too soon had ice damm damage from our little event. See you tube NH ice storm 08. Hope you had a good holiday. And a high to Sonja. When were you there?

Hi Sonja. 2008/12/27 11:06
Please tell when you were in Yokohama and at YoHi. Area 2 was across the street (Avenue d) from where we lived in the Sannotani district.
by Eric rate this post as useful

Hi Lori 2008/12/27 23:01
Good morning;
No, not Seattle. My son who lives in Seattle was able to fly out last Sunday, on the last airplane out, apparently. We are having out Chritsmas holiday here in Missouri. Yesterday it was 67 F and we drove down to Bennette Springs to watch fly fishermen work their trout catching magic and walk in the state park.
Gad--the weather on both coasts in lousy right now. Glad we live in the middle.
by Eric rate this post as useful

Happy New Year! 2008/12/31 01:42
Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas or Chanukah holiday. Here in NYC today it's 41 degrees - normal for this time of year - but we're expecting wet and windy weather for New Year's eve, which is too bad, but clear and back to icy cold on New Year's Day.

May the New Year bring peace, and a better life for those in need. All the best to everyone.

Where Yokohama Navy Exchange was... 2008/12/31 07:11
The original was that strip along the water that had 31 Flavors at the Right end but the Exchange was on the Left End. Later they built that big new commissary in the center of town near the Church and schoolyard with the white picket fence. That was during '77-'79.
What was the name of the "fancy" restaurant next to 31 Flavors?
by Lisa M. Haugen rate this post as useful

Happy New Year 2008/12/31 07:38
To all of my good friends here, I wish you all a verry happy New Year. I expect Steffi is going to be at times square at midnight with all of the thousands of others. We are going to be enjoying a quiet evening at home with a friend or two. We will sit in the living room enjoying the luxury of electricity and heat. " You don't know what you've got till it's gone". Joni Mitchell? Thinking of Lori is getting a lot of snow. Be safe, love all.

Happy New Year 2008/12/31 09:50
All the best to all of you in 2009!. And, remember:
A bell isn't a bell until it is rung,
A song isn't a song until it is sung,
Love in your heart wasn't put there to stay,
Love isn't love 'til you give it away!

Wally
by Wally rate this post as useful

New Year's Eve 2008/12/31 12:08
Actually, tomorrow night we're going to - you guessed it - the opera! There's a performance of "La Rondine" by Puccini. Please, please share it with me - the youtube performance below is with Angela Gheorghiu, who is fabulous and will be singing this beautiful music tomorrow night, along with her husband.

Again, all our best to everyone here - I'm so glad I found you all - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1e5w2W1RJs&feature=related
by Steffi and Ron rate this post as useful

Snow report 2008/12/31 15:27
Hi everyone! Actually here in our area of WA state, the snow is melting -- thankfully slowly so there is no flooding.

Yep, that's Joni Mitchell: The Day Paradise Built a Parking Lot...

RE: Lisa's post 2009/1/1 02:18
I'm pretty sure that the commissary Lisa has in mind is located at the Yokosuka Navy Base. I remember that they had a brand-new, large Commissary when I lived in Japan, which was April of '80 thru March of '82. Even though I lived in Yokohama, I went to Yokosuka quite frequently and was very familiar with that Base.

Also the Atsugi Navy Base (Airfield) had a fairly new Navy Exchange at that time because the previous one burned.

Steffi 2009/1/2 05:23
I watched your opera on you tube. How does she do that ? Hope you had a nice new years eve. We went out to dinner with a friend here in Kingston, had a great time but didn't dare travel furthur because of the travel conditions. Did some repairs today it is -6 F with the wind chill. all pretty wiped out here. Received conditional approval from "the boss" to host out little reunion here next summer. Any takers? As for opera, I'm told she is on TV every afternoon about four.

Peter - New Year's Eve 2009/1/2 06:39
Glad you enjoyed the opera bit! As for this singer being on TV, I think it must be someone else - Gheorghiu is a big star and as far as I know has only done short interviews on tv from time to time.

New Year's Eve in NYC is an adventure - there were over 1 million people in Times Square, many from out of town, and almost as many outdoors in Rockefeller Center where a big show was going on. My husband and I were 20 blocks north, about a mile, in Lincoln Center. We had really cold weather - not as cold as Peter's -6 degrees - how do you dress for that? - but about 13 degrees plus serious wind and some snow from earlier in the day - but there were fancy galas going on at Lincoln Center, with people dressed up in formal gowns and black tie - very exciting, very crowded, lots of noise, typical NYC, where nothing gets halted by any kind of weather. Of course when it snows, that's a problem - the stuff has to be picked up by the city and dumped in the rivers since there's no room to just push it over!

We decided to ride the subway down to Lincoln Center, thinking that maybe our garaged car couldn't handle the cold, and found the train full of all kinds of people heading for Times Square - this was at around 6 PM, so by the time the ball dropped, they must have been really frozen. Coming back home afterwords, it was too cold to wait for our bus, so we grabbed a cab and made it home before midnight.

Hope you're all keeping warm and are having a nice New Year's Day.

Steffi 2009/1/2 10:40
Taxi in New York. Was it the Cash Cab. Sorry you missed my little joke. Opera/Oprah
anyway, Two pairs of long johns, two pairs of socks, down jacket, and one of those mad bomber hats with the floppy ear flaps, I call it my "Ya you Betcha" hat after the movie Fargo. Plus huge boots. Basically its your Mt Everest gear. I love the summer when I can see my body again. Why do I live here ? We hear that some people were out in NYC for 13 hours. Janet asks.. where did they go to the Bathroom? Its a girl thing. We were wondering who is playing at the Schooner Wharf bar in Key West. Looked at a place there last year but timing wasn't right. Plus it had to come down a little. Dispite my griping, New Hampshire is beautiful this time of year, There is a little stream that we pass over to get to out house, It has a old mill on it, the oldest in the state, The sides are iced up but the stream flows with this shiny dark blue color, it looks like a painting. Now comes Janet who acknowledges my intrest in all you guys, and extends her hello. We are involved in developing a very large internet project that I will tell you all about sometime. Hope all are well. If I was a wise a** I would joke about what I think Wally did for new years, but after the touching poem on love he posted it wouldn't seem right.

Facilities 2009/1/3 00:21
Send Janet our hello also. To answer her girl-thing question - before midnight, there were no facilities except for the usual onces at surrounding bars, restaurants and best of all, hotels. At midnight, temporary facilities have been provided by Charmin, the paper people, for several years now. The trouble with all this is that once people were in the viewing sections, the police pretty much kept them there, I guess for security reasons. I get claustrophobic just thinking about it, and we have never gone, though our kids have. NH sounds lovely - enjoy!

New years 2009/1/3 02:14
Steffi. Thanks for the info. Janet [ who is starting to wonder what this is all about] thinks the security areas remind her of cattle pens. got her starting to think again about going to NYC. She found a place for us to stay, called the Manhattan Club on W 50 something. We can time share there but it won't be any time soon. I'd like to here from the other guys as to their holiday goings on.

Page 54 of 233: Posts 1061 - 1080 of 4651
prev
1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 233
next

reply to this thread